Track porting

skibeadoo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
In my opinion porting a track does not have that much affect on the flotation, snow removal etc.
If anything I will never cross water with a ported track as myself and others have said that they do not skip water worth a hoot. I have ridden beside many sleds with and without and often looked down to see if there was a difference.
My friends have weighed the rubber when they took it out etc. Not even a little gain. Not eating breakfast in the morning would take more weight off the sled.
Less track means less strength over all.
Just my 0.02

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
In my opinion porting a track does not have that much affect on the flotation, snow removal etc.
If anything I will never cross water with a ported track as myself and others have said that they do not skip water worth a hoot. I have ridden beside many sleds with and without and often looked down to see if there was a difference.
My friends have weighed the rubber when they took it out etc. Not even a little gain. Not eating breakfast in the morning would take more weight off the sled.
Just my 0.02

There's people in both camps and I'm a firm believer of the opposing opinion. I noticed a huge loss in rolling resistance when I ported mine. Also snow evacuation in powder is also greatly increased. The next one is going under the holesaw as soon as I get some time.

I makes a big difference IMO, but I have heard the same comments above lots of times as well. Its a personal thing, and ultimately, you have to be willing to carve up your track to find out if it does anything for you. Some guys just aren't willing to do it.

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just my 0.02

Its funny, to say a ported track doesn't have an effect on flotation, but to say you wouldn't cross water with one because its ported...:rolleyes:

I would think it does have atleast some effect on flotation, snow or water if the ability to cross water is influenced by porting. For weight loss, no, I wouldn't say it matters, for snow being kicked up through the ports on hard snow, it did help a little on my last sled...for clearing snow in the deep stuff, hard to really judge.

I wouldn't run out and port a track on another sled for the minor differences I saw.

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
track on my sled is ported 3 1" holes ran across track between paddles. this was done prior to me owning sled. previous owner said it lightened track to the weight of a 136, its a 151. not a hole lot really cause a 151 is only about 5lbs heavier anyways according to a track parts list i have. snow in track when your stuck is waaaayyyy less i find makes a big differance when trying to lift the back of your sled. as for the crossing water issue, i find it works fine, i actually pick up speed going across water. would i do it again? probably as i get stuck alot and like the fact of less snow in my track.

shawnmcgr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
track porting = less rotating weight & less bending resistance (and maybe less snow in the tunnel but hard to prove).

Less bending resistance = less hp loss to spin the track.

I agree weight loss is minor (I measured 2 lbs)but if the only negative is a loss of water skipping ability then I think it's a good cheap upgrade. I don't do much water skipping but when I do I'm at 70+ kph or I'm skipping water I could walk out of (rivers/creeks).

I have heard there is some arguement against porting related to tunnel air pressure but I would think more track holes would decrease air pressure @ the bulkhead.

I put 1500kms on a ported Maverick last season with no problems.

As long as you keep your holes reasonable I don't think track strength is an issue, unless your running significantly more than stock HP (turbo, nos,...).

l8r shawn.

RaspberryNytro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have ported 4 or 5 tracks on different makes & models & all have given me the same visual results.......... less snow in the track while in deep POW & spins alot of snow inside the track while riding down the trail. riding identical sleds side by side on the trail & then up in the hills.........huge difference. As far as loss of strength, not too concerned about that. I had mine ported on my Nytro for 2 years with no issues until last year where the outside edge of track delaminated. No where near the ported holes! You see the Doo tracks have changed a bit from when they originally ported theirs. Like Modman says......can you justify drilling holes into your brand new track???:d

RN:beer:

Taz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I drilled mine out plus took out every second clip then weighed it all on a digital scale it was just over 8 pounds off a 162" track. I know the track turned easyer by hand after as well.

Top Bottom