Welding

barleyfarmer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not sure what was meant by the 'farmer way' either but not here to fight!Back in high school my teacher was an old boy who had his welding and heavy duty mechanic tickets and was an awesome teacher!We only had about 12 guys in the class and had the class for 3/4 of the day for a whole siemester and just had our other classes for the other one.It was a good program that was worth one year off of the time for getting your ticket for either welding or heavy duty mechanic!The old boy got fired 2 years later because he grabbed one of the little pricks in his class and told him to get out!The program went to sh.. after that!The last teacher they had was drunk that didn't even have a ticket and the class proved how shi..y he was!I'll teach my boy stick first and let him weld up corral panels or something to practice on!Thanks for all the input on the topic !:beer:

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Bringing this thread back up as I am looking for info that was said on mig welders awhile back. I don't remember if I read this posting about the high school teachers but my experience was different then most. I took two years welding in high school and my teacher knew his ch!t. Back then I could stick and braze with the best of them because of this teacher. Might be a different story now as I am out of practice and the teachers now might suck. Al depends on who you get. Throughout Nait I had some awesome instructors and some not so good. But I don't blame all institutes for having a bad instructor.

SlowKrawl

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It is a common misconception that MIG is "easy". It is "easy" to gob some shmagma onto a plate, sure. But to actually set up a welder to flow in nice and not have cold lap is more difficult than stick. I don't think I have ever actually witnessed a cold-lapped stick weld lol.

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I call it easy just as I have to pull the trigger and go plus starting the weld. Still have to prep and get the set up right. I am an awesome welder about 50% of the time. The other 50% is ok, mostly caused by prep or laziness lol. Which I guess is the same thing.

rmk 800 144

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you can teach gas and stick
Once you know gas (oxy gas) welding an stick your golden.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sparky67

Reaction score
Not sure what was meant by the 'farmer way' either but not here to fight!Back in high school my teacher was an old boy who had his welding and heavy duty mechanic tickets and was an awesome teacher!We only had about 12 guys in the class and had the class for 3/4 of the day for a whole siemester and just had our other classes for the other one.It was a good program that was worth one year off of the time for getting your ticket for either welding or heavy duty mechanic!The old boy got fired 2 years later because he grabbed one of the little pricks in his class and told him to get out!The program went to sh.. after that!The last teacher they had was drunk that didn't even have a ticket and the class proved how shi..y he was!I'll teach my boy stick first and let him weld up corral panels or something to practice on!Thanks for all the input on the topic !:beer:
Best to teach that young fella to weld with stick first as you said and having a good teacher/instructor makes a big difference FYI the welding trade is very hard on the body and health This is coming from a guy that's been a WELDER for over 20 YEARS

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Best to teach that young fella to weld with stick first as you said and having a good teacher/instructor makes a big difference FYI the welding trade is very hard on the body and health This is coming from a guy that's been a WELDER for over 20 YEARS
And probably feels like 40 years right? That is the direction I didn't go that route. Being a Heavy-duty Mechanic is much easier on the body LMAO.

Top Bottom