Wiring a Canopy 3rd brake/dome light

Braddock54

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So I got a new canopy..and I want the third brake light and interior dome light to work. Question is, I'm a little unsure of what to tie into.

You'll see that the brake light and dome led light run down to the left side in a black and red two prong connector.

From there I have a harness that came with the cap. It has four plugs, with two lines off each, each with a fuse in the line.

So there is instructions to tap into the factory wire for the brake light. Obviously if I tie into it when I hit the brakes, the third brake light will come on. Not sure where to splice into it though. I've attached pics of the bulbs and the wires leading to them. There is an upper and lower bulb. I'm thinking that perhaps the center green wire is the brake and running light, while the other two are for signals? Tap into the green one?

Where do I get power for the dome led light? It has a tray for 4-aaa batteries but powered would be better.

Attached a pic of the diagram that the canopy came.

Or would it be better to tie into the trailer brake for the brake and power to the dome?

If you couldn't tell, this ain't my area of expertise. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1406321192.934790.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1406321205.627862.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1406321215.351430.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1406322300.195136.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1406322761.835346.jpg

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
does the dome light have a switch?

if so do you have factory 7 pin wiring on the truck?

you could tap into the "charge" wire on the 7pin wiring. Some trucks have power to the back even when the key is off.

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you have a multimeter or test light check that yellow w/ green wire for power on the brake lights. For the dome light I think Tyler has it, easiest to tie into the 7pin wiring. Check for a switch power source so that if you forget the light on the truck battery won't die.

butters

Reaction score
Make sure it's like 70 percent of the ones on the road where the third brake light flashes with the signal lights (one of my pet peeves) pretty sure you have to tie into the trailer plug. You can buy adapters to tee off the 7 wire so you aren't hacking the harness up. If you tie into the truck brake lights it runs off the signals. So you will get the third brake light flashing with signal

Braddock54

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
does the dome light have a switch?

if so do you have factory 7 pin wiring on the truck?

you could tap into the "charge" wire on the 7pin wiring. Some trucks have power to the back even when the key is off.

Yes there is a switch on the dome light. I have the factory 7 pin trailer plug also. That is a good idea about the harness and possibly having constant power there.

Make sure it's like 70 percent of the ones on the road where the third brake light flashes with the signal lights (one of my pet peeves) pretty sure you have to tie into the trailer plug. You can buy adapters to tee off the 7 wire so you aren't hacking the harness up. If you tie into the truck brake lights it runs off the signals. So you will get the third brake light flashing with signal

I hadn't thought of that, but I know what you mean. Makes sense that the third brake light would flash as well.

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It might be easier to run a wire from you brake pedal back.

For dome light go purchase a fuse that has a lead off it for accessory. Then run it from the fuse box. I know Canadian Tire or any parts store sell them.

If you tap into factory wiring you invite corrosion and green death of the wiring.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If it where me I'd wire the light wire to the tail light wire

If it's dark enough outside u need the light inside, then ur lights will be on too... Just wire a switch so it's not always on with the lights

And I agree with ray, the more joints in wiring the more places for rotten wiring

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
On my F-150, there is a blue wire on the left side right above the wheel well in the engine bay just for this purpose. I'm sure all vehicles have this.
I just simply fished the wires down and hooked it up to the brake light. As for the dome light, I just use the park light, then it doesn't drain the battery if left on.

What kind of truck is it for?

Braddock54

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It's on a 2014 F150. I found the wire that Ford dedicates for the CHMSL (center high mount stop light) a capped blue/pink on the drivers side under the hood, I guess so you don't get the blinking third brake light when you signal, if you were to tap into a brake light wire.

I think 18ga wire to this along the frame from harness, and just go to the fuse block for the dome LED, makes the most sense to me. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1406413872.303170.jpg

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yep that's the one. I used a fishline and pulled through the frame of the truck.

Last edited:
Top Bottom