Thuren suspension

2kDoo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
5150’s over 5160’s?
oops, my bad
ya the 5160s
189 each at genos garage
napa can get them, along with JB in edm i do believe. Those with some clear 3m is what I would do if I have a level kit. Because my 2nd gen is stock height (race truck) bilstein 4600 are fine.

overkill19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Maybe check out the 7100's they arent too expensive and are rebuildable.

Rebuildable is a bit of a loose term.
Yes you can rebuild them. But no one will give you the specs or torque values.
I’ve got two rear Thuren Fox remote reservoir shocks laying on the floor… pretty much garbage imo.
3 year old shocks, by the time I ship them back and forth plus the labour and parts. I think new shocks are a better route. Once you get into the 3” Carlis or Thuren then ya worth it !but not a $450 shock imo.
Personally I wont drink the Carli Thuren. Oool aid anymore! Some of there stuff yes, but high end shocks here don’t survive and unless you are jumping the truck. I’ve never noticed a ride difference, well not $3000 better

I bought Amazon blistens to replace my fox’s… never look back. They were $133 each!! They work just fine for the street and pulling my toyhauler.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I’ve got two rear Thuren Fox remote reservoir shocks laying on the floor… pretty much garbage imo.
3 year old shocks, by the time I ship them back and forth plus the labour and parts. I think new shocks are a better route. Once you get into the 3” Carlis or Thuren then ya worth it !but not a $450 shock imo.
Personally I wont drink the Carli Thuren. Oool aid anymore! Some of there stuff yes, but high end shocks here don’t survive and unless you are jumping the truck. I’ve never noticed a ride difference, well not $3000 better

I bought Amazon blistens to replace my fox’s… never look back. They were $133 each!! They work just fine for the street and pulling my toyhauler.
If the 100$ shocks are working for you then right on!

But If you cant get those fox's rebuilt and are throwing them out anyways send em to me. Lol

2kDoo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I open the bidding at 50 bucks
Nextech in sherwood park is about 100 each to rebuild, I highly highly recommend them to rebuild and is exactly what I would do if ya wanna sell pretyy please haha

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I open the bidding at 50 bucks
Nextech in sherwood park is about 100 each to rebuild, I highly highly recommend them to rebuild and is exactly what I would do if ya wanna sell pretyy please haha
I can think of a few places that do them local and there is videos on youtube that show you how and it is pretty easy....

2kDoo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I can think of a few places that do them local and there is videos on youtube that show you how and it is pretty easy....
Heres to hoping he doesnt want them and me or you get them haha. Otherwise im just gonna run 4600s (stock height)
You ever run the carli control arms? Im thinking to try out a set of thurens with those weird bushing in them...trying so hard to keep it stock though

overkill19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I’ve rebuilt lots of shocks,
I’ve run Carli
7100’s I think they were
Carli 2.5 Kings
Pintops
Thuren Fox’s
Both styles of control arms
Thuren Alien alms
Carli long arms
Carli air bags
Carli sway bars
Carli ball joints
Carli rear full leafs
Carli track bars both styles
EMF ball joints
EMF track bar joint
Carli 3” coils
Thuren 3” coils
Thuren 6” coils
Thuren Shackles
Thuren Sway bars
Carli dual imposing stabilizer
Thuren stabilizer
I’ve done Dons leaf cut trick
I’ve spent a lot of time talking with Don and Sage over the years. All great products, exceptional really.
But only if you live in Glamis and want to go 95 mph across 2ft whoops in the sand!
If you need 3” or 2.5” kings for the street to make you think this rides better! Go for it.they don’t survive the harsh winters.
it’s a waste of money in my opinion.
I’ll never do it again , I learned the hard way.

overkill19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Heres to hoping he doesnt want them and me or you get them haha. Otherwise im just gonna run 4600s (stock height)
You ever run the carli control arms? Im thinking to try out a set of thurens with those weird bushing in them...trying so hard to keep it stock though

Carli arms are longer, don’t work so well at stock height

overkill19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If the 100$ shocks are working for you then right on!

But If you cant get those fox's rebuilt and are throwing them out anyways send em to me. Lol

I’m sure those fox’s are tossed. That was 2 years ago. They were pitted to all hell barely any coating left. It just wasn’t worth even a $100 to rebuild them and just have them leak 1-2 years later if ur lucky.
Im surprised ur buddy charges $100 as the oil is $50 seals are $20 … that’s cheap labour

2kDoo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Carli arms are longer, don’t work so well at stock height

thats what I figured, but on thurens website he says his half inch arms are worth it even at stock. since I put 4th gen springs on I got about 1" of lift and figure the high clearance arms with a little more push forward is worth it. Hard to justify when stocks are only 400 canadian and thurens over a grand :(

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I’m sure those fox’s are tossed. That was 2 years ago. They were pitted to all hell barely any coating left. It just wasn’t worth even a $100 to rebuild them and just have them leak 1-2 years later if ur lucky.
Im surprised ur buddy charges $100 as the oil is $50 seals are $20 … that’s cheap labour
I never even said what "my buddy" charges.

There is more than one person on snow and mud...lol

Last edited:

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I never even said what "my buddy" charges.

There is more than one person on snow and mud...lol
The Fox shocks on my truck are mint. You run what you figure, ill do the same.

1 tons ride like ch!t, so yeah 3inch king shocks arent going to help your tow rig ride down the highway better. When the spings are cock stiff.

I could have told you that and saved you a lot of money. Lol

Last edited:

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

It baffles me Carli and Thuren are still in business. I've ran their stuff too many years ago, overpriced overhyped stuff that is of no benefit for 99.99% of people.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Obviously the chit is made for agressive off roading. Get an old Cadillac if you are looking for smoother ride....

2kDoo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It baffles me Carli and Thuren are still in business. I've ran their stuff too many years ago, overpriced overhyped stuff that is of no benefit for 99.99% of people.

this is what I am struggling with. Numerous people have told me bilstein 4600s with stock springs and stock control arms end of the day rides the best and is very very cheaper :( Guess that what I'm gonna do on my 96

Single fox 2.0 non resi are about 200 each, I got triples on my megacab and it rides so smooth !!! Dont care what anyone says

overkill19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The Fox shocks on my truck are mint. You run what you figure, ill do the same.

1 tons ride like ch!t, so yeah 3inch king shocks arent going to help your tow rig ride down the highway better. When the spings are cock stiff.

I could have told you that and saved you a lot of money. Lol

There is more than one person on s&m so no reason to quote yourself! Lmao!

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Obviously the chit is made for agressive off roading. Get an old Cadillac if you are looking for smoother ride....

The thing many people don't get about the carli/thuren is a lot of it is a sham. Drive 10 mph over some crazy bumps, now go 30 mph over them, if you go fast enough you will almost sail over them, not because of better suspension but by physics. They offer more travel then stock for sure, but none of their components are anything special. I ran about 6 different lifts in my 3rd gen many years ago and the carli was by far the most expensive but wasn't anywhere close to the smoothest or best components. Both of these companies boast about huge on road gains or at least they use to. Neither are good at making components, they are good at marketing though.

Top Bottom