07 dodge 5.9 or 6.7

sledobsessed

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey guys looking at getting into a dodge. I'd like an 07 but not sure what to go with. The 5.9 or the 6.7. I would be deleting all emissions crap and putting a programer on it. But what would be better?

toomuchsledformyowngood

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
6.7, she says size doesnt matter BUT it does. especiallt if your going to do some performance customizations. welcome to the dodge world where the grass is always greener

krazy c

Reaction score
I miss my old 5.9 and how it held up to all the extra hp with the programer and everything! But my stock 6.7 is also very nice!
Tough decision to make there. lol

MiledOut

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
6.7 if you plan on deletes you get a slightly better tranny and a few addded extras. also remember the 5.9 and 6.7 are near identical motors.

BIG DAWG

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
have had an 02,05 ,08 and now a 12 and out of each of them the 05 with the 5.9 was my favorite had always been 6sp manual before the 12 so trannys were not an issue just ensure you are running a pyro when yuo start chippin

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
I've had both......... Liked my 5.9l as it was great on gas and good power(lots of mods done), but my 2011 6.7l is awesome. Basically the same engine, with longer stroke and slightly bigger bore. Do the deletes on the 6.7l and you would be abolutely impressed. We've done quite a few now and nothing but rave reviews about the h&s tuner, egr delete, and dpf delete. Average mileage increase has been from 19l/100kms to better than 13l/100kms on the 6.7l........ Transmission is better on the 6.7l engine too.

fat tire

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey guys looking at getting into a dodge. I'd like an 07 but not sure what to go with. The 5.9 or the 6.7. I would be deleting all emissions crap and putting a programer on it. But what would be better?

Got an 2005 with the 5.9l..".completely stock, only 132k on it, was thinking of upgrading o a 2012...... Love the 5.9, but the ride in the new ones are much more long drive friendly. Would like not to trade it as the dealers always jack the price of the new unit and never give ya the dollars for your trade.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
both have advantages and disadvantages .... 07 5.9 are awsome but the trans sucks balls .... 07 6.7 are not as good of an motor but the trans is better ....

NM

Boost It - Fuel your Boost
Reaction score
both have advantages and disadvantages .... 07 5.9 are awsome but the trans sucks balls .... 07 6.7 are not as good of an motor but the trans is better ....
Sorry, but i would have to disagree that the 5.9 is better. If you were to leave both stock, then the 5.9 has a mileage advantage, but that is where it stops. The 6.7 has been more reliable than the 5.9 and like others have said they come with an engine exhaust brake and a far better transmission.
When the emissions crap is deleted, the 6.7 will actually get as good or better mileage.
We have seen many injector and dusting issues with the 5.9's and the only issue we have seen with the 6.7's is some of the 07's had turbo's that needed upgrades and the odd one would spit the head gasket when going north of 40 lbs boost. Otherwise the 6.7's have been great.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was going stock to stock. And 07 to 07 cause they had both.

Yes the 6.7 has a brake and 6 speed tiptronic trans.

But motor to motor the 5.9 is better over any run

sent from my htc

dezmitchell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i thought i read somewhere on here that the 6.7's were having some problems with rods bending or something of that type when they were one started throwing more boost @ them. Dont think i would of just dreamed that up will look and see if i can find the post.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya it was Jared that said it.
But cranked up 6.7 ... Might end up being stockers with more km on them

sent from my htc

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My biggest beef is dodges p.o.s front end.

I'm so sick and Tyred of axle u joints, ball joints, wheel bearings ( which the newer trucks have a bit less problems)
Even ford has a greaseable axle u joint even tho it has a part time hub.
A factory greaseable ujoint would help a dodge out till it needs Balljoints

Even a o ring like a ford to seal the bearing from sticking into the spindle.

I would never by a dodge cause of this.

Just my 2 cents

sent from my htc

Last edited:

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My biggest beef is dodges p.o.s front end.

I'm so sick and Tyred of axle u joints, ball joints, wheel bearings ( which the newer trucks have a bit less problems)
Even ford has a greaseable axle u joint even tho it has a part time hub.
A factory greaseable ujoint would help a dodge out till it needs Balljoints

Even a o ring like a ford to seal the bearing from sticking into the spindle.

I would never by a dodge cause of this.

Just my 2 cents

sent from my htc

Hey all those broken Dodges pay you good money fixing them,,,,

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes it does. But I'm sick and tired of beating the chit outa them.

It would be nice if 8 out of 10 ball joint jobs weren't dodges

sent from my htc

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes it does. But I'm sick and tired of beating the chit outa them.

It would be nice if 8 out of 10 ball joint jobs weren't dodges

sent from my htc

Had mine replaced on warranty last November. By dealer so am sure no zerks.

tstams

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.crashheadz.com
The only problem with a 2007 6.7 is it was the first year they used that motor the new ones have a lot more improvments then the 2007 6.7, if you want a 2007 my opinion is a 5.9 it works awsome and no bugs and if you do damage alot cheaper to fix then the 6.7, id say if you want a 6.7 id look for something 2009 and up, just my opinion...

mach123

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had never changed a front end part on my 5.9 ever and just sold truck 3 month ago and still on the road and it was a 99 dodge, had 6.7 in 07 and 1 tranny went but love the exhaust brake. Fords are pos x 10 no hard feelings out there and where is best place to buy mini max in edmonton area for a 2012 6.7 dodge. Thanks

Last edited:
Top Bottom