06 M7 fuel

Slamnek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was told by another M7 owner that his sled runs way better on regular fuel. My thoughts are to run premium but has anyone else noticed this?

Shredder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I ran 9 gallons of 87/1 gallon of VP C12 in my RT this winter. I never ride under 4000'; but I'd think 87 would be fine with any sled running stock compression in the mountains.

rusty

GBCA Member
Reaction score
I think that the cats are recommended to run 87 octane. And with the current ecu controls it would be more than enough

NewCatRider

Reaction score
tried running premium in my m8, ran to hot apparently not designed to run on it....stick with the regular gas

mtndoctor

Reaction score
too hot? its usually the other way around, the cats have low comp. so you can run 87 octane which burns hotter and will make more power, then running 91 in a low comp motor, only run 91 if your 12.5-1 and higher comp.

Scotty

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have over 4000 miles on my F6 efi and have experimented over the last few years with 87 and 91 (premium). 87 (reg) seems to be the better performing fuel at any elevation and any temp. from my experience. I have convinced the guys I regularly ride with to run 87 reg. and they have also experienced the same results. Cat's EFI sleds are programmed to run on 87.

WRK

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I beleive the m7 has a plug you can plug in or out based on the fule you run, regular for one setting and unplugged for premium fuel. I am not positive but I think it advances the timing when you run premium mode.

Slamnek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have talked with some after market guys and they say the M's are supposed to be run on regular.

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Cats in stock form are supposed to run 87. This is always an interesting topic. Many aftermarkets tell you to run 91 or higher if adding their parts. Funny thing is that they are almost all from out East and pretty near sea level. Edmonton is just over 2000 feet and if you hit some areas of Swan Hills you can be over 4000 feet. So I ask this....with a mod pipe and/or very slight squish band changes, can you still run 87 comfortably here? There seems to be those that think you can and those that think you can't. Any opinions?

Not trying to hijack the post, but this does open up some good dialogue.

glengine

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have over 4000 miles on my F6 efi and have experimented over the last few years with 87 and 91 (premium). 87 (reg) seems to be the better performing fuel at any elevation and any temp. from my experience. I have convinced the guys I regularly ride with to run 87 reg. and they have also experienced the same results. Cat's EFI sleds are programmed to run on 87.

The other thing that alot ofr people dont seem to think about is yes cats run lower compression.. But the thing that most people never think about is How many people run 91 or better octane fuel in there stuff during the summer?? So how long has that fuel been sitting in those tanks at the gas station?? if you find a gas station that you know goes thru a decent amount of prem then it's alright but you must be careful with that.. I know that when we put a aftermarket head on a M-series sled tahts going to be run in the mountains we always put a head on that is atleats 13-1 comp.. Cat does what they do for emission reasons.. If you look ta stoc kto stock cat makes the least amout of hp of any 800 on the market but probably respondes the best to aftermarket upgrades....

slomo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I beleive the m7 has a plug you can plug in or out based on the fule you run, regular for one setting and unplugged for premium fuel. I am not positive but I think it advances the timing when you run premium mode.
that plug is for fuel with ethenol

Scotty

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
that plug is for fuel with ethenol

It's a white plastic clip/plug near the ecu that you unplug when running ethenol fuel. In 2003 the firecats (700's) had a switch on the fuel tank area to address the same issue. I think all Cats (efi) since have the plug near the ecu??

Cartel

Reaction score
I have had way way better results riding with regular, Premium is not designed for these stock engines from cat, so if you running that way it makes no sense to use premium when it's set up better for reg. now if you are using aftermarket parts that changes things, and depending on the parts changes what fuel is best.

I run REG and I wont run anything else!!

rapptorracing

Reaction score
I almost always use premium because I assume if regular is good premium is better. I did run an oxygenated fuel once and it reved up so well I was afraid of damaging the engine so unpluged the conector at ECU and that seemed to detune it back to normal.

I would like to hear more opinions and experiences on this. I have a 05 m7

crashedcat

Reaction score
I almost always use premium because I assume if regular is good premium is better. I did run an oxygenated fuel once and it reved up so well I was afraid of damaging the engine so unpluged the conector at ECU and that seemed to detune it back to normal.

I would like to hear more opinions and experiences on this. I have a 05 m7

I had that same machine and loved it!! Regular fuel is the way to go. I noticed it helped clean it up a bit as they tend to run very fat. I put a highflo intake and an aftermarket Y pipe as well which crisped it up very nicely especially at altitude. Sled was a pile of fun and ran unbelievable on regular.

poppajon

Reaction score
I also have a D&D intake, y-pipe and can on my M7, so i should be good to run regular....correct?

RUDY

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
[QUOTE I would like to hear more opinions and experiences on this. I have a 05 m7[/QUOTE]

Same here,i just picked up an 06 m7and would love more info on this the sled is pretty much stock has a D&D can.
I was reading that they say when adding aftermarket parts to use premium should a guy use premium if he only has a can?

Fallen

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
87 octane is fine with stock compression. i run 91 because i have a high compression head.

Top Bottom