Thoughts on new proposed Bylaw

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
- Unequivocally and irrefutably FALSE: " doctor informed her it would be harder on the baby's development to quit than to just continue smoking" . This is a MYTH and hearing it makes my blood boil- I have yet to find a doctor who actually advocates this to be true. I firmly believe it is a lie potentiated by people who don't want to own up to the truth because they weren't ready to quit. For every four healthy children who are seemingly unaffected, I can show you four or more who are...
I'm just repeating what she told me. I don't have kids...and I don't smoke (except camping...doesn't count...I don't inhale, LOL) so I don't have a dog in this fight. Thanks for clearing up my apparent missinformation.

I can vouch, as "Uncle Dave" to these kids, that they are all vibrant, healthy, smart little jocks. (and no...neither of their parents smokes in the house or in the car with the kids)

eclipse1966

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
growing up to a father that smoked in the car and I hated it. Windows open/closed/half is not the answer. I have no issues with smokers and frankly speaking hate when the government imposes these stupid laws to make us robots and take away the "decision making" from common sense situations. If you want to smoke that is your decision and all the power to you. But pls dont expose your kids to it as the consequences could have a negative affect. Second hand smoke is every bit of dangerous as puffing on it yourself.

Side note, my oldest daughter and her friend were driving in Vernon and stopped at a red light. Her friend noticed a younger couple smoking in a car with windows closed and 2 kids in the back seat. Her friend unrolled her window and told them that was a bad idea. Well making that comment was a bad idea as once the light went green this car caught up to them with the lady hanging out the passenger window yelling and screaming and pointing a gun and my daughter and her friend. Called the cops not sure of the outcome or weather or not it was a real gun or not. Fortunately they took the plate number to report it.

JaySimon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

They banned those critters in BC. Shame, I liked the tubes they came in for carrying left handed cigs.

kbrunlees

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I fully agree with Mama, this discussion can get get real ugly real fast. I feel that for most people the change in their behaviour is inevitable. It takes time for people to accept it, however if you continue to beat over the head and ears of everyone you are gonna get an FU real quick and any good out of the conversation has evaporated. Discussion is good. I envy you Dave, I would kill to have a cigar around the campfire but my ankles have been broken so many times falling off the wagon that it was really starting to hurt. I can't trust myself with just one so I don't (my weak will I guess). If the government was serious about tabacco use they would make it illegal but they won't due to the cash cow it provides.

sunshinesmiles

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well I agree that if we don't do something, say something we are going to be nothing by friggin robots................to those we elect. Read my earlier post...................what is next !!! They are going to start invading our homes.......................can't do this that or the other thing...........can't Bar-B-Q cause the smoke goes into the neighbors yard....................when will it end seriously ?!?!?!?! This is the ch!t it's coming down to will all this bylaw crap..........

storm1972

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I fully agree with Mama, this discussion can get get real ugly real fast. I feel that for most people the change in their behaviour is inevitable. It takes time for people to accept it, however if you continue to beat over the head and ears of everyone you are gonna get an FU real quick and any good out of the conversation has evaporated. Discussion is good. I envy you Dave, I would kill to have a cigar around the campfire but my ankles have been broken so many times falling off the wagon that it was really starting to hurt. I can't trust myself with just one so I don't (my weak will I guess). If the government was serious about tabacco use they would make it illegal but they won't due to the cash cow it provides.

Good for you on quitting kbrunlees, i personally wouldnt consider yourself "weak willed" however.. quite the opposite reallly, being able to be around it after you have quit is more of a challenge then some may think, have been trying to quit myself, but not doing oh so well with it yet. Good job

barleyfarmer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well I agree that if we don't do something, say something we are going to be nothing by friggin robots................to those we elect. Read my earlier post...................what is next !!! They are going to start invading our homes.......................can't do this that or the other thing...........can't Bar-B-Q cause the smoke goes into the neighbors yard....................when will it end seriously ?!?!?!?! This is the ch!t it's coming down to will all this bylaw crap..........
Not a big fan of all the bylaws myself but this is for the people smoking with their kids in the vehicle.It's habit that people choose to take up knowing full well that it's not good for you but just don't do it in an enclosed area(vehicle)where a kid can't walk away when it gets to them.It's law that will be nearly impossible to enforce but some people put their god given right to smoke in front of their kids health.I just got back from Edmonton and saw people on the phone and other ones smoking away with kids in the car and windows rolled up!So it will take a while for people to change!I got my license the same year that it was mandatory for seat belts big uproar but in the long run it saved lives.These laws seem to force people to use their heads so in the long run it's probably for the best!

