Tire weight or size. What is worse?

atvottawa

Reaction score
Is it easier to turn a lighter tall tire or a heavier small tire?

I want a radial, but they are heavy, I also want a taller tire, but the taller the tire the heavier it is.

So do I decide to get a big light tire (bias) or a smaller heavier tire (radial)

Also note that the only real mud I am going to hit will be trail mud that I come across. I am mainly a trail rider, donuts and wheelies.

My tax return is coming in and I am finally gonna get tires and rims.

Bias 27-28"

Zilla

Radial 25-26"
Terracross
xtr
spartacus
grim reaper
reptile

Bruteskeg

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
juat go get he zillas they are a sweet tire, I would prefer them over the outlaws that are on my brute right now, they are smoother and hook up allmost as well, oh yeah and light and seem to out last the 27'' outlaws anyways.

bspot

Reaction score
For what you need them for i would defiantly choose the xtr's. I had them and they are the best all around tire. I switched to the zillas only because I wanted a tire that performs a little better in the mud.

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What Bruteskeg said. I had 'Laws as well and got rid of them for MudBugs....the Bugs are also a nice light mud tire....Zillas weren't invented then. when I replace, it will be with Zillas. The power loss from a big heavy tire is HUGE.

SledMamma

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have no idea what this thread is about, since I tuned out at the word "radial", but in my opinion... size matters!! (sorry... I had to!!)

buck50

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i have the mud bugs as well and LOVE them! great all round tire. the only problems i've seen with radials is a weak side wall. seen lots of blow outs from sticks and what not jamming the side walls!

DOONORTH

Reaction score
Have been real happy with the reptiles. Good traction in all conditions. Will use them again this year on my new unit. But you have to be happy, look lots, buy once. Good luck

09xp850le

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
iv got 28x11-14 zillas on all 4 corners of my 850. i know they're a good tire asnd ride great! iv got 3000 kms on mine with 75% left on the back and 95% left on the front. great trail and mud tire. il never buy another brand unless its lighter, smoother, grippier, and outlasts the zillas. hahahahaha knew bruteskeg would see it my way after our last trip

iamcanadian

Reaction score
I spent ALOT of time researching tires... I figured it was one of the most important purchases for the quad... I found this tire calculater useful

Attachments

• ATV_Tire_Performance_Calculator1.zip
    6.6 KB · Views: 93

catzuki

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just went from 27x9/11R14 Mud lite XTR's to 30x9/11-14 Mudzilla's. Now i know the mudzillas are heavy, but you know, i dont really think that. It takes more effort to get the Muds spinning, but once they are moving, they go through way more than my XTR's ever could. But im not really compaing apples to apples, its more like apples to oranges cause of the tread and height. I was gonna go with the zilla's, but for what i got the mudzilla's for, i couldnt buy zilla's. I know im gonna break some stuff with these tires sooner or later, but thats why these are called toys.

Mudzilla's
30x9-14 36 lbs
30x11-14 44lbs

Mudlite XTR's

27x9R14 29 lbs
27x11R14 35 lbs

Really, it onlt added 40lbs of mass of tires, thats why i went with the 30's.

Top Bottom