Tow Rigs! Thinking of buying new

Frankenytro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, looking for some input on what you all use to drag your sleds around. Pros/cons, fuel miliage, best/worst options, and what you would do differently. I am looking for something comfortable enough to haul my 20' & 28' sled trailers as well as the holiday trailer. Don't just hit me with the obvious Albertan "2017 cummins 3500 with 20" lift and 44" boggers" comment as that is not what I am after. Let's here what you've got

rightsideup

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just a few questions how big is your holiday trailer and do you have a already good relationship with a certain brand/dealer?

Arctic_Ragtop

Reaction score
Yes, more information. Do you prefer a certain brand and how big is your holiday trailer.

I've got a 2013 F250 Lariat Crewcab Short Box (6.75') with the 6.2 Gas. I considered buying a Diesel but this is also my daily driver so decided against the diesel and am glad I did. It has more than enough power to tow what I need, will never tow more than a 28' car hauler and might only do that a few times a year. I know lots won't agree with going against the diesel but the 6.2 is a great motor, I'm really happy with it. Fuel mileage is ok, doesn't get a lot of mileage, so the l/100 km isn't great but I can't expect a truck that can reliably do everything I need it to, to not burn fuel and I am ok with that.

Last edited:

Frankenytro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
28' (definitely should have included that) I am not sold on any one inperticular. I have owned many many gm's, and usually shook my head at fords. Last trip sledding my brother in law said he wanted to haul my 28' with his f150 to valemount and said we would do it on a tank of fuel. To my surprise we coasted into town (on fumes) but made it lol and the truck hardly hiccuped threw the hills. I was surprised and thought that perhaps I should put the brand thing behind me. The shop is a very diverse shop filled with every brand their is lol, so why not change up the driveway

Frankenytro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
arctic_ragtop how many km do you usually get to a tank pulling your 28'? what size tank?

rightsideup

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
28' (definitely should have included that) I am not sold on any one inperticular. I have owned many many gm's, and usually shook my head at fords. Last trip sledding my brother in law said he wanted to haul my 28' with his f150 to valemount and said we would do it on a tank of fuel. To my surprise we coasted into town (on fumes) but made it lol and the truck hardly hiccuped threw the hills. I was surprised and thought that perhaps I should put the brand thing behind me. The shop is a very diverse shop filled with every brand their is lol, so why not change up the driveway
People tend to underestimate the power of the new half tons. They have power and even if equipped right certain safety things such as braking and trailer packaging balances the load. I guess if you use the truck as a daily driver without a load you might consider one.
Some other questions I would consider are your pulling your trailer up mountain roads if so I would definetly consider the three quarter tons. I know at cark kuster mountain camp they have 6.2 gas f350s that pull large enclosed trailers and also have decks on the trucks as well to cover all situations. they do not miss the power of the diesel. Both the 6.2 ford and new dodge 6.1 or 6.2 hemi have very good power chevy seems not to update there heavy duty truck gas engines so they are down in the power game and still suck the fuel down fairly hard.

Snowbalz

Reaction score
I pull a 40' fithwheel with a 2015 6.7 F350 and it pulls like a freight train, my only issue with my truck is the small fuel tank however comfort and torque makes up the difference.

Frankenytro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Now that you mention the safety aspect, when we were driving on fresh frozen rain we had the trailer start to skate away and pull the back of his truck a little. Next thing I know his truck was applying the trailer brakes and straightened us right out. Is this just a ford gig? Or could you possibly find this in the Rams too?

team dirt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.sledseymourarm.ca
where do you live. If you are in rural Alberta and dont go to the city much buy a long box. You will love the extra box and it actually makes hauling and towing much more stable. Also if you decide to use a deck you can put an 8'deck on with no overhang. Only downside is parking lots but you get excersize walking from the far end of the lot that way.

Absledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
where do you live. If you are in rural Alberta and dont go to the city much buy a long box. You will love the extra box and it actually makes hauling and towing much more stable. Also if you decide to use a deck you can put an 8'deck on with no overhang. Only downside is parking lots but you get excersize walking from the far end of the lot that way.
I agree. I love my longbox, yes it can be a pain once in a while but 9/10 times I'm happy to have it. I've driven it in the city a couple times when I have to and I honestly don't think it's that much worse in a parking lot.

