Twisted Turbo M1000 Issue

Slim

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ok im just posting this to see if anyone else has run into this problem. I have been getting a lot of opinions and its starting to just confuse me.

Whats happening is everything is running good until i reach full boost for more than 1-2 seconds it dies out and almost puts me over the handlebars. The engine doesnt stall, it just cuts out then comes back after a couple of seconds.

Here are some details:

Twisted turbo race gas kit
3076 Bigger turbo
Boost-it control box

Twisted turbo m1000 testing - YouTube (this is how its running. fine when i don't hit full boost for more than a second)

Boost: About 11# from what i gathered running C111 and Avgas mix 50/50

-Now i have had a couple different opinions on this, that this 50/50 mix isnt a high enough octane for 11# give or take, and that i should be running C111 straight. Ive also told the 50/50 mix should be fine. However, i was tickling detonation as my plugs came very loose on me even though my A/F ratio gauge was reading rich at 11.4 when 11.8-12.2 is recommended.

So then we figured perhaps fuel pressure. But i tested it last night after checking my pistons and rings to see no signs of damage luckily and that the fuel pressure was going up as required to as high as 50-52psi (+1 psi per # of boost) with 10-12# boost spiking. (no load so hard to be accurate but its coming up so crisis averted)

I have also been trying to turn down the boost with the boost controller but this thing is tricky and ive had two different opinions on how it works. Trying to turn it down to at least eliminate too high of boost for octane levels and go from there.

I have also been told perhaps its electrical. Neil and Shain that build these kits both figured it wasnt because it runs perfect until i hit peak power then shuts down. But anything is possible so im trying one thing at a time.

I talked to neil and i am going to try and give it some more fuel on the top end as well from 7200-9000rpm as a few other guys think it might be leaning out at full boost and thats why its tickling detonation.

ANY information or feedback would be much appreciated in this dilemma. I think im going to give linderman a call today to get one more opinion and then go do some more testing. Thanks in advance!

Just called Linderman, he figures leaning out on the top too, otherwise he is stumped as well.

Last edited:

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I dont think av gas and c 111 is more then 3 or so octane differance, and at 11 psi I dont think detonation would make it cut out like that. As it bogs or right before it bogs does your fuel pressure drop off? I think you could maybe be getting a second of deto as its going lean, if your fuel pressure is dropping off. Not sure on the cat 1000s, but do they run powervalves? Are they working properly? Would be nice to change down to 8 psi and try it there to eliminate deto as a factor as you said.

Last edited:

CrankShop910

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I know this sounds dumb, but have you tryed a new set of spark plugs, it sound like the spark is been blowin out when the boost comes on and plug gap. Run it a little tighter on turbo motors.

Slim

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I know this sounds dumb, but have you tryed a new set of spark plugs, it sound like the spark is been blowin out when the boost comes on and plug gap. Run it a little tighter on turbo motors.

Actually Neil mentioned this and he told me to gap them at 22 thou. They aren't very far off from that. 22 thou fits, and 24 thou doesnt. so 23 thou at the most i think.

fries78

Reaction score
had the same kind of problem with a boondoocker kit.Would cut out on full throttle.It was a problem with fuel under full boost not enought. Had a leak in a line going to my fuel reg on the pump. Found leak repair test. hold on .Sounds like a fuel problem for sure.Good luck

174mcx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have you seen your air fuel gauge showing both lean and rich mixtures lately? I've had them quit ranging more than a few decimal places.. I've also seen old plugs develope a high speed miss.

"I talked to neil and i am going to try and give it some more fuel on the top end as well from 7200-9000rpm as a few other guys think it might be leaning out at full boost and thats why its tickling detonation."
Do these engines really run 9G's?

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think maybe thats what the fuel controller box will go to, maybe?

Slim

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have you seen your air fuel gauge showing both lean and rich mixtures lately? I've had them quit ranging more than a few decimal places.. I've also seen old plugs develope a high speed miss.

"I talked to neil and i am going to try and give it some more fuel on the top end as well from 7200-9000rpm as a few other guys think it might be leaning out at full boost and thats why its tickling detonation."
Do these engines really run 9G's?

no it doesnt i was just going to set the fuel to cover that range. But we decided against it. The fuel system should be working fine the way it is with the updated version as it was working fine on daves sled.

im actually going to check the throttle shut down sensor thats right in the thumb mechanism. it might be sticking or something and killing it as its only when its to the bar. going to try that, then try another ECU if that doesnt do it. If its not the ECU after that ill try a different stator. If it isnt that, then its back to the beginning lol the plugs are brand new and all burning nice and brown. the A/F mixture from what i saw was running rich, i didnt see it lean out. i have to keep a real good eye on that my next run. thanks very much everyone for the replies.

