Winter brews clutch kits

oler1234

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I put a set of dj mtn ramps on my xm.... Besides the 3" track that was one of the biggest improvements for clutching. Would recommend you try that over a entire clutch kit.

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I dealt with him direct.
To give an honest review.,,, I never found it much of an advantage/value per $$ IMO.
Now that there are more XMx sleds in my group, I will try to remember to do more side by side comparisons. They use the same ramps, sure you change the pin weights, springs, helix and gearing, but the price isn't as good value now that they now use the stock ramps..\\

I'll report back in November.

cheers.

Are there any Canadian dealers for his kits?

LennyR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I dealt with him direct.
To give an honest review.,,, I never found it much of an advantage/value per $$ IMO.
Now that there are more XMx sleds in my group, I will try to remember to do more side by side comparisons. They use the same ramps, sure you change the pin weights, springs, helix and gearing, but the price isn't as good value now that they now use the stock ramps..\\

I'll report back in November.

cheers.

Great , thanks for the honest review.

Last edited:

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Great , thanks for the report. So, around the little boy playground and the bunny hill where cuso has the sack to ride, this kit doesn't impress him , terrific, in the mountains or off the groomed trail it may work well, but light in the loafers cuso, wouldn't Be able to comment on that. Lol
Oh Lenny, seriously shut the hell up

I to have a buddy with a rooster built kit, pretty much took it all out now

Not sure how much can be improved on the stock xm clutch

Bout the only thing is engine breaking down hill.... But the etch idles so low it drops the belt all the time, unlike a ptec where the d.j kit I have in it will hold u back the hole hill and no brakes

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Not sure how much can be improved on the stock xm ??????

Your kidding right ? I do agree that it works okay for the masses but is a lot to be desired .
Great if you want your ass kicked constantly by a clutched and geared sled.
Don't go off on some rant about this guy and that that guy and so on as have been out with lots of them well tuned factory stock sleds.
Make rpm and no pull just buzzzzzz.
Oh wait the suspension is set up so the ski's go strait up in the air so they must be great?
I have a stock 2012 etec that is geared and clutched with a 2.5 x 174 and have yet to be out pulled in race with and stock XM with 154 or 163.
To me that is embarrassing.
But they are perfect right ?
Jeeesh 😬😬😬

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Not sure how much can be improved on the stock xm ??????

Your kidding right ? I do agree that it works okay for the masses but is a lot to be desired .
Great if you want your ass kicked constantly by a clutched and geared sled.
Don't go off on some rant about this guy and that that guy and so on as have been out with lots of them well tuned factory stock sleds.
Make rpm and no pull just buzzzzzz.
Oh wait the suspension is set up so the ski's go strait up in the air so they must be great?
I have a stock 2012 etec that is geared and clutched with a 2.5 x 174 and have yet to be out pulled in race with and stock XM with 154 or 163.
To me that is embarrassing.
But they are perfect right ?
Jeeesh 
So what did you do with your gearing and clutching?

SidewaysInto3rd

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
another honest review:

I put a rooster kit in my '13.. at first it felt like it hits a lot harder and i got more track speed.. but in actual riding conditions those characteristics didn't really equal better riding. The harder hit would just make me trench and really threw me off my throttle control while boondocking or tree riding. and the track speed, well, it was due to the 21t top gear, which caused me to blow belts in the deep stuff

3 belts later I called him and he suggested I put my 19t gear back in to help with the belt issues ...

there goes the track speed .. and low and behold, still blowing belts

Another thing I noticed was that after 500-600 km I couldnt get proper RPMs anymore, no matter how much I cleaned / maintained / rebuilt my clutch or dropped pin weight... Do his springs lose their springiness quicker than factory ? Who knows ...

Paul is a Good guy and provides good service but needless to say, my '15 will stay stock.

