08 m8 more hp

tmo1620

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I consistently see these topics brought up, wanting more top speed out of a mountain sled. Why would anyone want top speed out of a mountain sled? Last time I checked mountain sleds are meant to be geared low for climbing and to have a nice bottom end grunt to lift the front end up on top of the snow. If your so worried about how fast you can go why did you buy a m series? Wouldn't a crossfire have been the more practical choice? Seems stupid to me, maybe I'm the only one? The m chassis is not the most friendly handler at high speeds because its a MOUNTAIN SLED. Anyway thats my rant for the day, simple answer buy a crossfire if you want to go over a 100 mph

mynewuseddoo

Reaction score
I consistently see these topics brought up, wanting more top speed out of a mountain sled. Why would anyone want top speed out of a mountain sled? Last time I checked mountain sleds are meant to be geared low for climbing and to have a nice bottom end grunt to lift the front end up on top of the snow. If your so worried about how fast you can go why did you buy a m series? Wouldn't a crossfire have been the more practical choice? Seems stupid to me, maybe I'm the only one? The m chassis is not the most friendly handler at high speeds because its a MOUNTAIN SLED. Anyway thats my rant for the day, simple answer buy a crossfire if you want to go over a 100 mph

I must correct you as you clearly haven't ridden in the mountains at all.

Throttle is your friend, thus, top speed or (in a more descriptive typing format because you obviously can't read between the lines or extrapolate the single word that will now have you looking like a jack a$$) top "track" speed is your friend. If you notice the thread is about more HP which in turn will increase your top speed or top "track" speed which will allow you to climb higher and boondock better.

So in conclusion, top speed is your friend in the mountains. Weather you are actually moving at that speed or weather it is the track spinning underneath the sled at that speed, it is all the same.

Now pair more HP with a lower gear set and you can get even more top speed or top "track" speed in the really deep snow.

Apparently, according to you, I should have put my turbo into a trail sled instead of my mountain sled.

I think a stock m8 will go over 100 mph on a flat trail if I'm not mistaken.

tmo1620

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I must correct you as you clearly haven't ridden in the mountains at all.

Throttle is your friend, thus, top speed or (in a more descriptive typing format because you obviously can't read between the lines or extrapolate the single word that will now have you looking like a jack a$$) top "track" speed is your friend. If you notice the thread is about more HP which in turn will increase your top speed or top "track" speed which will allow you to climb higher and boondock better.

So in conclusion, top speed is your friend in the mountains. Weather you are actually moving at that speed or weather it is the track spinning underneath the sled at that speed, it is all the same.

Now pair more HP with a lower gear set and you can get even more top speed or top "track" speed in the really deep snow.

Apparently, according to you, I should have put my turbo into a trail sled instead of my mountain sled.

I think a stock m8 will go over 100 mph on a flat trail if I'm not mistaken.

No sh*t sherlock, but as you can see there is nothing about track speed in his question just top speed and as by definition top speed is how fast you can go. As you can see he lives in thorsby alberta which is a flat land prairie town in central alberta. One would think you put top speed in a question and don't specify what excactly you mean living in a place like thorsby would bring up assumptions that he wants to go faster, thus have a faster top speed. If a person wants answers to questions, specification is key, you shouldn't have to read between the lines to give an answer. And no my stock M8 will not go over 100 mph about 98 ish thats it thats all.

mynewuseddoo

Reaction score
No sh*t sherlock, but as you can see there is nothing about track speed in his question just top speed and as by definition top speed is how fast you can go.

If your track isn't going that fast then you're not going that fast. Even if your track is going that fast, you're not necessarily going that fast but the track speed must come first.....agreed?

As you can see he lives in thorsby alberta which is a flat land prairie town in central alberta.

I'm from Alberta originally and I know Throsby. I hear pick-up trucks are basically non existent in Alberta and especially in the smaller communities so hauling sleds is clearly out of the picture. Albertans are also known for never ever making trips out to the mountains. They prefer riding the flat prairies and they find nothing appealing about big mountain riding. I have accepted the fact that all my Alberta buddies that come out to my house in BC to ride a few times every year have been figments of my imagination. Thanks for making that clear.