sunshinesmiles

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Here's finally another good example of another dumb By-Law that finally a smart Alderman said is on "the verge of dictatorship"..................

eclipse1966

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Here's finally another good example of another dumb By-Law that finally a smart Alderman said is on "the verge of dictatorship"..................

I think limiting the plastic bags usage is a good idea but not by by-law enforcement. Should be done thru corporate leadership imo.

sunshinesmiles

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My point being...............plastic bags.............where is trying to make us government robots going to end ............

SledMamma

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My point being...............plastic bags.............where is trying to make us government robots going to end ............

And BC is trying to ban teenagers from tanning beds... What did I say??? Next it's the sunscreen bylaw for High UV days... Cuz we are too stupid to figure that out on our own.

Speaking of stupid- here is a prime example of why the gov'ts feel they must legislate common sense: a white truck was seen chasing a moose and her calf down a local street in a very aggressive manner. The calf was later found in a nearby backyard and succumbed to injuries sustained in the chase a short time later. The resulting news release urges citizens of our good town to "never chase wildlife for fun.". ??? Ya... Thanks for the reminder :(

sunshinesmiles

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
And BC is trying to ban teenagers from tanning beds... What did I say??? Next it's the sunscreen bylaw for High UV days... Cuz we are too stupid to figure that out on our own.

Speaking of stupid- here is a prime example of why the gov'ts feel they must legislate common sense: a white truck was seen chasing a moose and her calf down a local street in a very aggressive manner. The calf was later found in a nearby backyard and succumbed to injuries sustained in the chase a short time later. The resulting news release urges citizens of our good town to "never chase wildlife for fun.". ??? Ya... Thanks for the reminder :(

I saw that earlier today and shook my head !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It truly is getting out of hand and if people keep it up and are ok with this they will be robots to our goverment. Why didn't our Aldermen let this pass..........this is about kids too......what we are doing to the environment....are we not supposed to be saving the earth for our children and grandchildren ????? Keeping it green, and recycle !!! Because he's real........he sees this country turning into a dictatorship.........that's why !!!!!!!!!!! Those for this smoking in vehicles By-Law...........do you take your purchased cloth bags to the store all the time.................or use the stores plastic ones they provide.............be real here !!

barleyfarmer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Nothing to do with environment!It's about kids being able to be in a smoke free environment when they go for a ride in a vehicle!Nice spin though!Deflecting the heat!

Winnipeg-Roy

Reaction score
I smoke have for years I smoke in the truck with the kids in sometimes but always have the window down so they don't breath it in and on long trips I try not to smoke very much at all if any but sometimes you do but never smoke in the house and I bet one of you non smokers that don't carry lighters would sure love to have us around when lost in the woods and cold at night with no way to easily start a fire hahaha

barleyfarmer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I smoke have for years I smoke in the truck with the kids in sometimes but always have the window down so they don't breath it in and on long trips I try not to smoke very much at all if any but sometimes you do but never smoke in the house and I bet one of you non smokers that don't carry lighters would sure love to have us around when lost in the woods and cold at night with no way to easily start a fire hahaha
Who would you borrow the lighter from!Most smokers are always asking if they can borrow a lighter!LOL!!!

sunshinesmiles

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Nothing to do with environment!It's about kids being able to be in a smoke free environment when they go for a ride in a vehicle!Nice spin though!Deflecting the heat!

I am not deflecting anything.................simply saying our government keeps making or trying to make these bylaws which are going to turn people into their robots ! Tell me...........................do you take your shopping bag along with you when you go to the store???? You forgot to mention that :)

Top Bottom