Wild Life Sightings While Sledding?

BC Sno-Ghost

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just out of interest what is the wildest wild life you've seen while sledding? Me personally... about 8 years ago came across a Bobcat about 100 ft up the trail in front of me. Quickly stopped and shut down my sled. The wife came up behind me and she shut down her sled. The cat actually laid down in the middle of the trail and watched us for about 2 to 3 minutes before heading off into the woods. Kinda weird for such a timid animal. About 5 years ago a group of forestry workers suggested that we leave one area because of a Grizzly out of hibernation was sighted several times in the immediate area. We left! :beer:

Cowboy151

Reaction score
:beer:Great thread. I too have come across a lynx(bobcat) in my travels. Ironically I had not seen anything for years , but in the las 6 years or so I have come across rabbits, coyotes, said bobcat and a couple of moose. Of course around home I see all sorts but all these were seen on mountain trips. The one moose we had to follow for 15 minuts because he would not leave the trail. At a widening I flanked him to flare him up a different trail so we could carry on without fear of him facing up and getting aggresive. When I saw him hit the deep snow on the adjacent trail, he came to a stop as his belly contacted the deep snow. There and then I realized the VALUABLE resource a groomed snowmobile trail offers wildlife for access and mobility. Maybe the treehuggers should consider this aspect when they lobby to keep us out of areas due to wildlife. Keep the shiney side up.

RaspberryNytro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
have come across a few moose before, bobcat and 3 young, a BIG blk wolf on the road out of Chatter Creek,a young Grizzly on the road into Silent Pass.............It's pretty cool gettin to see something different out there!!!

RN

CaribooSlyder

Reaction score
Just out of interest what is the wildest wild life you've seen while sledding? Me personally... about 8 years ago came across a Bobcat about 100 ft up the trail in front of me. Quickly stopped and shut down my sled. The wife came up behind me and she shut down her sled. The cat actually laid down in the middle of the trail and watched us for about 2 to 3 minutes before heading off into the woods. Kinda weird for such a timid animal. About 5 years ago a group of forestry workers suggested that we leave one area because of a Grizzly out of hibernation was sighted several times in the immediate area. We left! :beer:
Was fortunate to come across 6 mountain caribou last winter.
They were on the trail ,we shut down and they milled around for a couple of minutes before heading over the edge and out of sight.
What amazed me was how easily they walked through the snow that
we sunk into up past our waists.

QMAO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
While quading near the meadows on the North Fork road last summer we came across Moose, elks Mountain sheep and black bear all in one day. The moose and elk just lingered around and watched us watch them.
The bear did not stick around to check us out.
The sheep where at the corrals over by the Ram Tower. very cool.

team dirt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.sledseymourarm.ca
saw a wolf in elkford on a night ride and a wolverine last spring driving up to the snow line in north schuswap. lots of bears in the spring also on the roads. you need 4x4 for the bear crap.

growly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
:beer:Great thread. I too have come across a lynx(bobcat) in my travels. Ironically I had not seen anything for years , but in the las 6 years or so I have come across rabbits, coyotes, said bobcat and a couple of moose. Of course around home I see all sorts but all these were seen on mountain trips. The one moose we had to follow for 15 minuts because he would not leave the trail. At a widening I flanked him to flare him up a different trail so we could carry on without fear of him facing up and getting aggresive. When I saw him hit the deep snow on the adjacent trail, he came to a stop as his belly contacted the deep snow. There and then I realized the VALUABLE resource a groomed snowmobile trail offers wildlife for access and mobility. Maybe the treehuggers should consider this aspect when they lobby to keep us out of areas due to wildlife. Keep the shiney side up.

Maybe you should have considered shutting down your sled and letting the Moose go off on it's way naturally,instead of breaking the law and chasing wildlife. just sayin.

We see Deer and Moose all the time when sledding,also see the elusive tree cougar now and then.

Reaction score
Last summer came across a couple caribou while quadding in nortthern b.c., couple years ago watched a group of about 10 to 12 caribou make their way across a ridge for about 45 minutes by the quintette coal mine near tumbler.

sumx54

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.absoluteadventure.ca
On the odd occasion one may see the Beaver lying in the sun on a warm winter day :d :beer: :d

Attachments

• SSPX0440.jpg
    SSPX0440.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 53
  • SSPX0466.jpg
    SSPX0466.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 55

DOONORTH

Reaction score
For me , while sledding in the redfern area, herd of buffalo, and three moose hiding under the spruce trees within 20 km of each other.

junior750

Reaction score
moose and caribou are very common here, hard to not see em when youre out for a scoot. other then that nothing crazy

BC Sno-Ghost

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
On the odd occasion one may see the Beaver lying in the sun on a warm winter day :d :beer: :d

Ahhh! The elusive Canadian Beaver! That's a pretty tame one. Be careful...even the tame ones can turn on ya in a heartbeat! ;)
Spotting a Wolverine is pretty rare for sure. Only want to see them little devils from a distance.

jaredszakacs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
we were quading up rose pass just east of kootenay lake came across an elk and calve we slowly followed them down the trail the calve darted off immediately but came around a corner and momma was running full bore at us she ended up leaping into the ditch about 20 feet from were we were parked. We also were sledding about two years back in the lower part of flathead valley by the old airstrip and ran across cougar prints that were over the sled tracks from the group 10 minutes ahead of us. We see lots of bighorns and mountaingoats back there and they are sure something to watch when they get playing or ru8nning around on the edges of cliffs. Great Thread!!

funtimes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
While sledding around our family cabin in Nordegg, I came accross 2 wild Horses that are around the area. That was cool. I have seen lots of deer and a couple of moose. A couple of years ago I saw a wolf while quadding by Swan Hills.

sledneck48

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Saw a couger on the road to Bell mountain in Mcbride a few years ago. Came across a huge herd of caribou on the lake at Millage in Vale. And saw a couple of white weasels at the Renshaw

Jeepindg

Reaction score
Ive had lots of siteings, from fox's to moose to bears, Most animals hear you coming and step into the bush and stop moving, which you could ride 10" away from them and never even know there there.

You just have to keep an eye out for the tracks and signs of the animals and look and you'll find them.

Dustin

Top Bottom