Who follows break in periods?

13RMKPRO

Reaction score
Ill just listen to what the mechanic said, first tank add a little oil, vary the throttle position, once to cabin let cool right off. Put another heat cycle into it varying the throttle, let cool .. Good to go!

Braap braaaaap !!!!

-L

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I heat cycle the motor 3 times,add a bit of oil to the tank and them ride it fairly hard but do not hold it to the bar for to long.IMO heat cycling the motor is the key to longevity...

if this works for you great, this is an old wives tale as it has no scientific reality, you cannot get the motor hot enough to affect metal in the engine, besides all metal requiring heat treating has been done at the factory, but if it brings you peace of mind go ahead, u may as well do it 4 times just to be sure.

smokindave

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
if this works for you great, this is an old wives tale as it has no scientific reality, you cannot get the motor hot enough to affect metal in the engine, besides all metal requiring heat treating has been done at the factory, but if it brings you peace of mind go ahead, u may as well do it 4 times just to be sure.

Oh is that right,lol Larry you are the last person I would EVER ask for advise.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
not giving any, just sayin if that works for ya great, just no real evidence it works or can you elaborate on just how it makes your motor run better. man you take offence easily.

so davey your the one telling us about your motor break in please explain the science behind your 3 heat cycles.

guess i will tell ya then, go to doorfx post #19, read the motoune usa article, he explains the 3 heat cycles is mainly for break in on a dyno. mainly to keep the motor cool. otherwise the 3 heat cycle thing is a old wives tale for motor break in.

warm the motor up and ride it, is the best way period. i personnaly would warm the sled up and check for leaks etc, run a couple miles varing the throttle and pull over and check for leaks again, then it is ride on. ya need the rings to seat, and an easy break in and not warming the motor up is the worst thing ya can do. so far u are the only one doing the 3 heat cycle thing why. again if it works for ya fine.

Last edited:

smokindave

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
not giving any, just sayin if that works for ya great, just no real evidence it works or can you elaborate on just how it makes your motor run better. man you take offence easily.

so davey your the one telling us about your motor break in please explain the science behind your 3 heat cycles.

guess i will tell ya then, go to doorfx post #19, read the motoune usa article, he explains the 3 heat cycles is mainly for break in on a dyno. mainly to keep the motor cool. otherwise the 3 heat cycle thing is a old wives tale for motor break in.

warm the motor up and ride it, is the best way period. i personnaly would warm the sled up and check for leaks etc, run a couple miles varing the throttle and pull over and check for leaks again, then it is ride on. ya need the rings to seat, and an easy break in and not warming the motor up is the worst thing ya can do. so far u are the only one doing the 3 heat cycle thing why. again if it works for ya fine.

Totally agree,for a four stroke,read on!

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Totally agree,for a four stroke,read on!

applies to any motor out there dave, the examples where on racing bikes. and this thread was about 2 strokes.

maybe instead of being so smug and authoritative dave maybe ya should read the article. or are you the old dog that can't learn new tricks.

before ya get further bent out of shape explain the reasoning behind the 3 heatcycles. as you brought it up. not me.

Last edited:

smokindave

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
applies to any motor out there dave, the examples where on racing bikes. and this thread was about 2 strokes.

maybe instead of being so smug and authoritative dave maybe ya should read the article. or are you the old dog that can't learn new tricks.

before ya get further bent out of shape explain the reasoning behind the 3 heatcycles. as you brought it up. not me.

I brought it up along with others but you being the dick you are singled me out.Yes I read all about Motoman and his way of breaking in a motor.years ago.
Larry you are a hero......ah correction,zero
Now bug off and quit singling me out,got it

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
wow, anyone questions your post and you go ballistic, nice, you like this on slow west too. you need to take a chill pill dude, easy on the name calling, you seem to be the one having a tantrum, guess your not going to explain your break in method,

so dave you had been the only one mentioning the 3 cycle break in and you felt it was the only way to break in a motor, that is what i got from your first post before ya got hostile. i'm still looking for an explanation as your claimng your some motor building expert, not me.

Last edited:

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well after reading the pages.

I'd say u need to get some and calm down Dave.

Mabe join k.c.c.o

The chive

sent from my htc

smokindave

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
wow, anyone questions your post and you go ballistic, nice, you like this on slow west too. you need to take a chill pill dude, easy on the name calling, you seem to be the one having a tantrum, guess your not going to explain your break in method,

so dave you had been the only one mentioning the 3 cycle break in and you felt it was the only way to break in a motor, that is what i got from your first post before ya got hostile. i'm still looking for an explanation as your claimng your some motor building expert, not me.

I made what claim?
You seriously have some issues.
I have absolutely no respect for you,might as well say it.I DON'T LIKE YOU now why would i want to have conversation with you?

Is that some thing you can grasp or are you just going to keep going on and on.
Oh well thankfully there is a ignore feature.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
you may want to reread your posts dave, i really could care less on your respect as i don't think you got any spine dude. you spew forth gospel but when asked ya go into some sort of hissyfit, just asked for a reason behind your opinion, not some sort of tantrum, maybe grow up and explain yourself.

chadwik74

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My dealership puts a shot of oil in the tank and throws in the rest of the 1L for the first full tank fill up...never had any troubles.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I heat cycle the motor 3 times,add a bit of oil to the tank and them ride it fairly hard but do not hold it to the bar for to long.IMO heat cycling the motor is the key to longevity...

I am going to extra heat cycle your motor before I hand it over......eeeeek

Not really any break in for the turbo,but once the system has been used for a bit we will checking for boost leaks,coolant leaks,oil circulation and those pesky cracks that can happen on the exhaust causing boost leaks.
I have a feeling you won't be holding it to the bar for to long,your first few rides you'll have to get used to having longer arms....lol

Oh is that right,lol Larry you are the last person I would EVER ask for advise.

maybe i missread your informative posts dave, just before ya got mad. you care to explain

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
So now that the senseless bickering is done with you 2, we can move on with this thread........

My dealership said to do the same thing with a L of oil on the first tank, as well as don't touch the throttle until the poo reaches a min of 110F

Sent by Crapatalk, till I get a new laptop.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
when i got my last sled that is pretty much what i did to QT. took it to gorman, got broke in in a hurry, not really my plan but the way it went. but with the newer sled looks like this may not be the way for the new etecs, but the guys who ride em seem to say drive em like you will ride them. and if you trade every year why not.

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well, I would tend to agree that idling with no load does nothing to seat the rings...they're just flapping back and forth and wearing the edges in a curve shape instead of flat against the cylinder wall. Clearances are set when the motor is built...the only thing that needs to wear in properly is the rings, and you need rpm and load to seat them properly. Everything I've owned, new or re-built gets warmed up, then drove how it's gonna get drove.

d mills

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
when i got my last sled that is pretty much what i did to QT. took it to gorman, got broke in in a hurry, not really my plan but the way it went. but with the newer sled looks like this may not be the way for the new etecs, but the guys who ride em seem to say drive em like you will ride them. and if you trade every year why not.

My etec got broke in exactly the same way larry. Except at clemina.

Top Bottom