valmont rcmp doing trailer inspection

mt.sledder

Reaction score
Seems like the local rcmp are spending extra effort stopping vehicles hauling toys in particular. Over length on decks are a target right now also. How about unsafe old bombs driving our roads with bald tires & do the brakes work on them, we don't know because they get to drive right past the check point? Regular maintainance is a good thing & as with everything should maintained as required.

What is the deal with overlength on decks? Not pissed or anything just courious on the law there......

papajake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
they should be pulling the holiday trailers off the road that are being pulled by too small of vehicles seen a ford explorer pulling a 26' or the people who think just because they have a 3/4 ton truck they don't need equalizer bars on the hitch

RMK Junky

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
What needs to be done is run the private sector the same as commercial. CVIP done once a year and get your little sticker for the unit. Too many points from violations on your profile and your vehilce registration is suspened until points decrease. It will also inflict on your insurance due to the fact that you are unsafe on the road. The private sector is to slack as we can see from all the violations that are taking place. The RCMP and provincial DOT are there for many levels of safety. Be thankful someone is watching out for you :beer: :d

Taz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think it would be best that all trailers would have brakes for sure the other biggest mistake people make is not cleaning and repacking there wheel bearings often enough I ran a large truck repair and trailer axle manufacturing shop and after just about every weekend especially long weekends in the summer Monday morning there would be a trailer in front of the shop with bearings welded to the axle and a hub missing, many people had no idea where the hub and wheel were when they were double & triple axles. When I had a boat trailer I did them every spring on the four place we inspected them every fall on my two place I built I installed hydraulic surge brakes and repacked every two years, worked great. Lack of maintenance is a great way to rune a trip an ounce of prevention is the best way to avoid the hassle and cost.:beer::beer:

Riverjet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
they should be pulling the holiday trailers off the road that are being pulled by too small of vehicles seen a ford explorer pulling a 26' or the people who think just because they have a 3/4 ton truck they don't need equalizer bars on the hitch

I'm not positive but I'm pretty sure equalizers are not a mandatory thing.

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca

i have a friend who had a 27ft holiday trailer pulled behind an explorer........ Everything ended up on it's side on the qe2 near red deer, and their clothes and belongings were everywhere. Trailer was a writeoff and no insurance coverage on the trailer, but the vehicle was covered.........

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

All depends on the size of trailer vs truck if you need equalizer bars. I have a 25' 5th wheel weight 5500lbs or so, behind a 1 ton equalizer bars are a waste of money, however if I was pulling with a 1/2 ton or it was a 40' trailer it would have equalizer bars. I do agree that ALL vehicles over 4500kg should have to weight in, it would keep a lot of those overloaded vehicles off the road. Not a big deal for ANYONE to scale in. I scale my 1 ton in plenty of times for sledding with my deck just to know what I weight.

As far as CVIP for everyone. F*ck that. CVIP is a freaking joke, it's nothing more then a money grab. Every shop decides what they want to check and look for, and not a chance in hell i'm letting some shop I don't trust looking at my truck. They seem to be trying to improve it, but still NOT a good idea. They had it here before it is stupid. Much easier for dot to just start and look at ALL vehicles and if they think it's unsafe pull them over and look over it. Plus looking at a tractor that puts on 300,000km a year vs cars putting on what 20,000km? Big difference in the chances of being unsafe. Not to mention, a unsafe tractor is 1000x worse then a passenger vehicle.

Mike270412

Golden Boy
Reaction score
What needs to be done is run the private sector the same as commercial. CVIP done once a year and get your little sticker for the unit. Too many points from violations on your profile and your vehilce registration is suspened until points decrease. It will also inflict on your insurance due to the fact that you are unsafe on the road. The private sector is to slack as we can see from all the violations that are taking place. The RCMP and provincial DOT are there for many levels of safety. Be thankful someone is watching out for you :beer: :d

I agree 100% I've been driving commercial trucks for 20+ yrs and I've always said-one day a week the big trucks should be allowed to bypass the scales and all the private vehicles should get checked.

boydo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

as much as i have a like/dislike for the dot.....good point!!

boydo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
All depends on the size of trailer vs truck if you need equalizer bars. I have a 25' 5th wheel weight 5500lbs or so, behind a 1 ton equalizer bars are a waste of money, however if I was pulling with a 1/2 ton or it was a 40' trailer it would have equalizer bars. I do agree that ALL vehicles over 4500kg should have to weight in, it would keep a lot of those overloaded vehicles off the road. Not a big deal for ANYONE to scale in. I scale my 1 ton in plenty of times for sledding with my deck just to know what I weight.

