Thoughts on new proposed Bylaw

JaySimon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am not deflecting anything.................simply saying our government keeps making or trying to make these bylaws which are going to turn people into their robots ! Tell me...........................do you take your shopping bag along with you when you go to the store???? You forgot to mention that :)

As a dog owner, no. I get the plastic bags, that way when I walk her, I can clean up her poop. Not too keen on using a cloth bag for that... :D:D

barleyfarmer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am not deflecting anything.................simply saying our government keeps making or trying to make these bylaws which are going to turn people into their robots ! Tell me...........................do you take your shopping bag along with you when you go to the store???? You forgot to mention that :)
Never said or implied that I'm an environmentalist!Also I don't think a law about making people not smoke in a vehicle with kids cooped up in it is stupid it's common sense!Were you this worked up when they made it mandatory for kids to wear a helmet riding a bike?Probably not but then again it's common sense!Right!That took away your right to have your kid bang their head on the ground!Stupid law or not?Do you make your kids wear protective equipment when they ride?Probably because it's common sense!Right!Would you be this pissed off if it was mandatory?Why put any protective equipment on your kids when they do anything?You said yourself that smoking is not good for you but you are knowingly doing damage to your kids lungs!!Just because it's not damage that you can put a bandaid on or wash the blood off it is still doing harm to your kids!!And your fooling yourself if you think that you can't smell smoke in a vehicle that has been smoked in,window open or not!!You also seemed pretty proud of starting smoking when you 14, so you've been smoking for a while I'm assuming,so your sense of smell and taste are going to be compromised to be able to tell cigarette smoke anywhere!Don't believe talk to a person who quit smoking about how everything smells and tastes better.I'm not doing a personal attack here I'm just stating facts!Your the one who started this thread and I noticed when you saw that not as many people were on the side of the smokers you tried deflecting it towards how the government is making us all into robots!Some laws are bogus and down right stupid but this isn't one!You should funnel all this emotion into something worth fighting for,this isn't the one!!My wife is a RN in a long term care facility and public health care and is taking care of people who are dying of the effects of smoking!She has not had a smoke ever since she started taking care of these people, it's a sad way to go and is totally preventable!She also has some clients that never smoked a day in their life but were raised in a smoking home and ended up marrying a smoker!And they are dying of lung cancer and biopsies show they have smoker lungs!Sorry if I offended you in any way but what does it take for people to quit smoking?Do you think any kid(of any age) wants to watch their parent die of lung cancer!If you want something to read while your enjoying your next cancer stick you should google
The Lung Association Children & Second-Hand Smoke Enjoy!!!!:nono:

Last edited:

sunshinesmiles

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wow, sure looks like a personal attack to me. Whatever..................I am not proud I started smoking and never said I was proud of this habit. And I myself am a cancer survivor so should know better, but thanks for the lecture. As I stated earlier, along with many others, where are these By-laws going to stop. Yes it is common sense...............so let us use our common sense instead of threating with By-Laws and fines and infringing on people's parenting choices. No one is perfect, and no one always makes the right choices. Everyone, including you has a bad habit..........you start your vehicle everyday......which emmissions go into the air that we all breath in, which is far worse. Anyhow, what it comes down to is when are they going to stop...............I was thankful to see the article in our paper showing about a proposed By-Law being tossed out about plastic bags.................and finally an Alderman admitting we are becoming a dictatorship............wether some can see it or not..................

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
I agree with a childs right to a smoke free environment.... I call BS on those calling BS on the window down eliminating exposure....

In my car a can not smoke with the kids in the car because the windows suck (rather don't suck), but the sun-roof works well, not fully open but just a bout 2" open and with the wifes car or my truck they don't smell it with 1 window cracked at a time (if both are cracked they can smell it). As I stated before we do not smoke in the house, boat, camper etc.. My children would sure as hell tell me if they could smell it, they have before (windows in my car), they want me to quit and someday I will. But for now I provide my children with a smoke free environment and occasionally (long road trips) smoke with them present in the car/truck. if they were to say "Dad I can smell that" then I would put it out.

The very small exposure my children get to cigarette smoke will do no more harm to them than the 2 stroke snowmobile exhaust they are exposed to, or diesel fumes from the truck, or smog, or UV rays, or aspertine, or food preservatives, or frebreeze, or campfires, etc...

we have laws against child abuse, molestation, rights to education etc... and a lot of the time our Police have a hard time enforcing those...you think this law is necessary or enforcable...and if it is should it be a priority?