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

frock

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Frankenytro, there's a reason that a lot of people do run the 1 ton diesel rams for towing. I have a 2012 Longhorn, the drivetrain in these trucks is tough as hell and the Cummins is as good as any motor for towing. I did opt out of the lifted, monster truck look complete with white Oakleys. My suspension and tire size is stock other than a set of airbags. I towed my 42' toyhauler all the way up into Telegraph Creek last summer for our annual family get together and fishcamp. I weighed my truck and trailer at the scales in Fort St John (they were closed when I came through) and the whole rig was 28,100 lbs. The road into Telegraph has some very steep, long hills and my truck never missed a beat. I like the long box as well and would never have a short box, one six pack and the box is full :beer:

0neoldfart

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What you purchase should be directly related to your needs. If you only tow and haul on occasion, a gas V8 in a 3/4 ton would suit you fine. If you are the guy who trades a vehicle in every 4 years with 100,000 km on the odometer, the diesel will not be a cost effective option. In my personal situation, I am always pulling a trailer or hauling at least 2500 lbs of cargo, sometimes both. I also keep my trucks for about 7-8 years, and sell them when they hit 350,000+ km, and don't add lift kits or power adders - the lift kits always affect front end component life and create handling "quirks" - those who claim that a lifted truck drives/handles as well as a stocker are simply in denial.
As far as diesels go, they will last considerably longer then a gasser, generally get better fuel economy, and have a tremendous amount of torque for pulling heavier loads, the downside is higher maintenance costs, and higher initial price. The new urea / DEF systems can cause a lot of grief in cold weather, and if you use the truck as a daily driver for short commutes to work, I would advise against ANY diesel - they simply were designed for highway use, mush as a fully dressed touring bike makes for a lousy bar hopper...
My choice of ride is a 1 ton single rear wheel 4WD crew cab with 8' box and diesel power simply for the added payload and the way it handles a large trailer. IMHO, GM rides the best, but the Fords and Dodges are a tougher truck, Dodge having the most ground clearance out of all of them - all have similar power in the diesels. For a gasser, both Ford's 6.2 and Fargo's 6.4 seem to be decent in the power dept, but fuel economy isn't great on either. Haven't driven a big block Chev recently, but the 6.0L was an underpowered gas guzzling disappointment (I owned two in years past).
Personally, I would steer clear of the 1/2 ton. Yes, they will pull the load, but not nearly as safely as a 3/4 ton or larger truck. It's not just about power, it's about axle size and load ratings, heavy duty brakes, and heavier steering components - there is a reason there is a difference.

Summit 934

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My recommendation is anything Chev/GMC, gas or diesel. I've owned all three brands over the years and the Chevs have always given me the best reliability, lowest maintenance cost and outstanding ride. Any Ford I've had caused me nothing but grief, I will never have another one. Have always been a Cummins fan but now they are(last I heard) snapping cranks and cracking blocks since farming out the manufacturing of those parts to China. If the ground clearance is too low on a Chev a simple levelling kit in the front will help and the stock rims/tires would still look fine without compromising ride, and you can't beat the Allison transmission behind the diesel!

Just my two cents....

Frankenytro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thank you all for your feedback! I think I will probably steer to a 3/4 ton at minimum but brand will be the tough deciding factor. The truck will be the daily driver for the wife to drop the wee ones off at school and do some shopping during the week as I drive 55k each way mon-fri for work and prefer to mile out a designated work vehicle rather than the tow rig. I have owned a couple diesles and really enjoyed my duramax but I did dislike the added cost of services and also always fighting for a plug in if ever in extremely cold temperatures. Having said that I am still not sold one way or another, but it is a factor for consideration for sure. The wife currently drives a Yukon xl so she is used to parking a larger vehicle daily, and we have discussed the long box and it is a valid option. Dually unfortunately is just not something she will consider, but I know a single wheel will do all I need and more.... But I love hips! Ha ha. please keep the input coming as this will help with the decision of which of the big 3 will see my money. Thanks again!

rightsideup

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What you purchase should be directly related to your needs. If you only tow and haul on occasion, a gas V8 in a 3/4 ton would suit you fine. If you are the guy who trades a vehicle in every 4 years with 100,000 km on the odometer, the diesel will not be a cost effective option. In my personal situation, I am always pulling a trailer or hauling at least 2500 lbs of cargo, sometimes both. I also keep my trucks for about 7-8 years, and sell them when they hit 350,000+ km, and don't add lift kits or power adders - the lift kits always affect front end component life and create handling "quirks" - those who claim that a lifted truck drives/handles as well as a stocker are simply in denial.
As far as diesels go, they will last considerably longer then a gasser, generally get better fuel economy, and have a tremendous amount of torque for pulling heavier loads, the downside is higher maintenance costs, and higher initial price. The new urea / DEF systems can cause a lot of grief in cold weather, and if you use the truck as a daily driver for short commutes to work, I would advise against ANY diesel - they simply were designed for highway use, mush as a fully dressed touring bike makes for a lousy bar hopper...
My choice of ride is a 1 ton single rear wheel 4WD crew cab with 8' box and diesel power simply for the added payload and the way it handles a large trailer. IMHO, GM rides the best, but the Fords and Dodges are a tougher truck, Dodge having the most ground clearance out of all of them - all have similar power in the diesels. For a gasser, both Ford's 6.2 and Fargo's 6.4 seem to be decent in the power dept, but fuel economy isn't great on either. Haven't driven a big block Chev recently, but the 6.0L was an underpowered gas guzzling disappointment (I owned two in years past).
Personally, I would steer clear of the 1/2 ton. Yes, they will pull the load, but not nearly as safely as a 3/4 ton or larger truck. It's not just about power, it's about axle size and load ratings, heavy duty brakes, and heavier steering components - there is a reason there is a difference.