Last edited:

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
On my 14 Freeride, all I did to the clutch was change the Primary spring to bring the engagement RPM down to 3100, instead of the 3900RPM with the stock spring. I did that for a smoother engagement(=less hit), trenches way less.... Skidoo has the engagement set at 3900RPM stock, because they designed it to work in Colorado at 12,000feet. In REVY at 6000ft its too high. Other than that Clicker 3 that's it. Works awesome. I mainly Mountain ride in Revelstoke though,, Im not really a big drag racer....lol

Last edited:

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
another honest review:

I put a rooster kit in my '13.. at first it felt like it hits a lot harder and i got more track speed.. but in actual riding conditions those characteristics didn't really equal better riding. The harder hit would just make me trench and really threw me off my throttle control while boondocking or tree riding. and the track speed, well, it was due to the 21t top gear, which caused me to blow belts in the deep stuff

3 belts later I called him and he suggested I put my 19t gear back in to help with the belt issues ...

there goes the track speed .. and low and behold, still blowing belts

Another thing I noticed was that after 500-600 km I couldnt get proper RPMs anymore, no matter how much I cleaned / maintained / rebuilt my clutch or dropped pin weight... Do his springs lose their springiness quicker than factory ? Who knows ...

Paul is a Good guy and provides good service but needless to say, my '15 will stay stock.
That's what my buddy said also, for us that tree ride and need the Brappp and snap, and not pulling cliff climbs, the kits are made for climbing wot for periods

Not Brappp, Brappp....

He found the gear up hindered it and same as u side ways

So moved back pretty much to stock

Like I said, more back shift and down hill holding is all I want to add to the stock setup

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Great , thanks for the honest review.

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by LennyR
Great , thanks for the report. So, around the little boy playground and the bunny hill where cuso has the sack to ride, this kit doesn't impress him , terrific, in the mountains or off the groomed trail it may work well, but light in the loafers cuso, wouldn't Be able to comment on that. Lol

Eat crow you fawken tool...

LennyR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
https://www.snowandmud.com/images/styles/snow/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by LennyR https://www.snowandmud.com/images/styles/snow/buttons/viewpost-right.png

Eat crow you fawken tool...

LOL. What a willnot

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks Neil.
Lennyr trolling doo threads again.

Oh and nice retraction Lenny. Funny how you woke up and ran to your computer so save face.

Why don't
You start another thread on me.
That last one went so well. Lmao!!

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I couldnt believe how good the stock clutching on the XM is. I rode my 2014 with a RB kit sitting on the bench and didnt see any room for improvement. I put the RB kit in just to see and then sold the sled before I had a chance to try it.

I just picked up a used 2013 with the RB kit in. Be curious to see how it is, but based on what I have heard it sounds like stock stuff might be going back in. I will say one thing though, Paul is an awesome stand up guy. Nothing but good things to say about him. Ill post an honest review once I get a chance to run this winter. My brother has an identical sled to mine with stock clutching so it should be a good comparison.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There is a difference from stock to the RB kit, there is not the huge gain like there was in the past. The stock clutching does work well.
Even better gains with the new ramps Paul recommended to me at the start of last season, I think those ramps are offered in his kits now.
Last year Comparing my sled to a stock clutched and geared 14's both a 163 and 154 mine had more track speed and built it quicker, I am running a belt drive as well so the quicker building track speed may of been from the belt drive.

To the Op about Canadian dealers, riderz in Edson was bringing them in last year, they may have stock on those kits.

Last edited:

BCAV

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i dont know anything about winter brews clutch kits but i can tell you that the dj clutch kit i put into my 08 p tech was the best upgrade i could have done it felt like a different sled im sure the stock clutching for the xm is better than it was in 08 but i would have to say you wouldnt be dissapointed with a dynamo joe kit or even just his helix and mountain ramps hes very helpfull im sure if u contacted him an told him what u were looking for exactly he could set you up

Rotax_Kid

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had both kits plus tried a few other things in my 14 XM last year. They are both fairly similar, but slightly different. I found DJ's kit to work a little better at lower elevation. I never tried it up at altitude yet. WB's kit worked well at altitude. Both kits gave a noticeable improvement in response and both guys were awesome to do business with

chickenman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So is the pest bang for you buck a set of DJs mountain ramps and leave the rest alone?

Top Bottom