whats the sled worth??... needs new motor

j335

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
sounds like the kind of shop that will rotate your transmission and upgrade your flux capacitor for free too!!

I also asked them to Port my Chaincase! :confused:

glengine

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If threads from the belt got wrapped around crank behind the clutch it could have taken out the crank seal. would have caused it to lean out and possibly caused it to seieze but after it cooled off it came free and now due to the piston being scored and rings seized it's really low on compression. I'd suggest pulling the pipe and y-piupe off and looking at the piston.

rmktime

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
offer him 1000 for the sled , order the motor for 25oo , put it together , sell sled 5000 , buy beer for friend tell how bad you feel for him:d

j335

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
this guy knows what hes talking about

how about take some pics for us with the head off and y pipe and carb boots off

Thanks guys, I'll try to get a pic tomorrow

mxz sledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I be do a few more test before i call it dead it only take few minutes do leak down test and much more unbolt the head and have a look just a thought

Catman10

Drinking the Doolaid
Reaction score
Glen engine is right about the crank seal going out with rope and belt material wrapping around the crank, but it wont usually lean out and die really quick like that unless you are w/o and depending on how cold it was outside at the time. I think the recoil is definately the first place to start, figure out why it wont turn over the engine, fix it and then do your compression test, something isnt adding up here, it makes me angry that you may be getting bent over by some shop that is just out for the bucks. If you lived closer I would give you a hand, but instead take the advice of the guys on this site, there is alot of good info here.

j335

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply's guys. I'm out of the country again for a bit, but I'll take a look at it this summer when I get the chance and probably ask more questions from you guys. :d

OVERKILL 19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Most shop's are great...but some are not! I had a 01 that when we fired her up the first time for the season, it would not run worth a crap! Turple Brothers said it needed a whole new engine???????WTF it ran great last year? They said it needs a engine, if your such a great mechanic fix it yourself. Nice eh! So after I got some time to hunt and peck, a new set of reeds. It ran as great as ever and still is to this day 3 years later. $400 vs $3500. WTF Turples again!

corralmtnzz

Reaction score
What dealer is saying that he needs a new motor? May want to call One Way Marine in Helena and describe what it did and they may give you another suggestion or they may want to see it. If the shop didn't take it apart, how do they know it needs a new motor?

j335

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
my brother brought it to St Paul and Grassland Sales (in Alberta). St Paul said it might need a new motor and we just got some prices from Grassland. In case your interested Grassland had the best price and warranty, but they said worse case it's the motor. Won't look into it until the summer, just too busy right now. :rolleyes:

Top Bottom