UTV or ATV ???? Can you guys help?

A4pdot

Reaction score
Hey guys, so pretty much first post and hope this is the right section so I don't get the :realmad:"wrong section idiot!" :rant: common reply's. Looking at getting an ATV, then people keep telling me UTV. I just want to get something to pass the time between putting the sled away and breaking out the boat. :d So for the most part I will be riding in the Whistler area, going to scope out the sledding terrain in the summer and find some other spots to go for sledding next year. I like the idea of having your passenger next to you, carry stuff pretty easy, stereo system, can close it off when raining. However it you can't go as many places what's the point? So let's hear it... any thoughts....?

Brute Force Boy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I enjoy riding my RZR over my BF, will probably be selling it soon to get something the kids can use.
The RZR will go everywhere the BF did, its funner to drive and way better for passengers.
UTV all the way.

Snowdin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I totally concur with BF boy. My Rhino is the funnest bike I have ever owned. It will go pretty much anywhere the quads will and more in very comfy style and and haul tons of stuff. It won't go as fast as the quads but who needs fast when your out in the bush and mud.

grizzley1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
im a quad man, the utvs are good in some places but a quad will go anywhere,you get the utv stuck and there are a b&*ch to get out

rubirose

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
We have had quads now for over 5 years. 2 Christmas' ago, hubby bought a Rhino 700. Very comfy ride goes almost anywhere. But after 6 months went back to a quad. The kind of trails that we go on, in the bush, it can be a real pain because of the size. Had to have chainsaw with at all times. His only passenger was the dog, I ride my own quad so he was still riding alone. He likes the quad better.

wellluck

Reaction score
It's pretty much all been said. It depends on the type of riding you intend on doing. The UTV's will basically go anywhere and through anything a quad will. The biggest downfall is if you have get off the trail to sneak through the bush. There bigger size can cause problems here. The upside is you can haul passengers and they have the box for equipment. If I was to purchase an UTV I'd probably get thr RZR as it has loads of power and is closer to size of a quad.

Al

T-GUY1978

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I agree it totaly depends on the riding your doin. For the smaller less used back trails an atv is the way to go. but if your gunna be on wide open trails or hauling passenger lots a utv is the way to go.

Bruteskeg

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
well.... hmmmmm thats a tuff one. what one to get, for what i do a atv seems a little better I ride lots of muskeg and the UTV are verry heavy and seem to have a few more problems then the atvs goin through the skeg. Mud though is a little different story though the weight of the UTV really helps them to touch bottom and really honk on her throught the mud holes, wears a atv gets front end light and you do a water wheeley and gotta balance and be little easyer on the gas to keep them from goin over backwards.

catzuki

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just bought a Kawi Teryx and after owning a quad for 8 years, I have never had so much fun with mine. I really dont think i will go back to a quad as it so nice to have a passenger.

Brute Force Boy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I keep reading the argument that utv's are the better choice till you start riding in tight areas, to people that seem to be stuck on that, try a rzr.
I haven't had mine that long, I'll give you that but I haven't been left behind by my atv buddies yet and bush and skeg is all we have up north.

All I know is I can ride all day in the rzr and it doesn't tire me out, I can bring my coffee along, carry more stuff, bring a friend (doesn't seem so "friendly" if its a guy). I feel safer in it especially with the kids riding with me.

JayBec

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
depends where ya wanna go, an what your lookin for, myself i love my quad, tried out a utv it was a kool experience but prefer my baby, you can still have a stereo on a quad ( bungee cords & ratchet straps ), you can still have beer( passenger seat/box )...
Go buy whichever an go out and play already!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:beer:

A4pdot

Reaction score
THANKS!! for all the reply's. I guess I am going to have to go out and try both. Both seem to have their qualities. The fact that a UTV can carry a passenger beside you (girls only obviously) and have a stereo makes it all the better.

Sammydeluxe

Reaction score
The thing that has not been mentioned yet is that a UTV is a social machine. You can BS with your rider. You don't need to by two bikes! ;)

durion

Reaction score
I had the same delimma. QUAD OR UTV. I was actually sitting in a store with a check for two 2-up quads. Then someone said to me how much power, so I said the arctic cat 1000 and they said are you trying to kill your kids, so I tossed the idea up for ever, I didnt want to be caught dead in a golf cart, then I took one for a test drive and walked away with one two days later. They are fun but depends what type of riding you enjoy, if your a family man then go with a UTV. If you like going out on your own then QUAD. I put alot of money in upgrades to make my Rhino kid friendly. And the whole family loves it. JUST LET THE WIFE DRIVE ONCE AND AWHILE AND YOUR SET.
Good luck.

Top Bottom