Voided insurance on supercharged and turboed sleds

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
TABNEIL mentioned on the yamaha thread that if you turbo or supercharge you sled your insurance is voided, TABNEIL can you explain what happened in you case? and did anyone else have this problem It kind of sucks to drop +$25000 on a sled, and you can't insure it!!

Washy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I got insurance through Wawanesa, here in Whitecourt (Whitecourt Insurance). Insured it with them. It was disclosed to them that there is a turbo on it. Insured for 20,000. Have a buddy with a apex turbo insured at Co-operators insurance here in Whitecourt. He hit a rock and had full collision, Insurance paid 8000 dollars to fix the sled. So no your insurance is NOT voided. They insured it knowing it had a turbo. It was disclosed to them before they insured it , they called Wawanesa, they were OK with it and they wrote the policy.

The credantials they ask were does the sled go faster. No it does not go faster, same gearing, it just gets there faster. Is the sled being raced. No it is not being raced, it is for recreational sport. If you actually race the sled you will not get insurance.

If you have NOS that is a different story, if you tell the insurance company it is installed.

My wife is an insurance broker.

kgr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
my turbo is insured no problem, 480.00$/yr. no collison.

Washy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Are you saying I'm not insured? My nos does not make me any faster just quicker too. I acually geared my sled down...I should get a rebate :)

I had to jump through a few hoops, had to get Carl to sign saying that a Yamaha Mechanic installed it and that it was safe to drive. A few other things.

Talked to the Wife and she says that there is a few "Fringe" companies that will ensured a sled with NOS but you will pay through the teeth for it and there are alot of hoops to jump through. None of the GOOD companies that they deal with will insure them. AKA Wawanesa Most people just dont tell them that they have it.

They will insure anything for a price.

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
Yup, We've Gone Through This Already In An Old Thread About Any Modifications To Sleds/quads/bikes.... My Wife Too Is In Insurance, And She Harps On Me Whenever I Say I'm Gonna Put Pipes On.... She Says It Will Go Faster, But I Keep Telling Here It Can't Go Any Faster, Just Gets There Quicker.... Lots Of Insurance Companies Won't Insure Sleds That Have Even Minor Mods... Worth Checking With Your Insurance Company About The Coverage On Your Sleds!!!! Good Luck Out There~;)

glengine

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
that is retarded. It shouldnt matter what you do to your sled.. Does it matter what you do to your truck??

KUPS

Reaction score
Does it really matter with NOS? Your sled is worth what it is worth to the insurance company. NOS is a $1200.00 add on if you do it yourself so why tell them about it. All you'll lose is $1200.00 if you have to claim.

Now, a turbo or supercharger, a lot bigger dollars, might want to have that disclosed to the writter.

I wouldn't, and haven't told my company that i have NOS, why go through the hassel.

TABSTER

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have been looking into putting a turbo on my sled. I consulted with my brokerage on this installation and was informed that I would have no coverage because I have altered the sled from its original manufactured product to increase speed and horsepower. This specific brokerage that I now no longer deal with because I was being mislead. When you install a turbo or supercharger, you need to change the gearing as well, thus the machine goes faster, the whole purpose of this is to increase the response and your track speed. There are some insurance brokers that will cover turbo sleds, you need to search for them. If you have modified you need to tell them also so your policy is not void, they should be more than happy to change your coverage, afterall it is more money for them.

This was my bad, I took advice from a person that is in the insurance business and seems he has no clue as to what he was talking about, In return I end up looking ........like donkey
My Bad!:nono:

Top Bottom