07 XRS Resurrection, Need Short Block + 860

Maverick800XRS

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

So the summer is rolling around and time for me to bring the XRS back to life. Currently what i have is a 07 800R with a cracked case but everything else seems to be ok, i also have no Fawking idea what bolts are from where or what or who or why cause Bow Cycle South decided to rip it apart then just throw everything into a tupperware container... (they stripped it down to see if i could get warranty on the motor, unfortunately it just ended up costing me a bunch of money for someone to make a mess of everything!) So what i have is NOTHING! not sure if i can get any $ for the jugs or the crank but would be nice, maybe someone needs motor fasteners :p

I need to find a place that's selling 800R short blocks for a decent price, also will be requiring an RK-TEK 860 BB kit, there is on place in Edson called (Riders) that has both and would even install the kit on the shortblock for me (for a cost of course). All the work needed to put the motor in the sled and everything else i will do, just need the parts!!! So heres a break down of what i know so far.

800R Short Block for 07 motor mounts - $1,769.00
Core Charge (since my case is done) - $700.00
RK-TEK 860 BB - $3,300.00
860 Install (3.5hrs) - $350.00
Total - $6,119.00

Also the guy that i was talking to (Justin) frequently visits Red Deer so he could meet me there with it and i could drive up from Calgary to pick it up.

I also talked with Kelsey from RK-TEK about him buying a new motor down there and installing the 860 at his shop, short block was about the same but his kit was about 50% cheaper, then i would need to worry about shipping and all that junk...

Really im just trying to find the best way to get a motor back in my sled but would really like an 860. Im not set on a RK 860 kit but have heard great things, also Kelsey is a great dood and very helpful. I might give him a call back and see if we can work something out if i get him to buy a motor and do it for me.

Would be nice to have a pump gas kit as well, not even sure if the RK-Tek kit is pump gas?

Any thoughts or ideas anything at all would be greatly appreciated !!! still lots of time this summer for the revival but want to get a head start on parts!

Thanks in advance !

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

So the summer is rolling around and time for me to bring the XRS back to life. Currently what i have is a 07 800R with a cracked case but everything else seems to be ok, i also have no Fawking idea what bolts are from where or what or who or why cause Bow Cycle South decided to rip it apart then just throw everything into a tupperware container... (they stripped it down to see if i could get warranty on the motor, unfortunately it just ended up costing me a bunch of money for someone to make a mess of everything!) So what i have is NOTHING! not sure if i can get any $ for the jugs or the crank but would be nice, maybe someone needs motor fasteners :p

I need to find a place that's selling 800R short blocks for a decent price, also will be requiring an RK-TEK 860 BB kit, there is on place in Edson called (Riders) that has both and would even install the kit on the shortblock for me (for a cost of course). All the work needed to put the motor in the sled and everything else i will do, just need the parts!!! So heres a break down of what i know so far.

Total - $6,119.00

Also the guy that i was talking to (Justin) frequently visits Red Deer so he could meet me there with it and i could drive up from Calgary to pick it up.

I also talked with Kelsey from RK-TEK about him buying a new motor down there and installing the 860 at his shop, short block was about the same but his kit was about 50% cheaper, then i would need to worry about shipping and all that junk...

Really im just trying to find the best way to get a motor back in my sled but would really like an 860. Im not set on a RK 860 kit but have heard great things, also Kelsey is a great dood and very helpful. I might give him a call back and see if we can work something out if i get him to buy a motor and do it for me.

Would be nice to have a pump gas kit as well, not even sure if the RK-Tek kit is pump gas?

Any thoughts or ideas anything at all would be greatly appreciated !!! still lots of time this summer for the revival but want to get a head start on parts!

Thanks in advance !

There are lots of places closer that can install an 860 kit and that way if something goes wrong you are not trying to fight with some dude in Edson to get him to make your sled run right.

You might try Racer's Edge locally, or talk to Linderman at Arctic Edge before Edson.

Maverick800XRS

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Talked with Darryl @ Racers, they really don't do motors. Only reason i was looking at Riders in Edson was that Kelsy from RK-TEK referred me to them... fur great point for sure...

Ill check out these other guys

THX MM

P_ZIZZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Linderman does great work and stands behind his stuff! He would be at the top of the list to do motor work if it were me. But im not sure about the rest of the parts sorry.

Maverick800XRS

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That seems like a lot of $$ to spend on that sled, you must love it.

I sure do, but it's cause all the other junk on it :p if it were a stock sled id part it out and thad be that.

