What is an adapter on a Can Am for?

kbrunlees

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
:confused:When I added the skid plates on my 07 Can Am 800 Max xt, I saw the front vent line for my clutch and belt box and the rubber tube is good. However there is a another one on the back side hooked up to an Outlet assembly. Is this a vent of some sorts? Wouldn't water get in there especially with a cracked boot?

Sweigh

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Campingnut is correct, that is the vent. And it's a common issue to take on water unless you snorkel your machine. I ran my exhaust along the shifter bar up to the front of my machine.

jncmcat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
2" nothing smaller. Check out BRPs snorkle set up or snorkleyouratv.com if you want to snorkle your machine

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Save the hassle and just buy the parts that come on the 2011 XMR. No fuss, no fitting....bolts right on and relocates the CVT exhaust up under the pod.

707000870 Lower Air Outlet $15.99USD
707000789 Adaptor $6.99USD (2 of them)
205002544 Socket Head Screw M10 X 25 $1.17USD
707000900 Upper Air Outlet $11.99USD
Foil Heat Tape $9.00USD

This is a MUST do fix. I already had snorkels, but these parts fit so much nicer that I added them. I only bought the lower air outlet and foil heat tape....the rest I just adapted to my existing snorkel set-up.

Last edited:

kbrunlees

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Where do you get your parts Dave I see that you quoted USD prices. Better to go south(I bought my skid plate form Utah save a 100 bucks) I like the fit of those pieces. When I had the whole shroud off I discovered the air filter is way up top do you still need to snorkle the air box. I run in mud but try not to "that" deep:d. Thanks

campingnut

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I did exactly what Dave did but went one step further and got the XMR pod and upper exhaust tube to match, Dave has his outside the pod. I would also look at doing your CV intake and engine intake along with all the vent lines. You can find all the parts on the Can Am website and Canadian prices as long as you use the Canadian site (the part #'s are the same). If you are going to make your own I would not go any smaller then 2" for all 3. If you want more info just ask.

higher n you

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
can i get these parts from the local dealer or where's best.

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Where do you get your parts Dave I see that you quoted USD prices. Better to go south(I bought my skid plate form Utah save a 100 bucks) I like the fit of those pieces. When I had the whole shroud off I discovered the air filter is way up top do you still need to snorkle the air box. I run in mud but try not to "that" deep:d. Thanks
If you're not going to "over-do" it....just doing the CVT exhaust will be fine. It's good to know where your snorks are...makes better decisions. I ordered my stuff locally...just found a post on another site where one of the boys had listed all the numbers....saved me typing it again. LOL

can i get these parts from the local dealer or where's best.
Local BRP dealer.

Sweigh

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I sealed off the air box and cut a couple holes in the lid and covered them with Frog Skinz. Probably overkill but now I know exactly where the limit is in my machine.

That kit for the XMR looks pretty much identical to mine. I used marine exhaust hose with a wire lining so i could shape it as needed and it would hold the shape.

My entire snorkel, including the PVC piping, hose, camps, Frog Skinz, silicone and heat tape cost just over 100 bucks. With that, I have a stealth snorkel for the CVT intake and exhaust as well as the airbox mod.

kbrunlees

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So I went to Martins Motorsports and I picked up the XMR kit for 310 bucks. It includes the Airbox, filter, the pipes and the tubes for all the various vents that are needed. I will try to take pics on the install. Thanks Dave.

shmole

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Please do....look forward to seeing the install. Sounds like a worthwhile mod!!!:)

kbrunlees

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Started it last night then Hockey got in the way! Toughest part is getting the lid of the airbox off. No wonder the previous owner never changed it. Lots of stuff to get at though. The good thing is I should know where everythings is now. Man they stuff a lot of mechanicals under that plastic!

kbrunlees

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Here is some pics on the modification. I did discover that some differences between the 2007 and 2011 models. The intake pipe on the CVT is too short on the 07 going to check to see if I can get that part otherwise I may have to fab something. For the most part the directions are fairly strainght forward. I did learn that if you want to get the lid off the airbox easily take the shifter bracket off. Tried putting on the plastic cover pieces and I really didn't they would fit but it is slick! Nice job on the fit.:beer:

Attachments

• DSCF6295.jpg
    DSCF6295.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 137
  • DSCF6296.jpg
    DSCF6296.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 139
  • DSCF6297.jpg
    DSCF6297.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 131
  • DSCF6298.jpg
    DSCF6298.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 141
  • DSCF6299.jpg
    DSCF6299.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 140
  • DSCF6300.jpg
    DSCF6300.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 126
  • DSCF6302.jpg
    DSCF6302.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 128
  • DSCF6303.jpg
    DSCF6303.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 126

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Good job dude. You....um....got the old airbox a little full there at one time or another eh?

jncmcat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
One thing that you should change with that set up is the crankcase breather tube, pull it from the new airbox lid and plug the hole and put a k&n filter on that tube. If you go upside down in deep water this will prevent water from entering the crank, trust me I know from experience. Add that filter and you won't have a issue. Once you fill the crank with water if your lucky it will only cost you about 10 or so oil changes. Next step for you is the rad relocate.

kbrunlees

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Are you referring to the 1/2" tube on the back of the airbox. I thought that was a blowby tube or am I missing something? Yeah looking at the rad relocate kit 300 bucks I may see if I can fab something. Dave what did you do about the CVT Intake tube? As you can see from the last picture it bends down, I was thinking of cutting it off and see if I can join another piece of radiator hose on. As for drowning it might of had a little mud in it, most of that was dust and I try not to run in too dusty an area. I think that was an original filter!

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Are you referring to the 1/2" tube on the back of the airbox. I thought that was a blowby tube or am I missing something? Yeah looking at the rad relocate kit 300 bucks I may see if I can fab something. Dave what did you do about the CVT Intake tube? As you can see from the last picture it bends down, I was thinking of cutting it off and see if I can join another piece of radiator hose on. As for drowning it might of had a little mud in it, most of that was dust and I try not to run in too dusty an area. I think that was an original filter!

I only used the XMR exhaust lower piece....mine are snorkeled through the pod.

The crankcase breather is what you think it is. Some people have sucked water into the engine if you TOTALLY drown the machine and the airbox fills with water. I have mine how you do....I don't enter bodies of water at mach 90 and hope I don't get too deep....I go in slow, if it gets up towards the snorkels....I back out. It's waaay better the way we have it now. Before, if the airbox got an inch of water in it, it would run into the breather....it can't now.

Last edited:
Top Bottom