Thinking carbon fibre and need opinions

assaultn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Seriously thinking about full c3 setup and by full I mean everything they can build as well as alt impact a arms and skid components to try bring the xm around the 400lbs mark but started thinking I will be shedding about the same amount of weight as a tank of fuel and my jerry can. I dont really know if I notice a difference in climbing or how I can throw it around from full to empty. I've went the big hp route before and really want to try the light weight route but could I be expecting too much out of this? Any input would be great. Thanks fellas.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Seriously thinking about full c3 setup and by full I mean everything they can build as well as alt impact a arms and skid components to try bring the xm around the 400lbs mark but started thinking I will be shedding about the same amount of weight as a tank of fuel and my jerry can. I dont really know if I notice a difference in climbing or how I can throw it around from full to empty. I've went the big hp route before and really want to try the light weight route but could I be expecting too much out of this? Any input would be great. Thanks fellas.

Remove headlights and taillights and other non-essential parts, get a can and a lightweight hood and swap your suspension arms front and rear to titanium or Chromoly and u will have probably lost about 1/2 the weight right there. Port track gun drill shafts, get lightweight billet gears or a belt drive. Take weight off the easy stuff and grab that low hanging fruit, get rid of/address the heaviest things first, these will be where your biggest and easiest gains are. Having lightweight means nothing if its weak. Used to be a guy around here with a 400 lb rev, replaced all rivets with Ti rivets etc etc, drilled holes in everything.

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had an older CF chassis and it's not a road I would be chomping at the bit to go down again. If you want to ride it for a season or two then flip it maybe but any longer than that and the chassis starts to show pretty good structural wear. I was pretty impressed with the CF work from Patrick's though, a whole nother level IMO. I think Modman nailed it, there is a lot of low hanging fruit on the XM like Ti cans, mesh hoods, Ti A-arms, PB80, ceramic pipes, aftermarket skids etc. I would think you could drop 50# off one pretty easily and then big bore it with no weight penalty like a turbo.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had an older CF chassis and it's not a road I would be chomping at the bit to go down again. If you want to ride it for a season or two then flip it maybe but any longer than that and the chassis starts to show pretty good structural wear. I was pretty impressed with the CF work from Patrick's though, a whole nother level IMO. I think Modman nailed it, there is a lot of low hanging fruit on the XM like Ti cans, mesh hoods, Ti A-arms, PB80, ceramic pipes, aftermarket skids etc. I would think you could drop 50# off one pretty easily and then big bore it with no weight penalty like a turbo.
If you drop 50 lbs off it, no need for a BB IMO. Conservative #'s: 425 lb sled with 160 HP is 2.65 lbs/HP, with 50 lbs more (475 lb sled / 2.65 lbs/HP (same power to weight) = 180HP. So dropping the weight is like adding a BB. :) Also, taking the weight off is sprung weight, so sled will ride better and take less input effort to make it turn, sidehill, carve, etc. Sled floats better due to decreased pressure (PSI) on the snow. Rider is less tired at end of day. Big bore would be awesome but not going to be more than 185 HP for most 880 kits, unless you go with the 950 that's coming...LOL Now if u got the $$$, lose the weight and do the BB, pretty close with the turbos then, micku showed that it can be done.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not sure but a p 85 polaris clutch I put on my RT was about 4 pounds lighter. Also my crank stub broke off 1000 km later. Must of been cut on a bad taper I think

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you drop 50 lbs off it, no need for a BB IMO. Conservative #'s: 425 lb sled with 160 HP is 2.65 lbs/HP, with 50 lbs more (475 lb sled / 2.65 lbs/HP (same power to weight) = 180HP. So dropping the weight is like adding a BB. :) Also, taking the weight off is sprung weight, so sled will ride better and take less input effort to make it turn, sidehill, carve, etc. Sled floats better due to decreased pressure (PSI) on the snow. Rider is less tired at end of day. Big bore would be awesome but not going to be more than 185 HP for most 880 kits, unless you go with the 950 that's coming...LOL Now if u got the $$$, lose the weight and do the BB, pretty close with the turbos then, micku showed that it can be done.
Yeah that's pretty much what I was getting at. BB doesn't add weight so it's a big improvement on the power to weight. A turbo costs a lot more and is probably close to a 30# weight penalty.

4x4racing

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My carbon fibre rev wouldn't hold up to my riding to weak snapped the back of the tunnel off but was fun while it lasted

fredw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Building a carbon chassie now for the 880ptec, went that way over the etec for the weight savings, from what I learned from the turbo chassie build, this build should be close to 40lbs lighter with out turbo and the extra etec engine weight...

I find that it just raises the fun factor when your able to throw the sled around that much easier, able to take steeper and more aggressive lines, and so much easier on you when you get hung up...

Have had the carbon chassie on the turbo last few years now and ran over a few trees, also being so light it becomes first choice to roll in out of a hole, instead of pulling on skis... So far seen no cracks or problem areas... Very strong material for its weight

sledrat403

Reaction score
I dropped a solid 30lbs off my XM this year and added mayby 6hp for under $2k

I don't want to derail this thread... but what mods got you 30lbs other than a can? Anything different than what modman listed above? Thanks

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't want to derail this thread... but what mods got you 30lbs other than a can? Anything different than what modman listed above? Thanks
Looking at his sig the hood and full exhaust took care of most the 30#.

oler1234

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just got it all back together 33.5lbs to be exact. That's between the hood, pipe set, large dia. cold air intake, and freaks thermostat. The front end actually feels lighter than my 08... FINALLY! But the ass end still feels heavier even after pulling all the wheels. I am thinking shocks are to blame.

fredw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Baker sent me a few pictures of this years goodies, his new light weight hood is going to be a real winner I think

picked up a carbon skid the other day from Nexteck.... Dam is it light, broke my digital scale, but he said just over 30 lbs ready to be mounted

MenzToys

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.menztoys.com
I did the slp y-pipe, pipe, and can 16.1 pounds and our polycarbonate hood just under 12 pounds savings for about $1000 total definitely noticed a difference in the front end thx wayne

Top Bottom