Smoking has long been banned from public/primetime television because the children might be influenced.... yet reality TV and celebrety gossib shows are OK...

I understand the arguements supporting this bi-law however I view it the same as the .04 BAC amendments, unnecessary and unconstitutional

Why not try enforcing the laws we already have rather than make up new ones... distracted driving=driving without due care & attention, Impaired driving = IMPAIRED driving, Hotboxing you kids in the car = Child endangerment....

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wow, sure looks like a personal attack to me. Whatever..................I am not proud I started smoking and never said I was proud of this habit. And I myself am a cancer survivor so should know better, but thanks for the lecture. As I stated earlier, along with many others, where are these By-laws going to stop. Yes it is common sense...............so let us use our common sense instead of threating with By-Laws and fines and infringing on people's parenting choices. No one is perfect, and no one always makes the right choices. Everyone, including you has a bad habit..........you start your vehicle everyday......which emmissions go into the air that we all breath in, which is far worse. Anyhow, what it comes down to is when are they going to stop...............I was thankful to see the article in our paper showing about a proposed By-Law being tossed out about plastic bags.................and finally an Alderman admitting we are becoming a dictatorship............wether some can see it or not..................

If people used common sense the law wouldn't be in place. If no one ever drove past a car with a parent chain smoking all sealed up with kids in the backseat they never would of though of this law in the first place......

fargineyesore

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So do those of you that support this law also think the government should tell parents what they can feed their children? Look at all the articles about childhood obesity we see these days. Isn't that also a health hazard? Isn't it just as irresponsible to allow children to eat too much junk food, drink too much pop, lay around with no exercise, etc? What's the difference?

barleyfarmer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So do those of you that support this law also think the government should tell parents what they can feed their children? Look at all the articles about childhood obesity we see these days. Isn't that also a health hazard? Isn't it just as irresponsible to allow children to eat too much junk food, drink too much pop, lay around with no exercise, etc? What's the difference?
There is no difference.No one wants to make time to cook a meal anymore!It will come to that if people don't adjust their habits!Most kids probably eat out more than they do at home!Sad but probably true!

storm1972

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
As a dog owner, no. I get the plastic bags, that way when I walk her, I can clean up her poop. Not too keen on using a cloth bag for that... :D:D
Care to come on by and teach the neighborhood idiots this art..... nuttin smells worse at this time of year then the thawing out of 3 month old dog chit

sunshinesmiles

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Those who think our government isn't screwed up when it comes to allowing us to parent our kids...................have a read............

sunshinesmiles

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
See Mr. Peanut Gallery...................moved on to another post to preach on, one I posted above.......See what the Government is doing..............to parents and kids.............trying to dictate to us how our kids are raised..................like fargineyesore said above...........why are they not policing those who let their kids eat them out of house and home............and are so obese..............I know a boy here who just broke his femer bone trying to change after swimming.........he's 12, same age as my son and weights about 225 pounds..............where my son weights in about 90 pounds............and me at 41 weights 102 pounds........................like jezzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
See Mr. Peanut Gallery...................moved on to another post to preach on, one I posted above.......See what the Government is doing..............to parents and kids.............trying to dictate to us how our kids are raised..................like fargineyesore said above...........why are they not policing those who let their kids eat them out of house and home............and are so obese..............I know a boy here who just broke his femer bone trying to change after swimming.........he's 12, same age as my son and weights about 225 pounds..............where my son weights in about 90 pounds............and me at 41 weights 102 pounds........................like jezzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Maybe because the gov't tries to give kids a chance and help them out where they can like the smoking bylaw, whereas the food issue is nearly impossible. They are trying like tax breaks if enrolled in exercise, and more in schools, I don't know what else you can ask for? You want the gov't to try to force kids to eat better, but in another post you don't want them saying what you can and can't do with your kids? Plain and simple anyone who thinks it's ok to expose kids to 2nd hand smoke is retarded and shouldn't be allowed to have kids.

The thing I find funny to is when people say the weight, as if it's the only way to determine being in shape. They are many kids that look "in-shape" and at risk the most. If you have good metabolism you will not gain weight but can still be extremely unhealthy. And the flip side, if your a bit overweight it doesn't mean your not in shape.

Top Bottom