What tires do you have?

Teryxryder

Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

I just picked up a 2010 Silverado with the duramax. I put 6" of lift on it with 35's BF goodrich All terrains. It's not my first choice in tires, but I'm trying to find the balance between durability and awesome styling. If I was going to change the tires what would you guys recommend?

badsled

Reaction score
Teryxryder my 08 came with the BFG all terrains 305-50-20. They were not the greatest for milage, 40 thou miles, but were decent traction on snow and ice, now have cooper zeons, they are wearing down fast and definately not the best on icy conditions.

Luke The Drifter

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I can tell you that my next set of tires won't be BFG all terrains. Currently running 37x12.5R17 BFGs (came with the truck, brand new rubber) and on dry pavement and dirt they're ok. Ice, snow and mud they suck, period. They are lasting fairly well though. I've got about 49,000kms on them and they're about 50% worn.

What kind of tires you want depends on what kind of conditions you plan on driving in. If you see a lot of offroad or get into situations where there can be a lot of mud or snow, you should probably look at a mud terrain. If you drive a lot of highway and see the dirt occasionally, maybe an all terrain would suit you better.

Teryxryder

Reaction score
I will be driving on road most of the time, so maybe the BF's will have to do. I was really hoping for something with some cool sidewall lugs even if they are just for show.

08summit

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Toyo makes a good mud terrian...I run them in the summer and BFG's for the winter. Stay clear of a mud tire in winter as they are to hard and end up like a hockey puck on icy roads...I've had my share of tires over the yrs as I usually rack up about 100,000k a yr and as stated above the BFG's don't have a lot of life in them (usually 50,000 for me) but they are a decent tire in the winter but they do suck in the mud...just my 2 cents.

Fallen

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I will be driving on road most of the time, so maybe the BF's will have to do. I was really hoping for something with some cool sidewall lugs even if they are just for show.

I've ran BFG all terrains on my 92 toyota pick up, and now on my ram they are great all around tires. They great every day driving tires, good on dirt roads. Not so good in the mud, but alright for mild off roading. I also ran firestone mud terrains they were surprisingly good on ice, and awesome in the mud. The firestones were very lound though, not a highway tire.

Fallen

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Oh and i had dick cepek all terrains those were the worst tire i ever had on a truck. No good on mud, rain, and danergous on ice.

mb1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just pulled off my Toyo MT's, I had hand siped them last year before winter and they worked well for me, including a few trips to revy on icy roads. For a 35 they were really good. I'm selling them now with almost 50,000 km on them and just over 50% remaining. Truck is a Dmax.

So now I put on Toyo M55 and in a 265/70/17 and they're just as noisy as the MT's were. Seem to grip decent though in the few miles I've put on them.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i have kumho road venture mts. been through alot of tires and these are amazing. biggest lug and best pattern and ZERO road noise. works good in the mud road and snow. i have alot of miles on these and not even starting to wear. amazing tire. they look sick on trucks too.

kumvm2.ang.jpg

flabbajabba

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I got the Nitto Terra grapplers on mine. It had the BFG AT and they wore out way too fast. They are great on the snow and ice. I wanted more of a MT looking tire(side wall etc.), but went for something I can drive on bad roads. I love the look of the Toyo open country MT but they are "hockey pucks" on snow.

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
just put a set of 305/60 18s on my f150. dick cepek fcII seem not to bad for a all terrain tire. not real noisy on the highway and still ride ok. performance on ice seems to be what you would expect from a non winter tire on a p/u. had a few friends that ran them and they got over 100k out of them so we'll see. got a smokin deal on them though so had to but 350.00 for all four and the worst one is still over 85% remaining.

08summit

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
just put a set of 305/60 18s on my f150. dick cepek fcII seem not to bad for a all terrain tire. not real noisy on the highway and still ride ok. performance on ice seems to be what you would expect from a non winter tire on a p/u. had a few friends that ran them and they got over 100k out of them so we'll see. got a smokin deal on them though so had to but 350.00 for all four and the worst one is still over 85% remaining.

I ran these tires on a couple trucks and was pretty happy with them...not the best tire I ever had but overall was satisfied with them. For $350 I don't think you can be disappointed...lol.

08summit

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just pulled off my Toyo MT's, I had hand siped them last year before winter and they worked well for me, including a few trips to revy on icy roads. For a 35 they were really good. I'm selling them now with almost 50,000 km on them and just over 50% remaining. Truck is a Dmax.

So now I put on Toyo M55 and in a 265/70/17 and they're just as noisy as the MT's were. Seem to grip decent though in the few miles I've put on them.

Good to know...I run the MT's all summer but thought they were terrible in the winter. I wondered if I siped them if it would make much difference....maybe give it a try now with my next set.

loffelbein88

Reaction score
I work at a GM dealer.We install many lifts. 4,6,8 inch.The mickey tompson MTZ radial SLT tire is nice.lasts good and loooks good.Also the baja claws are good.Also the pro comp x terrain radials aregood.my buddy had em and they lastest

mb1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Good to know...I run the MT's all summer but thought they were terrible in the winter. I wondered if I siped them if it would make much difference....maybe give it a try now with my next set.

Something to remember is that bigger tires have more surface area, so you need to run less pressure to get back the same ride/ grip/ feel. I was running 42#F, 38#R with the 35's, and I could have gone quite a bit lower to get some ride quality back. I'm trying out 46#F, 40#R in the M55 in a 265. So far feels decent. Lots of guys run rated pressure all the time...... not for me, but I'm not towing heavy either.

Pic of the siping I did. I cut most of the lugs for forward / braking grip, and on the lugs towards the outer edge of the tire I cut them to help cornering.

sipes.jpg

Top Bottom