Trail Etiquette

Wilk INStheWEST

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I know there are a few other threads on here about some rules when we are on the trails. How to pass, looking back, using proper hand signals, speed, but I haven't seen this yet. My group of 5 was riding Silent Pass last Saturday. We were the last group out of there. We were just coming off the switchback section of the trail, and as we come around a fairly tight bend, there are about 8 or 9 sleds just parked in the middle of the trail. The trail isn't very wide here, and they were stacked up 2 wide on the trail.
Now, parking around a corner is bad enough, but parking such that you cover the entire trail is just ignorant. As we rounded the corner, one guy in the group just pointed to the side of the trail to get us to go around them. WTF?
If your group is going to stop and take a break on the trail. Make sure that your sleds are well off to the side, and do not park near a corner!

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
I agree 150%........I hate that inconsiderate aspect. I can get over the hand signals, passing, etc. but that one takes the cake. Speeding up or down the trail also bugs me but not as bad as taking up the whole trail.

LUCKY 7

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
somebody could have been hurt or a sled damaged in this case. another thing is the garbage that people leave on the trail.
I know there are a few other threads on here about some rules when we are on the trails. How to pass, looking back, using proper hand signals, speed, but I haven't seen this yet. My group of 5 was riding Silent Pass last Saturday. We were the last group out of there. We were just coming off the switchback section of the trail, and as we come around a fairly tight bend, there are about 8 or 9 sleds just parked in the middle of the trail. The trail isn't very wide here, and they were stacked up 2 wide on the trail.
Now, parking around a corner is bad enough, but parking such that you cover the entire trail is just ignorant. As we rounded the corner, one guy in the group just pointed to the side of the trail to get us to go around them. WTF?
If your group is going to stop and take a break on the trail. Make sure that your sleds are well off to the side, and do not park near a corner!

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yep people are stupid. Would you stop and have a picnic in the middle of trans Canada highway, on a corner...lol

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yup, happens on our groomed trails all the time. Just one more reason I rarely ride there. So much nicer riding where others don't! Hmmmmmmm.....I better quit saying this or there's liable to be other sleds there some day!

tukernater

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yup, happens on our groomed trails all the time. Just one more reason I rarely ride there. So much nicer riding where others don't! Hmmmmmmm.....I better quit saying this or there's liable to be other sleds there some day!
Haha Ya ssshh !!!!!

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yep people are stupid. Would you stop and have a picnic in the middle of trans Canada highway, on a corner...lol

see it all the tme vehicles parked in the middle of the highway taking pics of wildlife, people out of the cars standing in the driving lanes!! not sure what they are thinking. a truck driver must be in control of his vehicle at all times, but you are in a world of hurt if he hits you.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yea my buddies witnessed 2 semis head on here from about 6inchs away about a month ago.

Iron Horse Racing

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Two years ago, we went to Renshaw and when unloading my son spotted a group, already unloaded and having a beer......they left about 10 minutes before us....half way up, there they were nice and neatly tucked off the trail, having a beer break....fast forward to the end of the day we see them towing two wrecked sleds and heading for the trail....we went and palyed in the open as the sun had gone down already.....half hour later we headed down, low and behold at the half way point we meet them again, this time they're all over the trail and an any possible way around them is blocked...

We stopped and asked them if they could kindly move a bit so we could get by......a very polite 30 something guy stumbles over and offers us a beer.....we kindly declined and repeated our request....he went and returned to his group that was attempting to start a fire.....so I jumped onto one of they're sled's started it and blurpt the thottle, hit the kill switch and walked back to my sled, half expecting a problem, not sure they even noticed, or they shurly didnt care.....

We had are one beer once loaded and tied down, tossed the empties into a bag in the back of the truck, then headed for dinner and a couple more beer....

The next day we picked up beer cans at the midway point stuffed them in a bag, kicked the half burnt trees way out of the way and kicked snow on them and the fire pit.
We left the bag of can's in the cabin till the end of the day and packed it down to the truck....

Our kids in our group, are young adults but couldnt stop talking about what a horrible display for the kids in there group and to the sledding community....

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would like to see everyone pick a nice steady speed on the trail instead of burping the throttle all the way up leaving nice little piles on the trail that turn into big whoops. There is 2000 acres up there to hammer the throttle. Leave the trails in nice shape for everyone.

lightening1000

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would like to see everyone pick a nice steady speed on the trail instead of burping the throttle all the way up leaving nice little piles on the trail that turn into big whoops. There is 2000 acres up there to hammer the throttle. Leave the trails in nice shape for everyone.
omg exactly!!!!! no one likes to come down that whooped trail after a good day of hard riding so just think ahead a bit and just cruise nicely up the trail so we can all have a good day and maybe another day of the smooth trail also.. and yes park in a safe place to take a break, its really not too complicated I wouldn't think..no one owns the trails or mountains so lets treat them with respect as we are hopefully taught to do..

finkous

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
how come no one ever comes on here and posts a reply saying sorry, I'm silly, it was me and my dumb friends that were taking up the trail, my only excuse is I was drunk and didn't have a clear look on life... It wont happen again?

I'm sure "those" guys are on here and reading about it, everyone has stories on how they cleaned up the garbage off the trails and the cabins, wave to every sledder heading the other way, and have given blood... what about the bad guys? lets hear from them

Marley

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
how come no one ever comes on here and posts a reply saying sorry, I'm silly, it was me and my dumb friends that were taking up the trail, my only excuse is I was drunk and didn't have a clear look on life... It wont happen again?

I'm sure "those" guys are on here and reading about it, everyone has stories on how they cleaned up the garbage off the trails and the cabins, wave to every sledder heading the other way, and have given blood... what about the bad guys? lets hear from them

I have parked not quite right with an enclosed trailer, stopped on the trail, skipped work to go sledding, drove on roads that were showing red on the road reports, stopped my sled pointing uphill and got stuck, hit trees, wore gear that doesn't match…but have never left a mess on the hill or been drunk sledding so I hope someone can tell me if i'm one of 'those' guys or one of the 'other' guys...

JungleJim

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The whole parking two or three wide across the trail is a really good point about setting yourself up for an accident. Everyone assumes the person coming will see them and stop or go around. A few years ago one buddy had stopped two wide to discuss directions, it was cold with snow dust in the air, and the sun was just at the right angle that a few minutes later another buddy came up, couldn't see them with the sun in his eyes and plowed right into the back of one of the sleds. No one hurt but a new bumper and a new pipe made it an expensive mistake. Could have been a LOT worse... Ride safe and have fun!

RXN

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I'm guilty of this, always tell my self I'm not going to do it, yet find myself doing it. I am getting better, at least catching myself and controlling it a bit, but This is one area I really need to slow down and think when I ride.

Sorry for the speed bumps. :beer:

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Very important where I spend most of my time. We don't have a groomer. If I make a bump it'll be there till it melts in the spring. :(

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I burp my throttle on the top of the moguls so they are smoother for the next guy! Lol

Top Bottom