Updated ECU`s M1000

mphfreak

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have the factory 2008 mapping, I didnt get the 2009 mapping like Cat wants us too. Whats the advantages / disadvantages to the 2009 mapping? I know i will have to re adjust me Boondocker if i get the new updated mapping. Sometimes there mapping also includes timing curves. I wonder if the 09 is more aggressive? or maybe de tuned? If someone knows the facts cn they help me out and otheres... Thanks, I have speedwerx pipe kit, B/D box, larger air intake.
Jason

rigrat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Good day. If your sled runs good i would leave it alone. The updates did not seem to hurt WOT performance but both my brother and my 08 M1000 (stock with can) sleds seemed to load up and run poorly at times. Dealer told me my warranty would be void without updates. Would not install the updates if i could do it over again.

ssjrmk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had the update done on my 08 1000. It does like rigrat said. I had i done at the end of the year so i have not rode it much. Although i did notice it loading up on the bottom to mid. I am now trying to lean it out with a y pipe and more air, So far seems alot better. I will need to run it more to make sure every thing is good.

sledneckx69

Reaction score
At certain elevations and rmp my 09 m1000 loads up and runs like crap. One of the mod shop guys told me that it was due to a fuel pump problem, too high fuel pressure. Adding a regulator or, like said before, adding parts the will increase air flow would help.

BDF#900

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
09s when you add some minor mods actually require you to pull fuel from stock map at low rpms (3000rpms), making you have to run a fuel controller to see benefits of mods.

Last edited:

rigrat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I guess if a person is going to mod the sled anyway, it probably doesn't matter if a person has the updates or not. As far as stock 08 M1000 sleds go i would not recommend the updates if the owner is happy with the performance of their sled. We have three 08 M1000s and the one without the updates runs the smoothest but as far as WOT performance, all 3 sleds are the same.

05765scott

Reaction score
DONT DO IT
that is my advice i have a 08 m1000 i went and did what arctic cat wanted and recived the updates. I found a really good deal on slp pipe kit for the sled along with a boondocker box I emailed slp just to make sure I had the newest boondocker numbers and was dissipointed. I was told that with the o8 updates the sled requires fine tune numbers and there is not a box out there with that fine of tuning yet. This was a month or so ago now and slp has released the power comander 5 box that they say will work but i didnt want to have to buy another box. the tech said still could run the pipe kit with those numbers but does not advise it. I wanted to buy a box that i could jsut plug and play not have to fine tune. So that is my rant for the day but before you book it in to get the updates I would say send slp tech a email and see if the information they gave me a month ago has changed. hope this helps

ssjrmk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have the 08 1000 with the update's and i have a slp pipe set with v-Force reeds and a boon docker box. I seem to have it running well with the boondocker box. i have not been to the mountains yet but so far it works.

xcrider

Reaction score
All sounds quite interesting.. as an aspiring owner of a new 09 M1000, I'm a little confused at whats going on.
i asked the dealer about this particular thing, after having read something like this elsewheres.He mentioned that the update would be required to not void the warranty.
How can something like this be the responsibility of the buyer? If AC knows theres problems then they should pick this one up.........not??
Or am I not getting the picture right on this? Frankly I do not know the first thing about the M1000 and am finding out a lot of things right here on this site. I found a killer deal on one and am considering it.
Wonder why none of the dealers on this site are not chimeing in to answer a few of these questions or giving some knowledgeable feedback?

rigrat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The updates were free on our sleds and they should be. Not an improvement on the way our sleds performed.

mphfreak

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
DONT DO IT
that is my advice i have a 08 m1000 i went and did what arctic cat wanted and recived the updates. I found a really good deal on slp pipe kit for the sled along with a boondocker box I emailed slp just to make sure I had the newest boondocker numbers and was dissipointed. I was told that with the o8 updates the sled requires fine tune numbers and there is not a box out there with that fine of tuning yet. This was a month or so ago now and slp has released the power comander 5 box that they say will work but i didnt want to have to buy another box. the tech said still could run the pipe kit with those numbers but does not advise it. I wanted to buy a box that i could jsut plug and play not have to fine tune. So that is my rant for the day but before you book it in to get the updates I would say send slp tech a email and see if the information they gave me a month ago has changed. hope this helps

