12 valve cummins build pics

kennyblatz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That should spool alright mines a little slower then I hoped but its a 67.8mm but when it does light its fun.

Youtube. "Cummins burnout kenny". Of corse that's not me

DKY

Reaction score
what would you stick behind that engine if it were an auto?

I got a 1995 12v xcab 4x4 auto, truck is stock, and its a turd

my auto has been upgraded, brazed fin TC (not sure maker), different vb and clutch basket upgrade too. not sure what all else, perhaps the input shaft upgraded too not sure. It probably needs yanked and gone thru again, if nothing else to freshen it up and verify parts inside.

part of my problem is with the higher pressure trans its holding gears longer, and the truck defuels, or if I bury my foot in the throttle it'll down shift and rev the hell out the engine to 2800-3k rpm and then I just sit there with no fuel to pick it back up.
definatly need gov springs I think that'd be a huge help

also, she's smoking like a bastard on cold mornings
I need to redo all the batt cables, perhaps freshen up the starter too. slow cranking..but still it shouldn't continue to pop and miss once lit off. I should switch to synthetic oil for winter for easier crank.
Thinking about plugging in new injectors and it prolly needs a new p pump..I was interested in the difference of the 96 p pump over the 94, 95 the same as 94?

need to find someone to pop test my injectors, or just plug in some new ones 600 bucks ish down here for the marine ones I think

have you guys done an axle swap over from a ford?

Polarblu

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
allot of qeustions. First i havnt built an auto yet. I had an 05 auto and relied on the programing de-fuel points in my edge system.
If you are holding a gear for that long you have a modified valve block in your trans. IMO. Probably set up to as a strict puller or maybe a F-up with a homemade shift kit.
I cant help you with the trans dude i just dont have the hands on knowledge.
The injector on the other hand i do know allot about, hard starts with a P-pump are almost always always injectors with black crusty crap all over the tip. It's happens and you suffer in economy and start-up. The spray isnt in the right spot and some of the 6-9 holes are just hitting carbon instead of a nice spray.
Marine injectors for the 12 valve should go to Industrial diesel and get reworked so the spray hits right. As you see in the picture of the block there is a hole in the cylinder. The spray has to hit it right, marines dont have this. I will update the thread when they get back, 80 more horse!!?? sounds to easy.....
IMO to handle more than 500 horse with an dodge auto is dicey at the best. Or shift it right!!! With a stocker you pedal hard till its ready to shift, back off let it shift and torque lock and power up. in my 05 i could slip the torque and grab 10 degrees by just holding it to the floor pulling 14000 pounds.
Hope this helps

DKY

Reaction score
ya I kinda control the shift by throttle input now, if I got a big load then sometimes I just hafta back off a bit to stay in a gear on lockup and just not go too fast up a hill, great for keeping the pyro down I guess -not that a stocker could heat it much anyways.

I've got a lot of work needs done on it

was admiring the pics you tossed up and got me to post, kinda nice to see 12v builds outside of the regular dodge forums

oh, I had a shop do my tranny. she went tits up and all I had was reverse
I found out these suckers will do abut 45-50 mph in reverse, after about 35 miles of backing up you get pretty good at it, although I did have a kink in my neck for a week afterwards :D

hippiekiller

Reaction score
Nv 4500 swap will probably cost about the same as a performance rebuild on an auto...imo a manual tranny is the only thing that belongs behind 300+hp....
Ford dana60 to dodge front end swap was covered over on pirate bay, if you search around there on the dodge forum you should find it...;)

jaredszakacs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
if your talking good power for the 05 w/programmer smarty is known to be te best for dodges. sweet truck man should go good real good! may have to try and track you down in the summer see what that thing will do looks good keep up the work man

dvst8r

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You will get quicker spool up running an AFC, it will also help control the smoke from your setup. The reason you will get quicker spool up is you can over fuel the turbo too early, same as getting too rich on a sled causes it to bog. Need to get the air in before the fuel.

A couple suggestions for getting rid of smoke:

-Get some .022 or .024 or SDX comp cut DV's vs laser cuts. Laser cuts are always hot and smoky, good for a N20 run at the track not much else.

