Used auto loan rates?

hondalrd

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone. I am wondering what the interest rate is currently for a used truck? It will be in the 2016-2019 year range. My credit is very good high 800s. I don’t want to run a credit check just to get a idea of the rates available. I am selling my current truck which is paid off but would like to use that money and buy some stocks with a higher yield hopefully then the auto loan interest rates

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No idea what used interest rates are, but a line of credit might be your best best. 1/2 - 1% over prime depending on your bank, and way easier to pay out early...

This makes sense,,,

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My guess is you won't do any better than 5.5% on a used auto loan. If you intend to buy as new as 2019 I'd have a hard look at the numbers because it may in fact be cheaper overall to buy new, especially if you purchase from a dealer. Usually you won't get that great of a price on a 1 year old truck, so a small decrease on interest rate on a new truck could make it lower cost overall.

I'd also be very careful with your intent to invest in stocks, the average person is usually better off to pay down debt instead of trying to earn back the interest on the stock market. You could absolutely knock it out of the park and make a pile of money, but you could also loose it all and still be stuck with a truck loan.

Last edited:

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No idea what used interest rates are, but a line of credit might be your best best. 1/2 - 1% over prime depending on your bank, and way easier to pay out early...

This
Line of credit is best option . Did it years ago with Morgage for 12 months .
Wanted to defer total payout over a couple years of income due to tax’s .

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
My guess is you won't do any better than 5.5% on a used auto loan. If you intend to buy as new as 2019 I'd have a hard look at the numbers because it may in fact be cheaper overall to buy new, especially if you purchase from a dealer. Usually you won't get that great of a price on a 1 year old truck, so a small decrease on interest rate on a new truck could make it lower cost overall.

I'd also be very careful with your intent to invest in stocks, the average person is usually better off to pay down debt instead of trying to earn back the interest on the stock market. You could absolutely knock it out of the park and make a pile of money, but you could also loose it all and still be stuck with a truck loan.

When we bought the wife's Subaru Legacy this is what happened, it was actually $4000 cheaper for us to buy a new one than a 1 yr old with 15K km because we got 0.9% interest on the new but used was around 6%.

rgashkei

Reaction score
My daughter just bought her first truck, no real credit rating and she got 6.74% on a 6 year loan. Could have done a line of credit but because she is young she wants to build up her credit rating, line of credit will not do that. Plans on paying it off earlier.

Frosty19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Last time I had a used car loan I got 4.99 but that about 6 years ago.
I currently have a line of credit through RBC but the interest rate seems stupid high to me so dont use it for anything. Anyone mind sharing what kind of rates they have on their LOCs? Have been meaning to shop around for mine but haven't been wanting to buy anything requiring it lately

sc800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That would more than likely have to be a secured line of credit on your house. Unsecured line of credit is much higher.

Cat401

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
don't fool yourself people. When a car company is offering a low low rate on new, YOU are usually paying to buy down that rate. Most times there is a cash rebate in lieu of low rate.
Do the math. Figure the cost to finance if you take advantage of the lower priced vehicle vs giving up the rebate and taking the low rate.

gdhillon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Last time I had a used car loan I got 4.99 but that about 6 years ago.
I currently have a line of credit through RBC but the interest rate seems stupid high to me so dont use it for anything. Anyone mind sharing what kind of rates they have on their LOCs? Have been meaning to shop around for mine but haven't been wanting to buy anything requiring it lately

i too have a line of credit with rbc that’s stupid high. 6.9 for 30k, I have had to use it in the past but paid off that same month. I think I still got hit with the interest though?

I just went to driving force, I’m high 800s as well, on a 18 PSD for 53,500 they could only offer me 5.99 at best. I walked out lol

How would a guy go about inquiring at different Banks for better LOC rate? I have been finding some nice private sales recently

pete gads

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
HI. I JUST BOUGHT A 2017 GMC TRUCK AND A 2019 GMC TERRAIN, BOTH USED FROM DIFFERENT DEALERS. BOTH AT 4.9% for 60 MO. WAS GOING TO PUT 30,000 DOWN BUT DEALER SAID LESS PUT DOWN BETTER YOUR RATE. ENDED PUTTING 7000.00 DOWN. FOUR DIFFERENT DEALERS SAID THAT CAR/TRUCKS GOING UP 10-15% END OF JULY AS WILL BE A SHORTAGE FROM MANUFACTURE DUE TO COVID 19

kenvb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
these 0 % car loans are false , they make sure the profit is built in to the price ,you are better off with a low rate than 0 . have the finance person work it out.dont just go by the payment. majority of car buyers want a low payment which is not good. and used vehicles usually do not have warrenty,and if buying a diesal.warrenty is very important.

gdhillon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
these 0 % car loans are false , they make sure the profit is built in to the price ,you are better off with a low rate than 0 . have the finance person work it out.dont just go by the payment. majority of car buyers want a low payment which is not good. and used vehicles usually do not have warrenty,and if buying a diesal.warrenty is very important.

i agree with you there man. However, I also have xplan with ford from work. So I’m told I get cost +2%.

im thinking I could use the 0 in my favour, if they are in fact still offering that

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i agree with you there man. However, I also have xplan with ford from work. So I’m told I get cost +2%.

im thinking I could use the 0 in my favour, if they are in fact still offering that

Nope
Unless things have changed within the last couple years .
If buying through national account you can’t do both .

Top Bottom