What helmut to buy??

H2O

Reaction score
I am looking at upgrading my helmut.
I would like some suggestions on a good quality, lighter weight helmut please. (not excessively priced)
This will be used for mountian sledding only.
I live in BC and would like to purchase it in Canada.
Thanks

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How much are you willing to spend? Arai makes great lids ($700) light and comfortable.

Bell Moto - 8 or Fox V3 are also good helmets ($500)

HJC and CKX also make decent helmets but slightly heavier ($200)

If you want a light helmet you might want to consider a carbon fibre one, but they are usually around the $500 mark as well.

Best thing is to try some on at a local dirt bike shop or sled shop.

jbb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How much are you willing to spend? Arai makes great lids ($700) light and comfortable.

Bell Moto - 8 or Fox V3 are also good helmets ($500)

HJC and CKX also make decent helmets but slightly heavier ($200)

If you want a light helmet you might want to consider a carbon fibre one, but they are usually around the $500 mark as well.

Best thing is to try some on at a local dirt bike shop or sled shop.

carbon fiber are nice. if you can afford it. the old hjc were a not bad helmet, but the newers with the snap in liners piss me off.

goodngrubby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would say buy the one that feels the best. It's probably a good time to replace the goggles as well, so try the goggles with the helmet at the same time to ensure a good fit.

mtnluvr

Reaction score
Love my Klim, the interchangeable liners for cold and warm are the answer for winter and spring conditions and the fit is easy to customize. Only complaint is my oakley goggles are a tight fit in it.

glengine

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I personally use a shoei and love it but they are somewhat pricey. At the shop i have one black/silver klim 10th anniversary large helmet left in stock that i am blowing out. PM or call me for pricing.

woody_tobius_jr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I use the HJC Carbon Fibre, it was just under 5 bills. Very comfortable, light and warm. Personally, I think it was worth the few extra bucks.
:thumbsup2:

steel town

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a Troy Lee Designs Se3, its really light(carbon) and killer fit for a chinese lid. It's a step down from a Japanese helmet (Shoei, or Arai) but not bad. Check around Calgary at the bigger bike shops for some closeout deals, our Bow Cycle North location location has great deals on lids...
http://www.bowcycle.com/bm10/pa-specials.html?start=5
Remember to try on bunch helmets before you buy it as all brands fit differently, and fit different shapes of heads, do not buy on price.....If you have a $ 100 head, then buy a $ 100 helmet, my head is worth more than that to me and my family. I have a long skinny head and a Shoei fits me the best. I wear Shoei exclusivley for motocross and would not wear anything else as I've had a few minor head injuries and cant wack my noodle anymore or my riding days are over. Top motocross racers ( Travis Pastrana for example)will pay for an Arai or Shoei rather than get paid to use or get a free shitty Koreran clone helmet as the quality of them is garbage and fit is terrible compaired a the Hand made Japanese helmets, especially after the liner packs out. Go by a bigger bike shop and try a bunch on, and you'll see what I'm talking about...
just my 2 cents.
I worked in the helmet department at Blackfoot for 2 years btw.....

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Most of the helmets people mentioned are the MX style (motocross open face area) first you need to determine what type of helmet you want.

If you wanted a full faced with a shield, most of these recommendations won't fit the bill. Many people ride with the MX style now. I mostly did because at the time it was easier to own one helmet which I could use for sledding/quading/dirtbiking.

I have since upgraded to a new helmet just for sledding and keep my older one for dirt biking.

Here is a copy of a post I placed in another forum...

Personally I don't like saying one helmet is better than another for people.

Helmets are all created differently, and they all fit differently. To say a Klim helmet is a great helmet is like saying a Troy Lee Designs, HJC or Shoei helmet would be great for you as well.

I could never order a helmet without putting it on first. Helmets are designed to fit very tightly on your head and each brand has different sizing. So if you were considering that, I would atleast find one to try on.

I own Fox, HJC and Shoei Helmets. I really think the TLD Helmets look cool, but they are not comfortable to me. They are more a round skull style, and the others I own are more a oval head (which most people are). Stay away from Helmets with cheap plastic shells.

My new sledding helmet I just picked up is a Shoei VFX-W and it has to be one of the best fitting Helmets I have ever tried on. It wasn't cheep but I got a smoken deal on it.

and Steeltowns link does have some great deals on there. Hence where I got the deal on my Shoei.

H2O

Reaction score
Thanks to all the responses, A lot of good suggestions. I prefer the MX style helmet (sorry for the misspelling of helmet)
I will probably buck up for a lighter carbon fiber helmet.
Yes I will be trying them on before I purchase.
I presently own a HJC and I am happy with it I just want to use it for quadding from now on and would like a new light weight helmet for sledding.

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Each time I read helmut I just imagined a german saying it :d

Lighter usually, not always, but usually means its a plastic shell. Not always a bad thing, but not as strong as the fibre/composite blends.

RaspberryNytro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
where about in BC are you? I have a cpl different TLD lids that i wont need this year. One is the MX and the other is the lighter downhill bike one. fit great for me and are super light. PM for more info

Murray

Top Bottom