What is it with used vehicles

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've been looking for 2 weeks and I am so sick of it. Half of the people I contact don't answer their phone, try 2 days in a row never get called back, not old ads either and they are still up. If it's sold remove the dahm ad. Or people edit their ad and add $4000 to the price :rolleyes: Decent price becomes stupid. Finally found one tonight I though......pulled up and couldn't believe my eyes. Massive dent in the side of the box and bumper, running boards look like they are going to fall off. Needless to say I just drove away didn't even bother. Picture was obviously old and not even close, didn't say ANYTHING about damage in ad or when I phoned. It was a 2005 with 180,000km price reflected good to great shape, and not even interested in something beat to hell anyways just wasted my time.

So frustered. If anyone knows of a decent dodge ram cummins any year from 95-06 really. I don't care if it's a 2500, 3500 srw or dually, auto or stick anymore, long or short box. As long as it's not miled out (under 300km), half decent shape and they have half a brain to price it decently......don't think i'm that picky.

Don't get me wrong, there's a ton of these trucks for sale in the newer ones, but most people are on crack with their prices.

I finally understand why trucks are now more at the auction then private. People don't want to deal with most private peoples BS trying to buy it...... :rant:

Last edited:

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
I was dealing with a guy in coquitlam BC on a 1998 BMW M3 convertible, it was the LS Blue color which is rare and not easy to come by hense the broad search area....

I talked to him about condition... he said great shape, all maintenance up to date, babied ect.ect.ect.

I was weary because his price was low for even one of the more common models.... he agreed to an inspection so I called a shop in coquitlam and arranged for an appointment on my dime....

FAILED...... Everything.... mechanic told me it would take $15K+ to bring that thing back up to snuff... EVERY fluid leaked, Every body panel was missing clips and loose, brakes were shot all the way around, convertible top leaked and the interior was musty/mouldy a 2 page list of deficiencies was faxed to me...:eek:

Hmmmm.... was gonna post the link to the ad, but it looks like someone got suckered...

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That's brutal. I've found a few an hour or so out of town, but I am worried about driving anywhere, even with lots of pictures. I will not be a happy camper if I drive 2 hours to a piece of crap.........I am pretty much just getting to the poin to say deliver it to me, tell me EVERY bit and piece about it or you'll be going back home with it.

I will admit, I will not pay a premium dollar for any truck no matter how nice. I want a good deal or else I won't buy it. But a lot i'm not even bothering making an offer considering some people want 25-50% to much.

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Here is the truck I looked at tonight. Look's pretty nice don't it? Can you spot the body damage? I will admit the price is pretty decent. But not for the shape it's in...... I should of known he was a idiot when he said "The motor itself is worth more than I am asking for the entire truck". I was weary when I seen the mods and new engine, but he just BS'd on the phone about it like crazy so figured it was worth a look.

Dodge Ram 3500 - Edmonton Pickup Trucks For Sale - Kijiji Edmonton

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i would stay away from the 05 dodge cummins pos the worst year for that motor trust me on this one :d

I know dodge cummins inside and out, and any single problem. I am not one bit worried about the injector line issues, or the other minor issues some 05's had. They have intank lift pump, which is still not great but meh. The only year I will not buy is a 07.5 because of the crappy 6.7. There are some motors dropping valves or whatever, but pretty rare and it happened just as much in any 3rd gen year.

Plus, any truck I buy is just to drive for a year or so, maybe 20,000km on it. No mods or anything planned. Just something to drive and build my house with that will be worked hard for a while.

Seriously just considering a 1500 though, they seem to get trashed a lot less. They have 10,000lbs towing capacity right, I am sure I can pull a skidsteer with it! :p

gotboost

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
found one for u but its in calgary

Attachments

• 1500h5_20.jpg
    1500h5_20.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 107

fat tire

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Cycle I got an 05.......larimie ouad cab........ about 130 on it* mostly hwy.....had it since new.....no* mods just reg maint, put pias running lights and a hid kit in it .... needed the brights for* all the deer I don't wanna hit..... what kind of dollars are ya willing to spend.

fat tire

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
well when i had my 05 2 head mechanics from dodge told me 05 was the worst year so dont shoot the messenger just try to help some as i put $20000 into mine to keep it running :realmad:
yeah I know of people who had issues too but that 5.9 was 03 to 05 standard......... made in mexico...... but 20 gs into that engine or truck is way 2 much. IMO

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Cycle I got an 05.......larimie ouad cab........ about 130 on it* mostly hwy.....had it since new.....no* mods just reg maint, put pias running lights and a hid kit in it .... needed the brights for* all the deer I don't wanna hit..... what kind of dollars are ya willing to spend.

Well depending on shape it's probably worth $19-21k. But the most I want to spend on a truck is $15,500.

