When to go to Cooke City?

zenk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am looking for some help. When is the best time of the winter season to visit Cooke City? We are thinking of planning our first sledding trip to Cooke and would like to know when the best time to go might be. Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Whenever it snows. Watch the snow report. Honestly they don’t get the snow down there like they used to. Fun sledding though with the pubs on trails and the ability to ride your sleds to supper and breakfast.

MP Kid

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Whenever it snows. Watch the snow report. Honestly they don’t get the snow down there like they used to. Fun sledding though with the pubs on trails and the ability to ride your sleds to supper and breakfast.
Hey Ken, OP is talking Cooke, not West Yellowstone… quite a bit different.

I’ve never been to Cooke, but know a few that have been, thinking later is better, just like anywhere, conditions are variable year over year.

LennyR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The highway from Red Lodge , over Beartooth Pass to Cooke is projected to open June 1 this year , barring late storms.

MP Kid

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The highway from Red Lodge , over Beartooth Pass to Cooke is projected to open June 1 this year , barring late storms.
I’m not familiar with the normal dates, is this early?

I know that the road to the sun is sometimes not open until well into July

LennyR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I’m not familiar with the normal dates, is this early?

I know that the road to the sun is sometimes not open until well into July
June is normal opening , some years it’s later. You can still get there earlier if needed, you just have to come around thru West Yellowstone, it’s open all year , just makes it further . On a motorcycle , Beartooth is one of my favourite high passes. Hiway to the sun is about 6900 ft , Beartooth is almost 11,000.

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
And the Big Horn loop...

Hit the loop or do the up and over...

Dont forget too catch the old water dam too the West... lots of green moss grown in on it,,, narrow dam but tall...

So much too see and never enough time

Poleman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Look for Bearclaw Bob's on the Snowest Forum for latest conditions.

Top Bottom