08 M1000 clutching

aknbak

Reaction score
Hey guys, I just picked up a new 08 m1000 and cant wait for my first trip of the year. Any of you guys do any clutching to get these bad boys ready for the mountains? I talked to my dealer and they said that they are clutched great right out of the box, but i know that on my last sled (01 rmk 700 144") it took my a good year too get the clutching right. Since ive had a couple of kids i dont get up to Mcbride as much as i used too and dont want to waste a trip or two getting my machine set up. Is there anything you guys can think of doing to make sure my 1st trip isnt spent chasing my buds listening to " Arctic Crap" jokes? :nono: I've done a few mods right from the dealer-A jaws can and clutch vents- Im not looking to keep up with all the mods, just dont want spend a trip not happy with my new toy.

Aknbak
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
2008 M1000- Jaws can, clutch vents 2"riser
2008 Kawasaki Brute force 750- ITP rims, 27 " mudbugs

ssjrmk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I also want to know some clutching setups for my 08 M1000. All i have figured out is that some guys are putting in a shift assist bearing on the secondary to help with upshift and backshift. I have yet to do this, so i am not sure how well it works.

Catman10

Drinking the Doolaid
Reaction score
You definately want to put rock rollers in the secondary and a shift assist while you are at it. If you have the extra cash I would also gear the sled to m8 gears and go through your diamond drive. I have heard that aftermarket gears are welded onto the shaft better than the arctic cat ones so do your research there. Also venting is wise as these do build up a lot of heat, it made a huge difference on my sled last year. Before all of this start out with the clutch alignment cuz if it isnt right you will still go through belts. Good luck!

ssjrmk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks Catman 10. What are rock rollers? and how much difference did the gearing make? - Better climbing?, or just better all around?

Catman10

Drinking the Doolaid
Reaction score
Rock rollers are a hard roller made by aftermaket companies, I think one is Rox rollers and there is a company in B.C that makes them as well but I have forgotten the name even though I bought them. The gearing helped me out huge as I put a 174 track on and I got the same track speed as my 162 and I ran the same belt all year (600 kms) whereas the year before I went through 3 belts doing the same kms. I felt the money was well spent on the mods because everything became more efficient and it cooled everything down and I thought the backshifting was a little better. My experiment this year is going to be a supertorquer secondary clutch, I will post results later on that as it hasnt shown up yet. Hope this helps!

RK Tek

Reaction score
Website
www.2strokeheads.com
Hey guys, I just picked up a new 08 m1000 and cant wait for my first trip of the year. Any of you guys do any clutching to get these bad boys ready for the mountains? I talked to my dealer and they said that they are clutched great right out of the box, but i know that on my last sled (01 rmk 700 144") it took my a good year too get the clutching right. Since ive had a couple of kids i dont get up to Mcbride as much as i used too and dont want to waste a trip or two getting my machine set up. Is there anything you guys can think of doing to make sure my 1st trip isnt spent chasing my buds listening to " Arctic Crap" jokes? :nono: I've done a few mods right from the dealer-A jaws can and clutch vents- Im not looking to keep up with all the mods, just dont want spend a trip not happy with my new toy.

Aknbak
The stock clutching is very poor IMHO.. The spring is much too stiff and limits upshift. Most do not realize how poor the stock clutching is until you ride one that is set-up correctly.. The main problem is that the "function" of the secondary has limits. It is a design flaw.

We have a proven set-up that is gauranteed to work and provide much better top end speed and much better back-shift..

Please contact me if you have any questions or you can check it out on my website..

Kelsey

aknbak

Reaction score
Thanks for the info! About how much was the rock rollers? Is it something i can get at my local dealer?

Aknbak
-------------------------------------------
2008 M1000 153", Jaws can, Clutch vents, 2"riser
2008 Kawasaki brute Force 750,ITP rims,27"mudbugs
2006 50cc mini hummer

mphfreak

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Threw some M8 gears in 08 m1000 with powerclaw track and heavy hitter weights. about 82 grams. be trying it out this weekend will keep everyone posted.

RK Tek

Reaction score
Website
www.2strokeheads.com
Stock clutcing does not allow for very high shift ratios.. It will run and pull its rpms but it will not accelerate up the hills.. just tractor around.. Not much fun to tractor around..

The fact is that the secondary on the M sleds does not function correctly.

Aknbak

darre

Reaction score
you can get rock rollers from BD extreme (black diamond x) I,ll be putting rkt's clutch kit to put on my m8. I have the shift assist and it works fine but the cat compression secondary's back shift has never impressed me even with the massive orange spring(which in turn dosn't permit good upshift) So anyway heres hoping the rkt kit works for me. Oh and you can adjust it (the rkt) on the hill, with the stock clutch your stuck with what you got and that isn't always good!

mphfreak

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Threw some M8 gears in 08 m1000 with powerclaw track and heavy hitter weights. about 82 grams. be trying it out this weekend will keep everyone posted.