Very informative post it would be interesting to do a cost analysis of certain scenarios. I think a well equipped half ton still has its place but people do have to recognize the potential safety issues if they expect it to do more than it is safely equipped to do. I have one but recognize it's limitations and 90 percent of the vehicles miles are with no load

Frankenytro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I should have included the fact the towing is pretty much every weekend. We camp from may 1 till it snows, and when we are at our seasonal spot we have the 20' filled with the quads and bikes for summer activities. This is the only reason I am leaning towards 3/4 ton but I definitely had my eyes opened to the abilities of a half ton last trip out west. A few years back I had less trailers and way less units (the kids were riding with mom and dad) now everyone has their own and the loads are not as minimal. I bought the Yukon xl when I had a 26' lite model with no slides. Now I have a heavy 28' with slide and see the much needed room for improvement. With help from the fellow s&m brothers and sisters I think the choice should be made easier without the extremely clouded sales persons pitch from any of the big 3. Thank you all again, and keep it coming!

Highfly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I buy new trucks every 3-4 years and use them as write offs for my business, I have zero overhead so the trucks help me out tax wise. I have a pretty heavy service trailer I pull on occasion and the sled trailer flat deck. In 2010 I decised to go with a 3/4 ton (All my trucks have been GMC and Chevy) the difference was HUGE. I'm legal pulling my service trailer with the half ton and within its limits but that service trailer pushes the 1/2 ton around a lot. It feels like the trailer is the boss. Switching over to the 3/4 ton I felt much more comfortable. Power wise wasn't a factor, didn't mind the 1/2 tons at all.
My decision in the end was to stay with 1/2 tons. I am not towing the trailers enough to warrant the extra cost in the truck purchase and extra gas. Also you can not get 3/4 tons at 0% financing, ever... Half tons at the right time of the year 7-10,000 off top of the line trucks with 0% financing. I'm with out a trailer more than I am with one so every time i'm not towing i'm saving money in gas having a 1/2 ton. Yes I will burn more with the trailer but so be it. The Chevys and GMCs 4/8 cylinder mode is getting better and better every year. I can cruise on flat ground, no head wind at 100 Kmph in 4 cylinder mode. That was never possible before.
Plus they are sexy looking IMO ;-)
Picture Below In 4 cylinder mode (V4) at 100Kmph. Best 8.3 currently at 9.6 averaging 11.00. At the time of this picture it was brand spanking new. Might even be better now.

I have never went with diesels. As mentioned too expensive, to high maintenance costs and I rotate them out. People say a diesel will last forever. I put 317,000 on a 2000 GMC (gas) and all the issues I had with it were none drivetrain problems, the same problems a diesel would have because it's the same cab. Things like window cables breaking, switches not working etc. The gas engines are far superior to what they once were. And running costs are lower. This new truck is now running 0-20 weight semi synthetic oil. The oil pan is bigger by 3 liters but you can now go 10,000+ kms on an oil change. Even though the oil changes are more expensive in the long run it's cheaper.
I also LOVE the stabilitrak systems in the Chevys and GMCs. Its pure genius and to be honest works so well you can be a complete idiot and that truck will keep you straight. I've tried to upset the truck (In a safe area) and i'm wondering if it can be done....
I noticed a big different in comfort with this truck compared to the 2013 I had. seating comfort, the now padded doors and general seating position is really nice. The dash has been moved forward for even more cab space as well. And don't even get me started on how quiet these new trucks are. AMAZING!!!
I have driven , not owned...the Fords and Dodges, both nice trucks but to me no competition. Yes the GMCs and Chevys are more expensive but IMO they are worth it.
So far the only thing I am not as happy as I would like to be is with the tire performance in the snow. Now that I have committed to 1/2 tones I really should go out and set myself up with a set of winters on winter rims....

Attachments

• IMG_20150818_162859.jpg
    IMG_20150818_162859.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 236
  • IMG_20150819_123307.jpg
    IMG_20150819_123307.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 230

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The 6.0 Vortec hasn't really changed other than mild HP improvements since its release. Honestly I wish GM would offer something to compete against Dodge and Ford's gas HD options. But that being said my 6.0 gas with two sleds on it going back and forth to Revy is the same as a friends new Dodge HD with the active fuel management. When running empty he does better. I know nothing of Ford's gas motors but I know FernieSnow has been running one for awhile.

