Who bought an ABS Escape at the show?

007sevens

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So as the title says who bought on and did you ask or do you know just how the flip were going to mount the shovel, handle, and your probe to the pac. Pictures if ya have them would be great. Now having asked that, its obvious that one can mount them with duct tape or something. My point is that the advertising said that it has places for them but I fail to see it.

ABS Escape 15
Weight: approx. 2.8 kg (6.2 lb) without cartridge
Volume: 15 liters (915 cu in)
Colors:

The perfect companion for skiers and snowboarders on long day trips

• At least 15 liter (915 cu in) pack volume
  • Ergonomic hip and shoulder belts with position adjusting straps allow accurate positioning of the backpack and uniform weight distribution
  • Avalanche shovel, probe, ski and snowboard holders
  • Airstripes system (back carrying system with foam padding) and Mesh-Tex (breathable mesh material ensures the highest level of wearing comfort)
  • Several zipper pockets, inside and outside compartments and breathable mesh material
  • Backpack material made of extremely rub- and tear resistant polyamide fiber fabric
  • Hydrobag compartment
  • Ski and snowboard straps, ice axe holder, volume adjustable for variable pack space
  • Detachable leg and chest straps
  • ABS airbags with 170 liter (6.0 cu ft) buoyancy volume

Attachments

• escape15_schwarz_160_2.jpg
    escape15_schwarz_160_2.jpg
    5.8 KB · Views: 375
Last edited:

j335

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Should be plenty of room in the main compartment. They told us this at the show for this model.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
question .... why would u have ur probs and shovel on your sled ??????? what happens when an avy happens ur sleds covered and ur not ?

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score

007sevens

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You could mount the shovel under the two straps but not very secure. The handle I have which is BCA is way to long for inside. I had it strapped down and on there but it would take quite a while to get into the pac everytime you went in for something. I got caught up in the momement buying it for its price and air bag and did not realise it did mount stuff on the outside very easily.

sled-fiend

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.raintek.ca
I have a 15L escape, I use a Black Diamond deploy 3 shovel, I mount in under the straps and wrap the top bungy like cord around the shovel handle. Never once had my shovel fall out. I've also used the HMK shovel and put the removable shaft behind the shovel and wrap the bungee around the top of the handle. Never lost a shovel with that setup either.

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It says as you quoted for skiers and snowboarders. It was likely never intended to have external shovel storage. You could try and secure it like mentioned under the straps as thats where the snowboard is meant to be stowed. Internal looks like the only place.

Also the meshed elastic netting that comes on top of the pack could possibly be used on the rear to secure a shovel.

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It says as you quoted for skiers and snowboarders. It was likely never intended to have external shovel storage. You could try and secure it like mentioned under the straps as thats where the snowboard is meant to be stowed. Internal looks like the only place.

Also the meshed elastic netting that comes on top of the pack could possibly be used on the rear to secure a shovel.
skiers and snowboarders don't carry shovels?

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
skiers and snowboarders don't carry shovels?

I don't think I have ever encountered one boarder with a shovel...sled skiing/boarding or not...of course I would think they should, but most I have seen take a minimalist approach.

And as I said, it wasn't probably designed for external shovel storage...I don't see where I said they don't carry them? So of the people I encounter they quite possibly have them inside their packs.

Sorry if you can't understand that

Last edited:

Highmarker03

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The one I just bought has a pocket for external shovel storage as well as a handle pouch on the outside. I was told it was this years new model. Not sure as I haven't seen it on any website at all yet. Don't even see it on ABS website. It is the 15L Vario SB. Will post a pic if I get a chance.

Top Bottom