your first ride in the mountains

frock

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
In the Yukon Territory at Rancheria River in about 1969 and we rode the old Olympique and grandpa's old twin track (for breakin trail).

cokecrazed007

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Mine was in 1992 in clemina. I was on a indy 500 sks with plastic paddels. I miss the roost from the paddels, but I don't miss the backend passing you in a corner on the trail. Great times!

old mountain man

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
First ride was in 2000 with a new 800 RMK 144". I had not had a sled since 1972. Went to Allen Creek with some friends.
Tried to climb the hill climb and spun out right at the top and the brake failed. A friend rode it down for me and was doing
warp speed at the bottom. I still call it no brake hill. Have been hooked ever since.

NosRX1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
2003 for me to Allen creek it only took one trip and I was hooked ever since...nothing better then mountain riding! good snow and always a place to challenger yourself!

Dutchman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I guess I'm dating myself, but my first mountain trip was way back in the early 80's into the kakwa area.
Rode my 1980 TXC 340. Yep, 3/4" short track, leaf spring suspension, carry the jerry can on my lap.
How times have changed.

capt. crunch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Winter of 96 on a 96 Powder Special in the Whistler area. People ride in places other than the mountains?????

brian h

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
first trip was in early 1988,and was riding a 1986 formula plus,loved the sled back then but it was a heavy beast

overkill131313

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
did alot of sledding on the beach for a year or two......snuck up the logging road behind the house when I was a kid! got my new 81 Citation and it was non stop sledding 24/7 lol.......the first mountain I ever went up for the day was Queest in Sicamous in 83........groomed buy the old Alpine Twin tracks.....what a job just to get to the cabin! the life of short tracks! I got my SS25 in 86 and I installed a $h!t load of paddles on that short track and put on ski skins.......it was a great mountain sled in its day.......I always had to break trail! man have times changed!

then I hear stories of dad up in Revy in the early 70's......how did they get up those hills in the deep snow! today sledding in not a challenge!

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
In the fall of 96. There were 3 of us, we all had brand new factory mountain sleds sitting at home(Summit & XLT). But we decided to go to the Inn on the border in Crowsnest Pass, with our fan cooled machines. I had my 96 formula 500, and the other 2 were on 440 polaris's, all 3 had the 121, with the .9" track. The snow was stupid deep for those sleds, but it came down to rider skill and who had the biggest ballz. We did wish we had our other sleds, but it was a blast to see who could out ride the other. And having nothing to do with HP!
I would honestly love to do that again some day, cause you all know thats where the real bench racing begins!

Grain Farmer

Reaction score
Bluebird day, mid March, 600 Mountain Max, Renshaw, with a group of 6, before trail was groomed (3-4 foot whoops), about a foot of fresh over a hard base (perfect for a rookie), made it to spirit lake, my eye lids never blinked all day (did not want to miss anything), HOOKED, snow checked a 2001 MM, now ride I ride a Doo, Renshaw still my favorite mountain.GS

Nytroman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My first trip was in 1985 to Allen creek, was riding a 81 MirageII, rest of the family had blizzard5500, SRX 440's, SRV 540, John Deere 340, and 440's, some Everest 440's. jetting was not figured out or a big concern, and never knew clutching was an option. We spent 3 days packing down a trail to get to cabin, and was yrs before making it back as far as hill climb. Way more fun, everything was a challenge

aircanam

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
2 years ago at the young age of 35 bought a 03 Cat 800 144. Went to Chappel the next day with 2 1/2 ft of fresh and poor viability, had to learn to sidehill real quick and spent most of the day digging.....Clemina the next day, bluebird day only about 6 inches of fresh, made riding with the log and rail hangover a lot easier. Hooked ever since, just wish my pay check supported my addiction......

prairie-rider800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My first trip was last year to Mcbride! The first day we went up Belle and I blew the chain right through the chaincase on my 02 summit. We rented an 09 cat and spent the rest of the weekend in Renshaw. It was so much fun and I can't wait to go back this year!!!

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Winter of 2000, 36 Km on the new 600 summit. Probably 80 km total riding experience. Sliding backwards down the switchbacks at Allen...Really didn't have a good weekend my first time out but you have to persevere.(things went much better in the hills once I got my 06 800 Summit):d

btcowboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
As as I said in my post about my first sled. Me and a couple friends went to Revy April 2008. The first day it snowed and was socked in so we played around in the trees by the cabin, lots of stucks, and I was soaked when we got down. Second day was bluebird, and an awesome day. Sad to admit my first attempt up Alberta hill, I never made it and rolled down the hill. Took me 3 attempts to finally get up Alberta hill on my Renegade (136). So when we got to Sugar bowl, I looked down and said no way. My friends dropped in and played around, while I sat on top to think, and contemplating that my only trip to the mountains could end up being my last. Took me about a half an hour to finally get the balls to drop in, and boy was I glad I did. We made it back to turbo that day and had a great time. Sadly had to go home the next day. Now I have sold the Renegade and am now running a Summit (154). It has been my baby for 2 years now, I love riding the mountains and would not give it up. That half hour moment of truth was probably the moment that got me hooked. I still have a lot to learn, I still have to fight through the fear at times, but that dont matter I love it too much.

Last edited:

underdog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My first ride in the mountains, I cant really remember since I would double with my Dad everytime he went out. The first time I actually drove a sled in the mountains, I think I was 10 or so. Can't remember where we went, but I know we rode a pipeline to the cabin. Dad was on his 92 RXL 650 with the plastic 2" track, Mom had my 2 sisters on the 93 indy trail with the 2up seat, and I ride the 1978 Yamaha Enticer 300 Special Twin. No suspension what so ever. I remember going up some of the hills in the pipeline, and Dad would stay right behind me with his sled just in case I powered out, he could push me the rest of the way up the hill. Which was never needed, as the old girl went right up all the hills. We got to the cabin, and some of the old timers were looking at the 300 and commenting on how good of shape it was in, and how long it must have taken to get to the cabin. They were shocked to find out that a 10 year old boy rode it there. Haha. I will never forget the looks on their faces.

trench

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
First trip for me was to Macbride in 2000 on my new to me 1993 Arctic Cat EXT 136". Buddy I bought the sled from must have had it jetted for 300' below sea level! I had no clue what I was doing the sled was bogging out every where and I got very frustrated with the whole experience. One of the guys with us had a new 2000 RMK 800 151" that he let me try, wow what a rush. I got the jetting on the EXT figured out with the help of Paul from Ride and Hide in Macbride and it worked very well till I upgraded to an RMK 151" Been hooked on mountain sledding ever since, and will keep doing it till I'm no longer able to!!!

yammyboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Winter of 96 on a 96 Powder Special in the Whistler area. People ride in places other than the mountains?????
I know that people ride in other places then the mountains I ride more by my house than in the mountains

Top Bottom