I am holding off on a newer truck right now as I do not want additional debt until the economy turns around. I do not work in a field that allows me to pay cash for new trucks. A newer truck is simply not a need for me its a luxury but heck so are sleds and bikes! That being said in the fall when I was looking around I drove all 3 of the new HD diesel options and I was more impressed with the Ford over any of them. I never thought I would walk away impressed with it. I liked the familiarity of the GM/Chev trucks, the Dodge I still do not find comfortable to drive. The Ford cab noise was very low, the features were straight forward as all trims I looked at were the better with a LTZ, Laramie and Lariat. Getting the same options in the Chev required additional packages, the Dodge was pretty good and the Lariat just offered everything I wanted. These were all 2015's, not 16 so I do not know if there are minor differences. Honestly I felt the F350 had a better ride than my 2500HD. GM still hasn't improved their IFS much but I accept that its a HD truck.

If I was going to a lighter duty truck I would like to drive a new Nissan with the little Cummins and Aisin tranny. I know nothing of these trucks I am just mentioning I would look at one if I wasn't concerned with payload but still wanted something that tows.

So for me, a daily driver and literally more than 6 months of the year I am hauling something on my days off be it a trailer or sleds or whatever, its a decision that could go any direction. Consider all your vehicle uses and biggest needs and make a choice. You can always sell it if its the wrong choice!

Cat401

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I buy new trucks every 3-4 years and use them as write offs for my business, I have zero overhead so the trucks help me out tax wise. I have a pretty heavy service trailer I pull on occasion and the sled trailer flat deck. In 2010 I decised to go with a 3/4 ton (All my trucks have been GMC and Chevy) the difference was HUGE. I'm legal pulling my service trailer with the half ton and within its limits but that service trailer pushes the 1/2 ton around a lot. It feels like the trailer is the boss. Switching over to the 3/4 ton I felt much more comfortable. Power wise wasn't a factor, didn't mind the 1/2 tons at all.
My decision in the end was to stay with 1/2 tons. I am not towing the trailers enough to warrant the extra cost in the truck purchase and extra gas. Also you can not get 3/4 tons at 0% financing, ever... Half tons at the right time of the year 7-10,000 off top of the line trucks with 0% financing. I'm with out a trailer more than I am with one so every time i'm not towing i'm saving money in gas having a 1/2 ton. Yes I will burn more with the trailer but so be it. The Chevys and GMCs 4/8 cylinder mode is getting better and better every year. I can cruise on flat ground, no head wind at 100 Kmph in 4 cylinder mode. That was never possible before.
Plus they are sexy looking IMO ;-)
Picture Below In 4 cylinder mode (V4) at 100Kmph. Best 8.3 currently at 9.6 averaging 11.00. At the time of this picture it was brand spanking new. Might even be better now.

I have never went with diesels. As mentioned too expensive, to high maintenance costs and I rotate them out. People say a diesel will last forever. I put 317,000 on a 2000 GMC (gas) and all the issues I had with it were none drivetrain problems, the same problems a diesel would have because it's the same cab. Things like window cables breaking, switches not working etc. The gas engines are far superior to what they once were. And running costs are lower. This new truck is now running 0-20 weight semi synthetic oil. The oil pan is bigger by 3 liters but you can now go 10,000+ kms on an oil change. Even though the oil changes are more expensive in the long run it's cheaper.
I also LOVE the stabilitrak systems in the Chevys and GMCs. Its pure genius and to be honest works so well you can be a complete idiot and that truck will keep you straight. I've tried to upset the truck (In a safe area) and i'm wondering if it can be done....
I noticed a big different in comfort with this truck compared to the 2013 I had. seating comfort, the now padded doors and general seating position is really nice. The dash has been moved forward for even more cab space as well. And don't even get me started on how quiet these new trucks are. AMAZING!!!
I have driven , not owned...the Fords and Dodges, both nice trucks but to me no competition. Yes the GMCs and Chevys are more expensive but IMO they are worth it.
So far the only thing I am not as happy as I would like to be is with the tire performance in the snow. Now that I have committed to 1/2 tones I really should go out and set myself up with a set of winters on winter rims....

You are showing great results for the last 50km......What does your read out say if you changed it to the last 650Km's?

My 2015 6.2L GMC may show those low numbers for the 50Km readout but never that low for the longer 650KM.....maybe its me...

And by the way, I agree with your decision to drive a 1/2 ton gas over a heavier 3/4 ton and diesel....I weighed the costs and for the few times a year that I am pulling something, the 1/2 ton gas works for me too

Last edited:
Top Bottom