P1000462.jpg

Linderman does great work and stands behind his stuff! He would be at the top of the list to do motor work if it were me. But im not sure about the rest of the parts sorry.

X2 for Linderman ! thx !

pistonbroke800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Total - $6,119.00

Any thoughts or ideas anything at all would be greatly appreciated !!! still lots of time this summer for the revival

You can get pump gas and race gas 860's from RKT. Depends on the compression you are going to run and what elevation you ride at. I have a 13:1 RKT head on top of a SHR 860 and run 91 octane 5000' and up. Havent had deto problems.

maierch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You can get pump gas and race gas 860's from RKT. Depends on the compression you are going to run and what elevation you ride at. I have a 13:1 RKT head on top of a SHR 860 and run 91 octane 5000' and up. Havent had deto problems.

You've never ridden your 860 above 5000' with fully functioning rave valves! :p

I threw a couple of Det codes with my 13:1- 860 running straight 91 octane. I've since switched to adding 15% avgas and haven't had a problem.

maierch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
why not just buy a reman bottom end. and purchase a set of toasted cylinders. send the whole works to kelsey to assemble.

Got any idea where you could get your hands on a set of toasted cylinders? I'm looking for a set.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Where did you get your short block price? I was told it was ~$2400 + $700 core. :confused::confused::confused:

A new BRP shortblock is $1969 plus $700 core I believe. You will still get a partial core if the crankshaft or cylinders are still salvagable. If your dealer is telling you $2400 plus core then you need a new dealer.....just saying. :):beer:

Maverick800XRS

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
why not just buy a reman bottom end. and purchase a set of toasted cylinders. send the whole works to kelsey to assemble.

Didn't know you could just get the bottom end, would need to be from a respectable place, kind of like the sounds of new but whats the point if ur tearing the jugs and pistons off anyways for the BB kit. My cylinders are still good and would work for an exchange, no damage to them.

Where did you get your short block price? I was told it was ~$2400 + $700 core. :confused::confused::confused:

Riders in Edson, not sure if it's still that but that's what i have written down from when i called them last year.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
hate to tell you but a shortblock is remanufactured. i think doo actually has reman bottom ends but i cant remember its been a while. if not then seadooclinic.com will have one

so might as well get a reman bottom end then send your jugs to kelsey.
but thats just my opinion, might only save you 800$ but also wont have to put out for a core

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
hate to tell you but a shortblock is remanufactured. i think doo actually has reman bottom ends but i cant remember its been a while. if not then seadooclinic.com will have one

so might as well get a reman bottom end then send your jugs to kelsey.
but thats just my opinion, might only save you 800$ but also wont have to put out for a core

Doo had a remanned bottom end in 07' when they were having all the issues with the 800R's. I was told by my dealer last week that that part number is no longer available anymore. It's seperate new or remanned parts or a reman shortblock. :):beer:

RK Tek

Reaction score
Website
www.2strokeheads.com
The 07 Bottom end had crank issues and case machining issues as did the 08(crank)

The reman cranks and cases from BRP are 99% of the time BRAND NEW units.. since 09 the crank and cases have been very good.. Getting a new crank and case is the best choice IMO.. you need to tell your dealer that the engine is a 2007 and they will send you the proper short block, if not you will not be able to install your electronics.

The Big Bore kit absolutely rips on the 2007 (other years as well) but the 2007 is the best year in terms of making the best power.. The kit WILL produce 180+HP on91 octane with the stock pipe and our custom Y pipe.

Riderz is a great outfit and can hook you up or I can getyou the bottom end here, install the kit and ship it back to you.

If you choose to fix what you have, no problem sending in a box of bolts.. I can do these in my sleep.. No worries....

In any case, best of luck to ya whatever you decide...
Feel free to call me if you need any help

Kelsey

maierch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A new BRP shortblock is $1969 plus $700 core I believe. You will still get a partial core if the crankshaft or cylinders are still salvagable. If your dealer is telling you $2400 plus core then you need a new dealer.....just saying. :):beer:

Got it figured now. My $2400 includes the core charge. Thought I was gonna have to go postal there for a minute.

maierch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Got it figured now. My $2400 includes the core charge. Thought I was gonna have to go postal there for a minute.

I thought that was the case until I went to pay my bill for my shortblock last night and it was the $2400 + the $700 core. I've since check the prices at Bow Cycle (~$3000 + $700 Core) and at Riderz (~$2400 + $700 Core).

Has anyone actually paid less than $2000 for a shortblock this season?

Top Bottom