1979 citation wont run

98citation

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have a 1979 skidoo citation 4500 and will not run, i cleaned the carb,and also put in new spark plugs and wires, new gas
it has good spark its getting fuel and doesnt even make a pop like its eqleast trying to run i dont know what else could be wrong? {the compression is a little low to but not bad}

thanks,

Dustin

Nytroman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not sure what your definition of not bad compression is but if it has good spark and is getting fuel via the primer then if you give it enough the plugs will get soaking wet eventually then need to hold the throttle wide open till it fires. If it dont get the plugs wet its not getting fuel via the carb or primer for some reason. Plugs dry then throw a ounce of fuel donwn the plug holes and reinstall plugs hold throttle to the bar. still no fire repeat with new plugs , heated with a torch. pretty simple, just needs compression, spark and fuel to atleast fire a couple times. Then need to look for intake leaks etc why it wont fuel on its own

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
What do you consider a little low??? Just a question.
Put a tea spoon of unmixed oil down the holes, pull it over a 2X's without plugs. ( Easy )
put the plugs back in, and rip'er like your gonna steal it. The un mixed oil will give false compression, and will let you know from there.
I don't knoe the specs of a Citation, but I'm thinking about 115 - 120 is good?

98citation

Reaction score
Thank you for the tips i will go try them tomorrow and let you know what happened !

Thanks,

Dustin

98citation

Reaction score
Re: 1979 citation problems

One more question for ya what is my pto coil top or bottom? and is the spark plug wire from the bottom go to the closest spark plug or furthest one?

Nytroman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

One more question for ya what is my pto coil top or bottom? and is the spark plug wire from the bottom go to the closest spark plug or furthest one?

Off the top of my head the upper is the clutch, so top coil wire to the farthest plug

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Off the top of my head the upper is the clutch, so top coil wire to the farthest plug
I can go out to the shed and confirm if you're not 100%....I have 4 of them out there. the OP must have a 1980 4500, as they were still a 300 in '79. I have a '78, '79, '80 and '81, all running.

Nytroman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Maybe check, only 98% sure. Was wrong once before, but was a long long time ago, even my wife knows nothing of it.

Last edited:

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Maybe check, only 98% sure. Was wrong once before, but was a long long time ago, even my wife knows nothing of it.
you were 100% correct sir. upper coil to pto plug. your record remains intact

002Medium-1.jpg

Top Bottom