03-05 had minor changes to the motor but nothing huge. And 06 had the exact same motor.

white6

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i know whatcha mean cyle. even most the guys you try talkin to at dealerships about used vehicles are complete boneheads it seems. you tell them exactly what you want and they start tryin to put you in something different instead of simply saying 'im sorry we dont have that'. Feel like iv abused the internet tryin to find an 07-09 duramax slt crew in blk or white. just not there, and if they are they're askin wayy to much! :(

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I know dodge cummins inside and out, and any single problem. I am not one bit worried about the injector line issues, or the other minor issues some 05's had. They have intank lift pump, which is still not great but meh. The only year I will not buy is a 07.5 because of the crappy 6.7. There are some motors dropping valves or whatever, but pretty rare and it happened just as much in any 3rd gen year.

Plus, any truck I buy is just to drive for a year or so, maybe 20,000km on it. No mods or anything planned. Just something to drive and build my house with that will be worked hard for a while.

Seriously just considering a 1500 though, they seem to get trashed a lot less. They have 10,000lbs towing capacity right, I am sure I can pull a skidsteer with it! :p

depending how heavy of a trailer you got and size of bobcat. my f150 is rated for 11500 towing cap. but that only acheivable with pretty much a baby drivin i think as the gvwr is only 17100. but i can legally tow our friends bobcat. he said with the trailer he weighs 10400. only issue for ya with the 1500 is you cant get a cummins. without major mods. of course.:d

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
depending how heavy of a trailer you got and size of bobcat. my f150 is rated for 11500 towing cap. but that only acheivable with pretty much a baby drivin i think as the gvwr is only 17100. but i can legally tow our friends bobcat. he said with the trailer he weighs 10400. only issue for ya with the 1500 is you cant get a cummins. without major mods. of course.:d

I wouldn't dream of putting it behind a 1500. It's my dads 20ft trailer that weights roughly 3500lbs and the skidsteer is a good 7500lbs. Plus attachments, etc it hits 12-13,000lbs no problem.

But if I buy a 1500 I will just borrow my dads truck when I need to pull it and leave him mine. Just would rather have a cummins again :(

But I think I found a truck, not perfect but the price reflects it. I guess getting sent home from work today because of the rain was a good thing :beer:

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
good luck. only reason we went with the 150 over the 250 is price. for the same price 38 000 we got a loaded to the nuts f150 lariet. i would have got a cranky window rubber floor mat 250 with a diesel. now which one will sell easier when i go to buy another new one? can you say crew truck not worth f all. and how often do you haul enough to require the 3/4 payload. and also the 09 f150 is rated to tow 11500 and my 97 3/4 was only rated to tow 9600.
and gotta say the 1/2 ton tows way nicer than my old 3/4 did.

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No doubt they are more money, but theres a reason diesels hold their value so well, I wouldn't want one bare though. The extra cost of the diesels holds so well for resale. For the most part 2 equal trucks, a diesel is like $6,000-$10,000 more.

It doesn't happen often right now, but once I start building my house it will be like weekly. And the thing is, even towing like 8k all the time will kill a half ton and I don't want to do that. And the nice thing about the heavier truck, you can put stuff in the box, like if it's 4,000lbs you can just throw it in the box instead of bothering with a trailer.

If a really good deal came around I would but otherwise really want 2500/3500. Plus I hate IFS with a passion. I would have no issue with a 2500/3500 gas.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i remember wasting a day going to look at a MINT condition ram for my cousin out of town. she assured me it was MINT.

when i arrived. the truck box was full of dirt, there was a large dent down the left side over a foot long. all the seats were covered in dog hair/garbage/coffee. and it was white but hadnt been washed in months.

far from mint....

and if your going to sell something clean it.

Throttle*Queen

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just spent over a month looking for a truck! I went to look at one and same thing, 2007 with 100000km on it 2" levelling kit and fully loaded. It was a special edition. Went to go look at the truck and it had 120000km on it and was black, but he never had mudflaps or running boards on it and the back half of the box was all rock chips!

JoHNI_T

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
FYI

the trucks are not over priced if they are in good condition,,, problem is there is not enough for sale,, all the big wheels are not spending 90K on new trucks and dumping 2 years later,, money is tight everywhere so peeps are saving money and buying used wich is driving the prices up,,, I could buy a 2006 truck for less money 2 years ago,,,if it was 20G 2 years ago wholesale its prob $24 or 25G today.... unfortuneatly used trucks did some appreciating as crazy as that sounds.... and to add to that problem there was a lot less new trucks sold the last 2 years so less coming available on the used market and to make it one step even tuffer GMAC and Chrysler financial almost have zero lease returns left wich means no one can purchase their lease returns and thats were all the dealers get their inventory,,, the used vehicle game is in for a bit of a change over the next year... I think every dealer in AB right now would take 20 vehicles each if they were priced fair and in good condition,, I know I need 30 NOW....

supply and demand...its a biotch some times lol

happy shopping

KawisakiRider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The states has a way bigger inventory..... just saying.:d

I bought mine there, got a third party to inspect before purchase. Had for two years now 0 problems, cheap, cheap, cheap.

fat tire

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well depending on shape it's probably worth $19-21k. But the most I want to spend on a truck is $15,500.

03-05 had minor changes to the motor but nothing huge. And 06 had the exact same motor.
Well That sounds fair......... but I think i'll keep the old girl......she ain't eatin no bread and has been a better truck than the new ford.......best backup a guy could have is something that works.

Top Bottom