2006 attack problem, need help

waynemags

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
just got out of the yammy shop for pre season. told me there was a coolant leak and fixed. also i knew the battery was dead and they said it checked out fine. now here we are in revelstoke. get it off the trailer, go to fire it up and battery almost dead. jumped it and it started finally. then notice the temp light on. took it for little burn around in the deeper snow to cool the coolers and light went out. stopped and let it idle while getting geared up and it died. question number 1: if battery is toast , being EFI will it die with not enough juice? and the coolant leak. noticed something dripping from pan cover underneath on the pto side ( right side looking from seat). tasted it and it tasted like antifreeze. any known issues with these sleds with waterpumps or leaks? not sure exactly what they fixed at dealer untill we get back home.

shawnmcgr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had a rectifier go (as a result of hitting a tree), it's amazing how long an apex can run off of just he battery. But ya eventually without juice it dies. Have you checked rectifier connections, seems like it's not getting a charge. Have you checked voltage while it's running? I've never tried but maybe you can enter diagnostic mode while it's running and check battery voltage.

As far as I know, no known coolant problems.

1crazieyamaha

Reaction score
When the machine was running was it possible that it hit the shut off for heat... motor temp... U can leave a yamaha running all day and when it hits a certain temp it will shut down and prevent overheat....Do you idle lots??? If you do stop filling your antifreeze to see if it stops blowing it out... sone people actually install and extra overflow bottle. The temp light when u boost is showing that it is cold not hot.... at 18 degrees c it will shut off.(not sure if that is exactly the temp). Efi will not start if volts are low. My best guess is you have two unrelated issues.

Last edited:

rx1guy

Reaction score
I would check all of the above. 1crazieyamaha said exactly what I was thinking. The temp light on startup of a cold engine means exactly that, cold engine, and you shouldn't move the sled until the light goes out and the engine is warm. But if you have had the sled for awhile you should already know that. Yes the engine will eventualy die if the battery weakens. Something may be draining your battery, you will have to do some testing and do a process of illimination. Start with the most obvious like the battery cables and electric sheild plug if it has one. Most sheild plugs are connected directly to the battery and can drain the battery if they are faulty, I have had it happen. As far as the anyifreeze leake goes there are no problems with the yammy 4stroke as far as I know. My wife has a 06 attack and I have a 03 rx1. I noticed some anti freeze leaking from the bottom of the belly pan from the plate that you have to remove to drain the oil on my rx1. There are some 1" rubber cooling line that run between the belly pan and engine that are attached with hose clamps and the hose clamps were leaking. I tightened them up and the leak stopped. They are a rear pain to get at. You will have to remove the plastic plate on the bottom of the belly pan to see them. Its a place to start.

Top Bottom