which gauge to get. AFR or EGT for M7

waynemags

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
looking at getting gauge. wondering wich one to get. afr or egt. cant spend the money for both right now. opinions please. heres my mods,,,,,,,

Boondocker fuel controller. speedwerk pipe y pipe and can. cold air intake. vents. m8secondary. Cr tunnel.gold finger lefty throttle.gas can thingy.boss seat.rox riser.powerclaw track.clutched primary.knee pads.

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I went with an EGT on my M7. AFR on a two stroke is hard on O2 sensors in my experience. And EGT's will tell you what's going on in each individual cylinder, rather than just the combined exhaust. Either one can lie to you at times, so you need to be checking plugs and piston wash to get your base tuning done.

dezmitchell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I went with an EGT on my M7. AFR on a two stroke is hard on O2 sensors in my experience. And EGT's will tell you what's going on in each individual cylinder, rather than just the combined exhaust. Either one can lie to you at times, so you need to be checking plugs and piston wash to get your base tuning done.
DITTO!

i run a koso egt on mine and love the fact that i can see what each piston is doing

waynemags

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
where do u run the probes on a single pipe? right at the ypipe one on each cylinder?

Slamnek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had both on my 09 M8 and i took the EGT's off. I found the AFR eaiser to tune with. As long as my AFR numbers were good, the EGT numbers were good. Heres a pic of where my egt's were mounted on an SLP y-pipe SLP 5.jpg

waynemags

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i may be wrong but with the AFR you would still need a dual screen readout with 2 probes. One for each cylinder, correct? if you only had a single probe in tha can youre not getting a true reading from each cylinder, youre getting whatever collects in the exhaust from both. where as the EGT is true data from each cylinder. Now im sure thats how it works for the AFR but that doubled youre price for the hardware. i havent seen a dual afr gauge. please correct me if im wrong. and i agree if the afr is good the egt should be good as youre getting a good burn. not rich not lean.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i may be wrong but with the AFR you would still need a dual screen readout with 2 probes. One for each cylinder, correct? if you only had a single probe in tha can youre not getting a true reading from each cylinder, youre getting whatever collects in the exhaust from both. where as the EGT is true data from each cylinder. Now im sure thats how it works for the AFR but that doubled youre price for the hardware. i havent seen a dual afr gauge. please correct me if im wrong. and i agree if the afr is good the egt should be good as youre getting a good burn. not rich not lean.

True, the AFR is not both cylinders. But EGTs will only give you some information, not true piston temps and depending on probe placement, they can be quite far off and misleading. Too fat and it will burn fuel in the pipe and actually give you a false high reading, some probes are not as fast as others and will be reading temps that are too high maybe after it is too late. If you are running that close to the edge neither the EGT or AFR is going to save your motor.

Best thing to do is calibrate your AFR to proper plug readings and piston wash and then use the plugs and wash readings to balance the motor cylinder to cylinder while staying close to your baseline AFR/EGT readings. The AFR sensors will last if you buy the 2 stroke adapter from Koso, but don't expect them to last if you are running AV gas or race fuel. The sensors do not like Lead. DO NOT TRY AND TUNE WITH EGTS OR AFR IF YOU HAVE NOT CALIBRATED TO THE PLUGS AND WASH.

Top Bottom