Last edited:

CrankShop910

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Are you riding it on the snow or just on the stand??? I know the 1000 turbo cats like load, not much load on the stand..

powerclaw

Reaction score
no it doesnt i was just going to set the fuel to cover that range. But we decided against it. The fuel system should be working fine the way it is with the updated version as it was working fine on daves sled.

im actually going to check the throttle shut down sensor thats right in the thumb mechanism. it might be sticking or something and killing it as its only when its to the bar. going to try that, then try another ECU if that doesnt do it. If its not the ECU after that ill try a different stator. If it isnt that, then its back to the beginning lol the plugs are brand new and all burning nice and brown. the A/F mixture from what i saw was running rich, i didnt see it lean out. i have to keep a real good eye on that my next run. thanks very much everyone for the replies.
funny i was going to suggest looking at your switch also ,but nesessarely not working but maybe your pushing your throttle a little at an angle and if your bushings are wore out it will trigger it especially if you are full throttle

Slim

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Are you riding it on the snow or just on the stand??? I know the 1000 turbo cats like load, not much load on the stand..

tried the stand last night and figured it wouldnt be accurate, tried with load and made no difference. I spiked 15# this time and was hitting 10# at like half throttle. Just kind of figured out how the waste gate works and how the boost controller bypass line works. Shain figured this system should easily run 15# boost though so we gotta figure out if its fuel or electrical. Im going to see Neil next week with it. I dont wanna start putting things outta whack if its something stupid simple.

Kyle91rs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had issues with my old m1000 with the throttle sensor. Mine was happening throughout the whole throttle range tho, so to me it sounds like fuel on top end. I'm no expert tho lol.

reg28

Reaction score
I had a T-Apex that had that exact same problem. I know its a different sled but it ended up being the TPS. Throttle Positioning Sensor. Good luck

Slim

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had a T-Apex that had that exact same problem. I know its a different sled but it ended up being the TPS. Throttle Positioning Sensor. Good luck

awesome thanks a lot guys. I guess the detonating was from the ecu fuse shorting out which i didnt understand. but regardless it still doesnt run properly on the top end. Luckily a couple buddies have been extremely willing to help.

Neil and Shain have also been AWESOME!!! Calling me late, giving detailed info over the phone on what to look for and adjust. I heard a bad comment or two about Shain but i can definitely say that it must have been a misunderstanding. The guy has been going above and beyond, as well as Neil from Boost-it. Thanks everyone else for your input, its really helping me learn this system quickly.

Last edited:

Deano670

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Where are you taking your fuel pump supply power from?? High volume pumps draw to much amperage on the stock fuel pump plug in and need to be wired into the accessory plug located behind the top of the steering post. Have seen many turbo kits come through the door with this problem. When the pump runs out of available power the engine runs out of much needed fuel and it all happens on the top end where the load is the heaviest on the pump. Worth a look

Deano

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
And if you're running up to 15# boost be carefull with fuel. My son was running 16# on his TM1000 and couldn't keep it alive with anythinig less than straight C16.

slomo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
had somthing close to this and ended up being the ecu, no codes but was running in fail safe mode/over heat would run perfect and rev out at 3/4 throttle and as soon as i went further it would surge like a on and off the throttle, glen at spindrift seen my sled do this in the shop just pouring the fuel to itself the last 1/4 trottle and just act like a rev limiter, put a new ecu in problem gone

Slim

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So after all the headaches, it ended up that my installer didn't connect the power to the extra injectors, he connected them to a bloody ground wire. So everything would seem like its running good according to the gauges as boost, fuel pressure and air/fuel were working but not running boost long enough to pinpoint the A/F as it spiked so much. SO i was hitting 10# of boost with the stock injectors, it was leaning out and cutting out. Hope the engine is still good. Seems to be. Thanks so much to Dean at Mad Motorsports in Leduc. He squeezed me in and has TONS of experience. I was in and out in a few hours same day. Id also like to thank both Neil and Shain and give props to them as they constantly were more than willing to help texting me ideas for troubleshooting, even calling me and making sure these kits run. Thank you everyone else for your input.

Top Bottom