What happened possibly????

mighty1000

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just want to get some ideas form others if you have ever seen a piston do this and why.
Thanks
Piston is out of a 98 arctic cat cougar 550 liquid cooled carbed, mag side. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1390093762.225255.jpg

Joholio

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Lean. Maybe a pice of trash in main jet or something if its jetted right for the elevation. Years ago I took my old 600RMK which was jetted for 4-5000' to Saskabush... Went like hell til I melted her down!

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It does look too lean, but why would it look like it was knocked out from the underside of the piston?

Is the underside of the crown purple?

Warhawk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Rule of thumb.

If it goes like it never gone before GET OFF THE GAS.
Or
If you ever say to yourself when riding " MAN THIS THING IS F#*KING WORKING AWSOME" get off the gas

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It does look too lean, but why would it look like it was knocked out from the underside of the piston?

Is the underside of the crown purple?

It was melted out from the top. Lean or wrong heat range plug.

DRD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
"Detonation always precedes pre-ignition and the causes for this abnormal combustion are the same as those for detonation."

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
"Detonation always precedes pre-ignition and the causes for this abnormal combustion are the same as those for detonation."

Kinda flies right in the face of the first link you posted huh? How can detonation precede pre-ignition when it happens AFTER the spark? Even the experts can't agree!

Sparky's

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Could be running to hot of plug as well. Melted down my dirt bike a few times to learn that

DRD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Kinda flies right in the face of the first link you posted huh? How can detonation precede pre-ignition when it happens AFTER the spark? Even the experts can't agree!

Not really, if you think about it. The timing of the events during the "cycle" are different than the path it took to destroy the piston. If I had mild deto, not enough to stick a piston, but enough to oveheat something in the cylinder and cause pre-ignition what came first? The deto is after the spark starts the burn but could be the cause of pre-ignition by creating the condition or trigger (hot spot).

Last edited:

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not really, if you think about it. The timing of the events during the "cycle" are different than the path it took to destroy the piston. If I had mild deto, not enough to stick a piston, but enough to oveheat something in the cylinder and cause pre-ignition what came first? The deto is after the spark starts the burn but could be the cause of detonation by creating the condition (hot spot).

Hmmmmmm. Makes sense. :hmm: Need to see the side of that piston to look for signs of det.

Top Bottom