What is the best gps to us on a snomobile

Canadian_bacon

Reaction score
Hey, does anybody know which GPS is the best? I'm looking for a durable one that I can mount on my summits handlebars. I would also prefer one that has good maps with it ie. back country trails, creeks and lakes and a mount that will hold it steady on the handle bars. Any suggestions?

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
I find the Topo Canada maps from Garmin the most useful. They have the most ground detail with contours, creeks, and major logging roads. They don't have single track trails that were made without approval of some level of government.

As for carrying it out in the open, why? Some guys have lost them and with all the information (waypoints/tracks you put in them) is it worth it? I carry mine in a riser bag with the end of the antenna sticking out (Rino 650).

dogsmack

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Garmin Nuvi 550 mounted on a RAM setup. First thing with GPS' is make sure you can use it with confidence, or in my case everyone around I knew could show me how to use it, teach me and upload their maps:cool:. The Rhino's with the find friends feature would of been handy a couple times in the past and our group talks about switching everytime we "misplace" someone. Depends of what exactly you are looking for with finding your way home I suppose.

Grinder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ram mount clamps gps down add short fish leader just in case but have never lost mine

Rbrduk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a 650 Montana with a powered mount affixed to my handle bars. The mount locks the unit into place with a torx screw and is very solid. I'm not worried that it will come out of the mount.
As for the gps it's self, very good unit, touch screen that can be used with gloves on. As for maps, I'm not sure what's loaded onto it (bought it used).

Top Bottom