Upgrading tire size... how big

summitx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Want to upgrade the tires on my base rzr from the stock 25's to 26 or 27's, most likely going to go with the maxxis bighorn 2.0.

Does anyone know how big I can go with the stock rims without going to a wheel spacer as well. I know there is a motor mount on the rear right side that gets in the way.

Thinking the maxxis bighorn 26 x 12x12 in the rear and 26 x 9 x 12 in the front if they'll fit

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You will need a rear spacer for a 12 inch tire....I would recomend a 28 inch to give you a little more clearance and possibly save you from buying a lift kit later...The 28 zillas work great with little power loss and a great all around tire. What kind of terrain do you ride..? The zilla`s will work in the rocks ok, however the BH2s don`t like mud...imo

summitx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ride just about everything. When the kidlets are on board it's mostly trails and pretty tame stuff, when it's just the guys,the more mud the better. I looked at a set of 28 zillas on 14" itp wheels but was told I'd meed a 2 inch lift for them to work. DOn't want to lift right now b/c of the cage for the kids.

Fallen

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ride just about everything. When the kidlets are on board it's mostly trails and pretty tame stuff, when it's just the guys,the more mud the better. I looked at a set of 28 zillas on 14" itp wheels but was told I'd meed a 2 inch lift for them to work. DOn't want to lift right now b/c of the cage for the kids.

I have a buddy with 2" wheel spacers and 27" tires and no lift. The front tires rub on the firewall when turning. 26'" tires are the biggest i would go without a lift.

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This a short version of the long answer...lol .Very soon you will need springs under it as the stock ones sag quickly, thus the rubbing problem....A set of highlifter springs will cure this, improve the ride and maintain your ground clearence and ability to run larger tires (28s). I know ,when does it end.
However with the extra cage/kids/ weight you wil need a lift or springs sooner rather than later so the springs would kill 2 birds so to speak......

Brute Force Boy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This a short version of the long answer...lol .Very soon you will need springs under it as the stock ones sag quickly, thus the rubbing problem....A set of highlifter springs will cure this, improve the ride and maintain your ground clearence and ability to run larger tires (28s). I know ,when does it end.
However with the extra cage/kids/ weight you wil need a lift or springs sooner rather than later so the springs would kill 2 birds so to speak......

X2 I have 30" zillas on mine with high lifter springs and can run them without a lift.
You should have no problem with 28" tires with either off set rims or spacers with no lift till your springs start getting soft.
Don't let the dealer try ti tell you that 26" will work on your stock rims cause they WILL rub, found that out the hard way.

summitx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks to all, I might like at getting the highlifters and kill those two birds, What can I expect a set to set me back

Fallen

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
so if my buddy put highlifter springs on his 09 rzr his 27" xtr's will stop rubbing?

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks to all, I might like at getting the highlifters and kill those two birds, What can I expect a set to set me back

Talk to Kevin @ rapid,not sure on the current price,however great bang for the buck and a must for your ride i would think.....

Fallen

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Talk to Kevin @ rapid,not sure on the current price,however great bang for the buck and a must for your ride i would think.....

I just ordered 2 sets of high lifter springs one for me and one for my buddy. 2 sets cost me $383. I think its $191 just for one set.:beer: The bad news is that the springs were on back order.

Top Bottom