09 800 backfire

summitkid600

Reaction score
i just bought a brand new 2009 summit 800 and it backfires after you have been driving it for awhile i was just wondering if anyone else has had trouble with this, i only have 90km on it

Mister Bee

Reaction score
Mine does the same thing when you shut it off...it usually takes a couple of seconds then backfires, I got about 800km's on mine. It seems to do it about 25% of the time. If i let it idle a couple minutes before I shut it off it usually doesn't do it.

summitx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Most sleds will, it is very common. Every Doo I have ever had did the same thing. After you stop let it idle for a minute before you shut it off and it shouldn't backfire

Mine does the same thing when you shut it off...it usually takes a couple of seconds then backfires, I got about 800km's on mine. It seems to do it about 25% of the time. If i let it idle a couple minutes before I shut it off it usually doesn't do it.

maierch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i just bought a brand new 2009 summit 800 and it backfires after you have been driving it for awhile i was just wondering if anyone else has had trouble with this, i only have 90km on it

There are 4 of us that ride 08 XP's and everyone of them do it after hauling @ss down the trail for a lengthy period or after a long pull. I don't think it's a problem, however I have had flames shoot out of the bottom of the can, I only noticed that when riding at night. A minute of idling after seems to prevent it.

Sleeper700

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Like everyone is saying, give it at least 30 seconds to 1 minute after a long ride (many kms down the trail or a long hard pull up the mountain). If I have been just playing around boondocking and such, I usually give it about 10-15 seconds, and it rarely backfires.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
that backfire is brutal on reed petals too, best to try and let it clean out and cool down a bit before you shut it off after a hard pull or run. it is unburnt fuel in your pipe igniting when it reaches it's flashpoint from a hot pipe/engine.

Scotty

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
that backfire is brutal on reed petals too, best to try and let it clean out and cool down a bit before you shut it off after a hard pull or run. it is unburnt fuel in your pipe igniting when it reaches it's flashpoint from a hot pipe/engine.

That's exactly what a back fire is. Usually due to a rich running sled. unspent fuel is contained in the hot pipe. Some times the back fire happens when you pull the rope to start the thing. No big deal. If you want to avoid the POP rev it up a bit before killing the spark.

Ridin High

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
All the sleds that we run with do the same thing. Just let it idle doen to about 1950 before shutting it off and it wont happen. Its just extra fuel and what not in the chamber that builds pressure due to heat and has to release some how.

Maxwe

Reaction score
As the engine is shut off there is no more spark but it is still rotating sucking fuel in and putting it in to the hot exaust pipe where it blows up. The explosion is felt all the way back to the reeds and will damage them on occasion. When you let it idle it is allowing the pipe to cool down. Exasut temp are appx 400 at idle and well over a 1000 when working the engine. By idlling the 400 degree air is cooling the pipe down.

Top Bottom