XM clutching

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If its on a hard packed road there is not enough load on the system. Same reason a mountain clutch setup won't hit rpm on a track stand. Needs the load of fresh snow on a slope.

And this results in rpm's peaking and then dropping off?
I wonder why it didn't do it on the somewhat hardpacked snow going across the lake a couple days earlier...........

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
And this results in rpm's peaking and then dropping off?
I wonder why it didn't do it on the somewhat hard packed snow going across the lake a couple days earlier...........

i didnt quite understand your entire post so you could be right. i have seen it do this on sleds in the past on a hard packed road but not on a lake with marginal snow. my suggestion is to get it into some deep snow and see what it does. there very well could be something else wrong but its not unusual for clutching designed for other applications to not perform normally in other conditions.

duck

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
if you ride in the steep and deep, the summit xm clutch is ok but could be improved. The issue is the rpms start to drop down 300-400 rpm while climbing. you can back off the throttle and hit it again and the rpm will go to 7900-8000 rpm but than slowly start dropping. Install a dj clutch kit and this problem will go away.
Alot of people can't be bothered to change because they don't understand or the sled is performing good enough for their liking. Each to there own.

If RPM is decreasing as you climb, your secondary spring needs to be slightly stiffer..... or primary, slightly weaker.....the only thing that may throw this for a loop is that as your engine heats up during the climb, the computer throws more fuel at it....

Last edited:

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If RPM is decreasing as you climb, your secondary spring needs to be slightly stiffer..... or primary, slightly weaker.....the only thing that may throw this for a loop is that as your engine heats up during the climb, the computer throws more fuel at it....
A weaker primary spring will drop RPM...

Sask Sledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a job for Dynamo Joe! I had similar issues and Joes calibration is quite consistent. Track hook up is essential too no hook up will equal lower rpms. I know it sounds backward but its seems to be true.
I put a 1.75 track on my 146 and it would suck rpms in the deep. Put on the 2.5 again and problem was solved.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ripping through the ditches in the heavy wet snow yesterday and when I got on the road and opened it up a few times I would hit 7700 and then it would fall to 7400. Elevation was 2900', clickers on 1. Back off the throttle and stab it again, same thing.
A couple days previous temps were about 10-15 degrees cooler and same elevation, same setting on clickers with lighter snow ripping across fields and the lake and was hitting 8000 and holding rpm no problem. Never had an issue with this in the mountains either.
Not sure if the heavy wet snow got things wet inside or not it was dark so never looked inside the engine area. I know the heavy snow will load it up more so peak rpm will be less but why would it hit whatever it's peak was and then start to fall off? And I'm talking flatland on a hard snow-packed road not climbing. I do have the screen kit on as well to prevent snow ingestion.

I believe you answered your question and didn't know it.
Your on clicker 1 in light snow and cooler temps meaning the engine will pull the load on clicker 1.
Now the conditions changed to warmer temps, sticker heavier snow meaning there is more load on the engine and the engine will not pull load in the same clicker.

Everyone that runs a doo tra has experienced this in the mtns once or twice.
Even in Allen last weekend my sled was pulling 8000-8100 on clicker 3, I tried 2 and it would pull 7800-7900 but it would fall off to 7400 if I cycled the throttle, or hit a change in engine load quick. Changed it back to clicker 3 and I did not have a issue, back to 8000-8100.
The 441 IMO does not work very well in a low clicker position, the 415 ramp likes a lower position because of the ramp profile, and it will be a bit snappier on the bottom and have better engine breaking than the 441.
Dj makes a custom ramp that starts off similar to a 415 and has a transition that finishes closer to a 441, I have not tried it but I'm thinking of it for the xm.
The stock clutching is actually pretty good, it could use some tweaking but I just enjoying riding it, so I dunno if I'll even touch the clutching.
If your wondering if there is something wrong with your sled you can check your belt tension and belt condition, but IMO it sounds normal to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
  • Thanks
Reactions: LBZ

HPCrazy

Reaction score
Straight 40 helix blue blue spring, 441 ramp 8mm weight 160 260 spring. Runnimg this combo in my xp with 21 49 gearing ,clicker 5 8100 rpm no fade. love it. 74 kmhr track speed right through turnout, with 84 kmhr uphill catwalk woohoo! Just about bought a kit then tried removing weight, the 8mm weight was the key.

Last edited:

tstams

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.crashheadz.com
Ran the steep and deep clutch kit this weekend works well at 5300 and above anything lower was hitting the rev limiter at the 15 gram suggested weight gunna put a tad bit more weight In it for the days your not so high but there is a difference compared to stock I liked it better but that's my personal opinion!

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you guys are going to Ride your mountain sleds at low elevation you should really look into brp sea level kit. Factory equipment is not optimal for ditch banging and road riding. It's setup for steep and deep high elevation out of the box.

Sask Sledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The brp sea level kit uses 413 ramps. Very revvy on the top end. My DJ kit is awesome. Uses the stock 441s and has great backshift. Just change weight and go for different elevations. Only thing im going to change for flatlanding is to gear it up 2 teeth.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2

Flavor

Reaction score
I run this same kit on a 13 xm 800 etec 154 . I find that this clutch kit is so temperamental with rpm changes when snow conditions change and also with elevation change . I also find it didn't back shift as hard as stock and I lost about 20 mph on top end . Stock clutching I left it on clicker 1 at 7000 feet and still ran 7800 rpm all day even with snow conditions changing it ran strong at 7800 . And I found the front end was as light as a feather with stock clutching . I'm going to try the mighty dj kit and if I'm not satisfied I will be returning my sled to stock and will have two clutch kits for sale lol . But I think bikeman a steep and deep kit didn't function well

Top Bottom