Just got back from Mcbride and learnt a few things. The gearing seemed to make this 1000 more responsive. The 2009 power claw track is a big improvement from last year. This m1000 still should have alot more. Like RK tek said, the secondary IS holding this beast back, alot. The up and back shift is terrible. I dont have a shift assist in mine but i think that is not going to solve the problem entirely. Im going to try the torsional spring kit with a 40 / 34 helix and see what that does.

mphfreak

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Jay,
Keep the tarp and put a Skidoo under it, Clutching Problem GONE!!!

George

U R alot of Help!. lol. U r like the little devil on my shoulder saying ( I told u So!) Dont you have something u should be doing, like putting pistons and cranks in yer doo or somethin

Last edited:

aknbak

Reaction score
Thanks for the info Mphfreak. I think im going to go with the RTK secondary,talked to my dealer and he recommened it. It looks very easy to install. Whats the deal with a shift assist? Are they easy for us novice wrenchers to put in? Could you give me a approx on the price on one as well? I'll be heading to mcbride on the 20th and cant wait!!!:)

Aknbak
-------------------------------------------------
2008 M1000-Jaws can, Clutch vents,2" riser and SOON a RTK secondary!
2008 Kawasaki Brute Force 750-ITP rims and 27" mudbugs
2006 Gio mini hummer

mphfreak

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info Mphfreak. I think im going to go with the RTK secondary,talked to my dealer and he recommened it. It looks very easy to install. Whats the deal with a shift assist? Are they easy for us novice wrenchers to put in? Could you give me a approx on the price on one as well? I'll be heading to mcbride on the 20th and cant wait!!!:)

Aknbak
-------------------------------------------------
2008 M1000-Jaws can, Clutch vents,2" riser and SOON a RTK secondary!
2008 Kawasaki Brute Force 750-ITP rims and 27" mudbugs
2006 Gio mini hummer

The shift assist ($20.00) sits where your teflon looking washer is. the spring rides on it. You still have to pull the helix out to install it. If there is 2 of you u can do it without a spring compressor. I just installed a d&d kit tonite on mine. Same as the RtK kit. torsional spring conversion. Took about an hour. You deffinetly need to have a couple of spare helix bolts and a spare torx driver because i busted 1 bolt and 1 torx bit.

I am not all that impressed with this sled right now, my 09 M8 spools up alot better. Feels like this 1000 doesnt want to shift out. hittin the rpm`s just dieseling along. I will be in Mcbride from the 20th till the 28th and i will try playing with this set up more. My wife is laughing at me because she is side by side with me on the hill. I cant let her have that satisfaction. lol.

Is there anyone else on this site that can add some helpful info on making these m1000`s spool up. 46 mph climbing track speed last weekend just doesnt cut it.

RK Tek

Reaction score
Website
www.2strokeheads.com
just installed a d&d kit tonite on mine. Same as the RtK kit. torsional spring conversion.

With all due respect..

These kits are not even similiar... I FIX the helix issue (we find problems with the helix design), the kit you are referencing, you do not FIX the helix problem. You only switch to a torsion spring.. Just because ANY kit uses a torsion spring does not make it the same..

Again... just correcting some mis-information.. nothing personal.

Kelsey

mphfreak

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
With all due respect..

These kits are not even similiar... I FIX the helix issue (we find problems with the helix design), the kit you are referencing, you do not FIX the helix problem. You only switch to a torsion spring.. Just because ANY kit uses a torsion spring does not make it the same..

Again... just correcting some mis-information.. nothing personal.

Kelsey

So with your kit will it solve my problem? Is the helix the issue with the diamond drive secondary? Sorry if i offended you by comparing the 2 kits. They look very similar from your website and the kit i have.
jay

RK Tek

Reaction score
Website
www.2strokeheads.com
So with your kit will it solve my problem? Is the helix the issue with the diamond drive secondary? Sorry if i offended you by comparing the 2 kits. They look very similar from your website and the kit i have.
jay

No problem on the offense... It is just that things are not always as they apper.. I mean all pizza's look alike but they certaily taste different..

In any case.. Yes, the kits are quite different due to the helix..
Will it fix your problem.. It should, it fixes all our issues..

Kelsey

scrapmaster

Reaction score
No problem on the offense... It is just that things are not always as they apper.. I mean all pizza's look alike but they certaily taste different..

In any case.. Yes, the kits are quite different due to the helix..
Will it fix your problem.. It should, it fixes all our issues..

Kelsey
i just put the kit on my m8 and the difference was night and day, actually accelerates up the hill instead of like u said dieseling along

aknbak

Reaction score
This will make for a good experiment. Both myself and my brother have m1000's. Im going to put the RTK kit on while his will remain bone stock. Will be interesting to see how the 2 compare side by side on the 20th!

Aknbak
---------------------------------------------
2008 M1000- jaws can. clutch vents, 2" riser
2008 Kawasaki brute Force 750-ITP rims, 27" mudbugs
2006 gio mini hummer

Top Bottom