One would think you put top speed in a question and don't specify what excactly you mean living in a place like thorsby would bring up assumptions that he wants to go faster, thus have a faster top speed.

Like I said before, track speed and friction before motion. Damn physics just keep bringing us back to the "track".

If a person wants answers to questions, specification is key, you shouldn't have to read between the lines to give an answer.

And you shouldn't rag on a guy for asking a simple question about how to get more out of his machine.

And no my stock M8 will not go over 100 mph about 98 ish thats it thats all.

And like you said before, what kind of fool would do 98 miles and hour on an unstable mountain machine. You said it first and then you admit doing the same thing. Come on, really! Or are you quoting a gearing/top speed spec?

tmo1620

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I myself never get up to that speed, guy I work with has the same sled as I do and thats top speed coming from him.

tmo1620

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
And so far as the simple question of how to get more out of his sled, there is a million different threads already started on how to get more from an m8. It just seems like that topic has been beat to death too many times already

mynewuseddoo

Reaction score
And so far as the simple question of how to get more out of his sled, there is a million different threads already started on how to get more from an m8. It just seems like that topic has been beat to death too many times already

So you are suggesting that any new thread started in regards to M8 performance and improvement is, for lack of a better description, pointless? Really? That reason along with trouble shooting and networking are the primary functions of this and other snowmobile forums.

Just please stop, pull the foot out of your mouth, the head out of your butt and save some face. With every reply you just keep digging the proverbial hole deeper and deeper. You clearly have no clue about mountain riding or any interest in helping anybody in this or other forums. If you want to contribute something productive, feel free. But if you want to rag on a guy who is looking for some performance ideas from some fellow riders and perhaps discuss those ideas at the same time with them then get your head on straight. Not only is it looking for ideas but chatting back and forth about a subject that might instill more confidence or change a persons mind about a mod they are thinking about doing. If this site was only an encyclopedia it would be pretty boring.

Hey, I'll even give you the benefit of the doubt and chalk your rant up to personal stress that you just happened vent in this thread, so be it. But you can explain away the BS buddy, sorry.

Back to topic.....

Turbo!
Or Cutler M8 performance package www.cpcracing.com
Or SLP performance package www.startinglineproducts.com

Rucky

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
After putting words in his mouth, I'm curious as to what the dude who started the thread actually wants out of his sled.
I have an SLP pipe set on my 2010 coupled with a BDX intake. Fuel is controlled by a PCV. So far so good, but can't say how the setup would work on an '09.
Budget is also important before one can point another in the right direction.

tanner

Reaction score
After putting words in his mouth, I'm curious as to what the dude who started the thread actually wants out of his sled.
I have an SLP pipe set on my 2010 coupled with a BDX intake. Fuel is controlled by a PCV. So far so good, but can't say how the setup would work on an '09.
Budget is also important before one can point another in the right direction.

I have the pipe set on my 09, D&D big air intake and V-force reeds with no fuel control, works really good. A bit of a bog sometimes at really low rpm. Removed the D&D intake to see if it will help. Found a break in a read pedel could be the problem too. Piston wash has been good above 3000ft dont ride any lower than that. Plugs look a little lean to me. Fuel controler might be a good idea. SLP says you dont need one at any elevation. Aslo I hear that remapping the stock ecu is a must for the 08. Good luck. I know where you could get a rk tek clutch for a good price there supposed to help too. We can't make it work but everyone else says they help

Rucky

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
LOL thanks for the info guys. Any other ideas out there other than buying a crossfire lol

First off - define what you meant by more top speed? More track speed while climbing? Or for flatlanding... As in you wanna hit 100 mph. If flatlanding, gearing change....

Reaction score
Well I would like more on the flat land, but also would like more track speed while climbing. What can be done without loosing one or the other? Is that possible? What kind of gearing change do you mean?

Top Bottom