-Get some other injectors, the marine 370's are hot and smoky, because they are the wrong spray angle for the pistons in your truck, they are too wide. If you were running early non ic'd first gen pistons, or marine pistons they would be okay.

Not a smoke suggestion, but a tuning one. Add some timing. I run 21ish (20 by the chart, 22 by the light) on my dd street truck. Stock head bolts re-torqued, no o-rings, stock 350,000km head gasket. This is with a set of medium sized twins (62 over an S480). I used to run a silver bullet 66mm on this same timing and fuel setup @ ~ 52psi. I am certainly playing with fire, but with the fire ring setup you have I would be running closer to 30. Well other then in the winter, as it would be a b**ch to start.

Barrels should be the same size in a 94 or a 96 @ 12mm's, however the 96 will should have the quick rate cam.

Nice looking truck, should be lots of fun. :beer:

Polarblu

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the injectors are out a going to Industrial injection to get reworked for the pistons, they say 80 more hp once the spray angle is corrected. we run a custom feul plate so that we dont over fuel as much as we can on spool up, its a # 6 plate that has been ground down a bit. it set in the middle position and we can move it closer to clean it up. I used all these parts because we have a nos set-up around the shop for it and the full power runs wont be frequent so nos will be fine. the special 66 turbo actually spools pretty fast the seat of the pants feel isnt a laggy one at all. All in all my customer just grins ear to ear when he gets time to play with it!!

Good info on the 96 pump i didn't know that!!

Polarblu

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
already tryed more timing and it just sounds like its coming apart at idle. Only going to crank that for drag runs and mudbogs. even 18 degrees was awful but under boost holy f@#k not enough traction till spring!!

Polarblu

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
[/ATTACH] Just an update. in for some major rust removal, and a little gun metal gray. bottoms of doors, front fender skins(inners re-welded back on) box skins, 4 inches off the bottom back of cab. Everything was blasted and sprayed while body was partially off.(cab stayed). Next is a 7 inch lift with a 2 inch puck to level in front. Not the cheap lift, the one that clocks the t-case. Still just a toy but getting to be a more expensive one!!!!! Really enjoying the build, love learning new stuff about the old trucks

Attachments

• P160311_16.35.jpg
    P160311_16.35.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 275

Polarblu

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
P160411_11.05.jpg

P160411_11.06.jpg

P160411_11.06_[01].jpg

P160411_11.06_[02].jpg

P160411_12.11.jpg

P160411_13.23.jpg

P160411_17.45.jpg
Todays progress on the old girl, had time between body re-assembly so we got at the lift. Still a long way to go but those are 35's and they look tiny after the back end is up!!

Polarblu

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
P160411_12.43.jpg

P160411_17.46.jpg

P160411_17.52.jpg

P160411_11.08.jpg

New injectores showed up today also. Pretty much max fuel for this turbo. The twin is on the table, havnt even got the nos hooked up yet..... getting ahead of ourselves but its fun so oh well!!!!

gotboost

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
nice build there polarblu cant wait till u get it on the track to get some numbers looks like u will have over 500 to 600 hp with that set up should scoot u down the track low 13 mid 12 seconds should be a fast 12 valve in my eyes they were the best engine dodge had :d

Polarblu

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
nice build there polarblu cant wait till u get it on the track to get some numbers looks like u will have over 500 to 600 hp with that set up should scoot u down the track low 13 mid 12 seconds should be a fast 12 valve in my eyes they were the best engine dodge had :d

Thanks man. I think we are in the 600 area, shooting for 800 and there is a new place in edmonton that has a dyno that can handle it so a road trip is in order. Never going to haul a camper in this one lol!!! Im 6 foot and on tip toes looking in the box and the 40's have to go on still. Have to change wheels to 17's also cause the tire choices are to limited in 16.

RMK Junky

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
You bringing that bad boy to the GP drag wars this summer ?
I know a couple of guys you would enjoy talking to :cool:
Ken Porcher and Bill Bondock. They have K2 Truck and Trailer here in GP.

Polarblu

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
P170411_17.56.jpg
progress was slow yesterday as every single bolt was a fight and most had to be cut. t-case back in, new tranny crosmember, and all the torque arms cut off.

Top Bottom