As far as CVIP for everyone. F*ck that. CVIP is a freaking joke, it's nothing more then a money grab. Every shop decides what they want to check and look for, and not a chance in hell i'm letting some shop I don't trust looking at my truck. They seem to be trying to improve it, but still NOT a good idea. They had it here before it is stupid. Much easier for dot to just start and look at ALL vehicles and if they think it's unsafe pull them over and look over it. Plus looking at a tractor that puts on 300,000km a year vs cars putting on what 20,000km? Big difference in the chances of being unsafe. Not to mention, a unsafe tractor is 1000x worse then a passenger vehicle.

i agree and disagree with you, say a brand new truck inspected and in 100% perfect shape going down a 4 lane highway beside a car and it blows a tire, hits the truck blows its front tire and goes accross 4 lanes of traffic? whos at fault? not tryin to start a feud but cars cause bad accidents too!

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i agree and disagree with you, say a brand new truck inspected and in 100% perfect shape going down a 4 lane highway beside a car and it blows a tire, hits the truck blows its front tire and goes accross 4 lanes of traffic? whos at fault? not tryin to start a feud but cars cause bad accidents too!

Yea anything can happen the odd time. But a freak blowout can happen anytime and there is no way to know when/if it will happen. My thing is, if a tractor has brakes not working properly, that's a lot bigger concern then a car, or if it has a bad u-joint, things like that blowing up are so much worse then small vehicles. Not to mention, if a tractor trailer goes into the ditch on the highway at full speed chances are anyone inside are dead, so things like steering are so much more important. Not to mention the massive miles put on many, look at how many tractors are only a few years old with a million km on them. Was told straight out on CVIP inspection once you go to the same place for a few years they look at it based how many km put on the truck in a average, if it's a lot they won't let things go on that truck. But on a truck that only puts on 10,000km they would let more go because it would be fine.

There does need to be something to make sure all vehicles on the road are in good operating shape, but a yearly inspection on passenger vehicles is overkill IMO. Or just say inspection when a vehicle hits a certain age or km, or every few years or something. But yearly would just make all the shops rich and not much else good.....

scotts

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think that most commercial heavy trucks on the road are a hell of a lot safer that most of the recreational truck/trailer combos on the roads.Our trucks are inspected everyday,backed up by an endless papertrail and a dedicated,consistent maintence program. ITS AWSOME when one of our trucks sit at the scales for the fourth time in a day, while some dufus in a 60 foot rolling monstrosity pulling a hummer sails on by without a thought about brakes or log books.

my mod

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yea anything can happen the odd time. But a freak blowout can happen anytime and there is no way to know when/if it will happen. My thing is, if a tractor has brakes not working properly, that's a lot bigger concern then a car, or if it has a bad u-joint, things like that blowing up are so much worse then small vehicles. Not to mention, if a tractor trailer goes into the ditch on the highway at full speed chances are anyone inside are dead, so things like steering are so much more important. Not to mention the massive miles put on many, look at how many tractors are only a few years old with a million km on them. Was told straight out on CVIP inspection once you go to the same place for a few years they look at it based how many km put on the truck in a average, if it's a lot they won't let things go on that truck. But on a truck that only puts on 10,000km they would let more go because it would be fine.

There does need to be something to make sure all vehicles on the road are in good operating shape, but a yearly inspection on passenger vehicles is overkill IMO. Or just say inspection when a vehicle hits a certain age or km, or every few years or something. But yearly would just make all the shops rich and not much else good.....

I know we are a little off topic here but...
Getting hit with a ton of bricks or a ton of feathers does not matter, you are still being hit by a ton... bottom line
I do not agree that if a semi hits the ditch that the people inside will die. This is not true at all.
A small vehicle with 100,000 miles is just as worn out as a semi with 1,000,00 miles and there are a lot of rust buckets going down the highway that should not even be off the farm. Just go to an auction sale and look at some of the worn out commercial junk that can no longer be used commerially that is sold to the general public that ends up back on the road because the private owner has no regulations to follow.
Don't know if it is because there are more small vehicles than semi's but I think i hear of more accidents involving small vehicles that trucks. Maybe this is because semi's are regulated, or because semi drivers are considered professionals and are trainned at what they do.
I do not wish to have anything hit me or anyone I know, semi, small vehicle, bike or trailer, chances are there is going to be some major pain involved, and if peole can not keep their vehicles safe on the road and need a little guidance from RCMP or DOT, I have no issues with this expecially if it helps my family or friends make it home safe so I can see them again.

scotts

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
[QUOTE=my mod;
A small vehicle with 100,000 miles is just as worn out as a semi with 1,000,00 miles

I think its dependent on the head gear of the driver,but i think a lot of high mile passenger vehicals are in far worse condition than commercial trucks. at 1mil km heavy trucks have had numerous brake and steering componets replaced. whereas there are countless light cars and trucks with hundreds of thousands of kilometers that have never been touched.

Top Bottom