Check with a guy with the name "Goat" on here. his numbers work great for 09 mapping.

ssjrmk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The reason that they do the update is that when they make the m1000 motor, alot of the fuel pumps have different fuel pressures(Because they were made at different places) This results in some sleds running great, some running to lean,etc. So to stop blown motors coming back on warranty because they ran to lean due to poor fuel pump's,They do the update to richen up where the lean spots are. This works fine for the sleds running lean but for the one's running well it makes them rich in certian area's. So if the sled runs great before the update don't change it.

girlluvshockey

Reaction score
Thank god, that makes sense, my 09 runs like a## at certian RPM's and cat keeps telling me there's nothing wrong with it. Does adding a fuel pressure regulator solve this problem?

ssjrmk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I believe so but i added a pipe set and then went with a boondocker fuel box to lean out and richen certain area's. I have had good success with the fuel box. Hope this help's.

bmhickey

Reaction score
I have an 08 m1000 with mods like a speed werx pipe system v force reeds a boondocker box and a rkt secondary if i let my sled idle for awhile then tramp on it it bogges or if on the trail and running at the same rpm for awhile then tramp on it and gets the same bog.was told not to wory about the updates because of perfornace parts.

05blazerboy

Reaction score
I'm having the same problem with my '07. If I'm sidehilling ditches out here at about 5000rpm for thirty seconds or so and let off then get back on it, it bogs down to an almost stall. Almost put me over the bars a few times! At WOT it seems to scream and run awesome. I think the previous owner had a fuel controller on it maybe, and took it when he sold the sled, there's a speedwerx pipeset, SLP airbox mod, V-force 3's, and brand new powervalve cables. I just picked up a digatron and have my boondocker box on order. I was told it should help by pulling fuel out of the mapping at around 3000rpm. Any other boxes won't pull fuel, only add fuel, with the exception of the power commander 5 I think. I'll post what happens with it. After i get everything hooked up and get a few test runs in.

Nadz

Reaction score
The reason that they do the update is that when they make the m1000 motor, alot of the fuel pumps have different fuel pressures(Because they were made at different places) This results in some sleds running great, some running to lean,etc. So to stop blown motors coming back on warranty because they ran to lean due to poor fuel pump's,They do the update to richen up where the lean spots are. This works fine for the sleds running lean but for the one's running well it makes them rich in certian area's. So if the sled runs great before the update don't change it.
I've got an 07 M1000. 1st year I had it... awesome power, great mountain riding. I had a problem with the motor mount out of the box, but thats old news. Oh! And good on fuel too! That spring I was forsed to hand in my ECU to get re-programmed and it's been a piese of ch!t since!!! Blew a motor, 1st ride with new programming. Because of this I didn't get my sled back (fixed) till mid February. I was pissed!! Cat wasn't going to cover it, cause I had a can on. Long story short... They replaced the motor. Since then, its had all the updates, including the latest... It still runs like crap. Runs, eh, ok, stock. But with a stinger it bogs and garggles. also burns a hell of alot of fuel and oil.
I was told that the latest update was the worst. As far as I know, all the dealers know this.

JMARTIN

Reaction score
I got mine updated and it just took more fuel away.I didn't play with my box .It just runs about 150 degrees hotter

g man

Reaction score
got recall reprogram done on my 2008 m 1000 snowpro !had bad loading on bottom end with mbrp can!told would fix it ! did but still will load up on real cold days ! the only real fix is a boon dock box or fuel regulator or put stock stuff back on ! ya right !! ? ! so like i was told from my dealer if your happy with it don;t do it !

WHATDAFOOK

Reaction score
OK...To all you guys out there having issue's with your M1000 that has a bog below 6200rpm...(about 300 rpm before the power valves open).. Get your dealer to send the ECU back to A/CAT and have it reflashed again. I have done it with 3 ecu's and i have three happy customers... And if you are running any kind of pipe..turn your idle screw in HALF a turn..IT keeps that bottom end from loading up...By the way..ditch the V-Force reeds and buy Boyesen Rage Cage reeds..It will keep you from replacing pedals evry 1000 miles..

Top Bottom