Triple pane windows???

800RMK

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
In the process of planning a new house and one of the many options is going to triple pane windows. Is it worth it? Or just go with dual pane?.....the cost is 12% more.

mountainman611

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I really believe in the window manufacturer itself. A good quality double pane window is all you need.Spend your money on good insulation in your walls like Roxal in your walls.

papajake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
we put double pane with argon gas and the south facing we went with the mirror finish to reflect the sun they keep the house cool in the summer check out all weather windows there service is great

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
I have used both and where I am now living it wasn't worth the extra cost. Saying that, how many square feet are we talking about regarding floor space and how many windows doo you have? When I used triple glazed, I was quite a bit north of Edmonton and it definitely made sense. Edmonton is cold, so to speak, and energy isn't getting any cheaper but it is your call. Mountainman611 is correct in that insulation is key and some people even clad the outside in rigid styrofoam. If you have the normal amount of windows, it is a pondering question. If you have windows covering the majority of the wall, it would make sense to go to triple glazing. This "prow wall" could benefit from triple glazed in the winter as could patio doors. The other windows aren't really a big deal IMHO. There are other ways to save energy and get a higher return.

100_0241.jpg

RETODD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.valemountvacationrental.com
We just built a new home...did all the research...the only thing triple pane has over double is low frequency sound insulation. Went with double and am very happy. There are a total of 46 of them...wanted to make sure...Doug at Gienow in Edmonton was awesome to deal with.

Crappy picture from BB:

IMG-20120611-02367.jpg

Last edited:

800RMK

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. ^^^ nice looking homes....I think I will just go with the dual pane windows instead of spending the extra $$$. The house is a 2200 sq ft bungalow so there isn't a crazy amount windows like an A frame house.

Uturn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Windows are your lowest insulation value in your building envelope. We have several large windows (72" x 72" and 72" x 60") in our new house. We went with triple pane, double lowE coated windows for their higher insulating value. 28 windows in total. 1700 sq ft walkout bungalow.

Check out Trans windows just off 97th St and 51st Ave. Way better price than the big guys(Saved 30% off the lowest Big window quote). Better hardware on the windows also.

A few pics of our build in this link:

https://www.snowandmud.com/forum/f76/post-pics-your-house-build-33368.html

plio7

GBCA Member
Reaction score
they teachers in trade school (of whom many are custom home builders or renovators on the side) will all tell you that triple aren't worth the extra cost. a double with a low-e coating and gas sealed is more than enough. you will never save the extra money on heating that you will pay for triple pained.

jm 0.02

Beels

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
In the process of building a new house and we're going dual pane as well. Builder told us he couldn't justify the added cost for very little advantage.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have used both and where I am now living it wasn't worth the extra cost. Saying that, how many square feet are we talking about regarding floor space and how many windows doo you have? When I used triple glazed, I was quite a bit north of Edmonton and it definitely made sense. Edmonton is cold, so to speak, and energy isn't getting any cheaper but it is your call. Mountainman611 is correct in that insulation is key and some people even clad the outside in rigid styrofoam. If you have the normal amount of windows, it is a pondering question. If you have windows covering the majority of the wall, it would make sense to go to triple glazing. This "prow wall" could benefit from triple glazed in the winter as could patio doors. The other windows aren't really a big deal IMHO. There are other ways to save energy and get a higher return.

View attachment 132108

just a fyi fernie yer driveway need's shoveling.

steveo10

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
my old man has sold windows since jesus was a young lad.... he never really pushed people for the triple pane. probably cause he knew how heavy they were to install haha

im currently in talks with a RTM builder out of Lloyd and all they use is triple pane

Uturn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
they teachers in trade school (of whom many are custom home builders or renovators on the side) will all tell you that triple aren't worth the extra cost. a double with a low-e coating and gas sealed is more than enough. you will never save the extra money on heating that you will pay for triple pained.

jm 0.02

The price of triple pane windows was 10% more than double pane (just under $1400 for my package). No extra cost to install. Given the window area in our new house is over 600 sq feet the cost was easy justify. While $2 natural gas will take while to recover, you also have to account for solar heating in the summer. You can feel the difference standing in front of one of the big windows on a cold day. Virtually no temperature difference.

It also depends on how long you plan to be in the house. This is the last house I plan on building, so I didn't mind putting extra money in the building envelope, upgraded windows and doors, 5" walltite eco spray foam on basement concrete walls, upgraded boiler and vfd pumps for the heating system, 2" sprayfoam above ceilings and 18" of blown in on top of it. If you don't think you will be in the same house in 5 to 10 years, then it might not be worth the money.

My old house cost $400/month to heat with natural gas in the winter months and was always cold. I can't wait for next winter in the new house!!!!

Top Bottom