Wet ignition causes kingquad to stall

-Ed-

Reaction score
I am having a problem with the quad stalling when it is wet. From what I can tell so far the spark is grounding out when there is moisture at the coil or plug. I am wondering if this is a common failure and if there is a common fix. I am going to try and use die-electric grease on the crank pos. sensor and on the spark plug inside the boot, but I don't see any way of using it on the coil. Any ideas?
When I washed the quad after the weekend, it stopped running properly, and stalled a lot. After it dried up it ran fine. I washed off the engine and it started running poorly and stalling. When I tried to start it I could feel the ignitioin zapping me lightly. I know the easy fix is to stop washing the quad <LOL>, but I am looking for a better soultion. Thanks

LeoClark

Reaction score
if you have a copperhead it may be the problem, mine was not working properly and it would die after getting wet.

might be different but check your ecm just incase that is the case

-Ed-

Reaction score
I have the copperhead, but it was not wet the second time I had problems.
I've silicones the secondary wiring on the ignition tonight, and will try wetting the unit tomorrow to see if thats done the trick. I doubt that it will be the cure though, as there was no indications of moisture/dirt at any connection points or under any sealing boots. I also changed the plug and am charging the battery as it got low. So tomorrows test should be a good indicator of where the problem is. Wish me luck and keep the tips/hints/ideas coming.
Thanks

LeoClark

Reaction score
when you test if it stall maybe try to plug in your factory chip to see if it will fire right up. it could be the simplest thing to try first. i could be wrong though

-Ed-

Reaction score
when you test if it stall maybe try to plug in your factory chip to see if it will fire right up. it could be the simplest thing to try first. i could be wrong though

So far so good, with everything dry, battery charged, I wet down the ignition coil and wire and most of the harness under the front, no problems showed up.
My guess at this point is the one of two things is happening.
1> I cured the problem by sealing up the ignition....doubt it, but no harm in doing it
2> The copperhead may have got wet and caused this crap to happen. So, I will carry the factory ignition CDI with me on the next few trips, and if it acts up I will be able to swap and test on the spot.

I will update this post if anything changes, or to confirm the wet copperhead theory.

Thanks guys for your help.

Top Bottom