Thuren suspension

2kDoo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Only worth it if a guy wants 3.0 shocks.
Can get cheaper bilstein 5150 resi's

Dawizman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yep. I have the King 2.5" shocks front and rear. I absolutely love it. It has worked so well for the last 4 years on my '16 that I am pulling it off, rebuilding the shocks, and putting it on my '21. Drove a stock '21 a little while ago, and it made me realize how much better my ride really is.

20210501_170437.jpg

2kDoo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yep. I have the King 2.5" shocks front and rear. I absolutely love it. It has worked so well for the last 4 years on my '16 that I am pulling it off, rebuilding the shocks, and putting it on my '21. Drove a stock '21 a little while ago, and it made me realize how much better my ride really is.

View attachment 241007
how are they holding up ? Did you have to wrap them with clear vinyl ? Only thing holding me back on some nice resi's is how quick they might pit. Buit I figure some clear 3m will work great. HRT used to do it back in the day

Dawizman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
how are they holding up ? Did you have to wrap them with clear vinyl ? Only thing holding me back on some nice resi's is how quick they might pit. Buit I figure some clear 3m will work great. HRT used to do it back in the day
Unfortunately they are quite stained. They aren't too pitted or anything though. When I pull them off I plan to clean them up with alumabrite and some elbow grease, and then wrap them with thick vinyl meant for dirt bike wraps. Should be much easier to keep clean.

2kDoo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
But for having 200k on them, it's hard to complain about how they have held up.

So awesome ! High clearance control arms and 37s next ? Such a sleeper; Looks great !

Dawizman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So awesome ! High clearance control arms and 37s next ? Such a sleeper; Looks great !
I'm not in to doing it up big really. I just did it for the improved ride, and the ability to fly down rough backcountry roads at a good clip while remaining in control. If you're familiar with the Chipewyan Lake road North of Wabasca, I have no issue running that in the summer at 110.

I also like the fuel economy of keeping it close to stock height and tire size. Loading sleds and bikes on the deck is also nice being lower.

Tchetek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm not in to doing it up big really. I just did it for the improved ride, and the ability to fly down rough backcountry roads at a good clip while remaining in control. If you're familiar with the Chipewyan Lake road North of Wabasca, I have no issue running that in the summer at 110.

I also like the fuel economy of keeping it close to stock height and tire size. Loading sleds and bikes on the deck is also nice being lower.
What did you go with for front hight and tire size?

Tchetek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They don’t seem to have king anymore? Fox res…?

Last edited:

Dawizman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What did you go with for front hight and tire size?
Stock tire size 275/65R20 (34") with the 0.5" lift coils. They actually added about 1.5" of height on the front though. I added a 1" block in the back to keep some rake.

I dug out a few comparison pictures of the components.

They stopped offering the Kings right now because there is a 8-10 month wait to get a set. That's part of the reason I'm pulling mine out of the truck rather than buying a new set for the new truck.

20181001_131816.jpg
20181001_132316.jpg
20181001_130039.jpg
20181001_102718.jpg

Tchetek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Stock tire size 275/65R20 (34") with the 0.5" lift coils. They actually added about 1.5" of height on the front though. I added a 1" block in the back to keep some rake.

I dug out a few comparison pictures of the components.

They stopped offering the Kings right now because there is a 8-10 month wait to get a set. That's part of the reason I'm pulling mine out of the truck rather than buying a new set for the new truck.

View attachment 241015View attachment 241016View attachment 241017View attachment 241018
yes don’t want much steeper ramp or nose in the air ! How did they rate the fox resi’ vs the kings. I need new rubber and i’m contemplating flipping my current ride or stepping up its game a bit.

Attachments

• 68464591-6975-438B-A3A5-A0D006037C74.jpeg
    68464591-6975-438B-A3A5-A0D006037C74.jpeg
    522.1 KB · Views: 149

Dawizman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My understanding is that ride quality is very comparable between the Fox or King when on road, or mild offroad/rough road. But for that matter, if you're mostly on road, a good set of bilstein isn't that far off either in the ride department. Where the King really starts to shine is offroad or rough road. They can handle the terrain a whole lot better. My shocks will take on 12" whoops in the road without much issue at highway speeds. With more aggressive valving they could take even more. Then there's the even bigger King options. The softer coils and stiffer track bar also play quite a bit in to the better, more controlled ride. The Thuren rear leaf pack, or Carli add a pack will take it to the next level again (full leaf being the best option)

One thing to keep in mind if you are after ride quality, tires play a big factor. Keeping your tire pressure properly adjusted can make a drastic difference. I run my tires according to the manufacturer load charts. This means adjusting a lot based on load, but well worth it in my opinion. I end up running around 62 psi front / 42 psi rear when empty, and go up from there. 18" wheels will provide an even nicer ride vs 20s due to more sidewall as well.

Pedaling pete

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have the Fox Factory Race series on my truck and they are just as good as the kings in the same class of shock.
(3.0 vs 3.0 or 2.5 vs 2.5 or 4.0 vs 4.0 ext)

Fox makes some of the best shocks in the world.

They make suspension for everything all the way up too full race trophy truck stuff and is very competitive with anything king makes.

Last edited:

Dawizman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have the Fox Factory Race series on my truck and they are just as good as the kings in the same class of shock.
(3.0 vs 3.0 or 2.5 vs 2.5 or 4.0 vs 4.0 ext)

Fox makes some of the best shocks in the world.

They make suspension for everything all the way up too full race trophy truck stuff and is very competitive with anything king makes.
This is true. I was referring to the Fox shocks that Thuren sells which are not the factory race series, just the 2.0 performance series.

Pedaling pete

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This is true. I was referring to the Fox shocks that Thuren sells which are not the factory race series, just the 2.0 performance series.
Ok, im not too familiar with thurens line up. I know people running thuren though. I hear good things.

But id definitely upgrade to the Race Series.

Maybe you can just get the kit without shocks, and then pick out your own?

2kDoo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
bilstein 5150 for 189 american each, 3m wrap IMO

a fraction of the cost of some kings or foxes and almost just as good ride quality IMO
HRT offroad (kev) used to sell these with his carli lifts in the 2000s, back when he worked with carli to develop shocks

Top Bottom