They sure make it tough to get into dirt biking

sledhead5000

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.pdotsledding.com
I'm a long time sledder on the site but recently got talked into buying a dirt bike (while seeing double on St Paddy's Day) and am now finding out how much of a pain in the ass it is in Alberta. I'm looking for some help or suggestions and whether or not I'm doing this right.

So far, I need:
Registration, ~$50/year, which requires proof of insurance.

Insurance has been a bitch to find so far because I don't have a class 6 and don't plan on getting one this year. Its 2 wheeled quad, why the f*ck do I need a license for it on trails?

Anyways, I found ONE place, after an hour of calling that will do 3rd party Liability for $266/year. Seems kinda nuts. I pay 1/3 of that to insure my quad for liability/fire/theft. Can anyone suggest a good insurance broker?

The bike is a WR and has headlights, turn signals, speedo etc. It should be road legal right? Where do I go to get that certified for the registry or will they even care?

Thanks,

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That could be your issue. You are trying to insure and register a street legal bike without your license.

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Did you ask them how much it would cost if you had your class 6? No one is going to take your word for it that you will use it only for off road use.

sledhead5000

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.pdotsledding.com
Getting my class 6 will cost ~$600 ($450 for the course, $137 for the test).
Cost with my class 6 for just 3rd party liability is $168/year
Cost without is $266.
Basically works out to paying for itself in 6 years...

Other considerations, I am buying a WR250 bike, which might be road legal if the VIN has the right digits (still confirming). So if that checks out, then I'll definitely go the class 6 route. If not, I don't know, I might try out the sport for a year with the $266 before deciding on getting the class 6.

250mark1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
pretty sure the wr 250 were never road legal form the factory at least. someone might have had it inspected if the registration from the previous owner says motorcycle on it you should be good to go on the street ( if it has brake lights,signal lights and DOT tires )if it says off road it would not be street legal
my insurance is 350.00 a year for PL/PD/ and comprehensive fire theft vandalism (td insurance) dirt bike insurance cost more due to the liabiltiy the insurance companies take on due to injury claims etc from what they told me it does not matter if it is street legal or not for the pricing per year (my KTM is street legal)

also if you know how to ride a dirt bike get the online govt of alberta motorcycle learners book and take the written test and the road test
no need for a course

sledhead5000

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.pdotsledding.com
Thanks, I did some more digging. Turns out a WR250-R is road legal from the factory, but the WR250-F is not road legal despite having all the turn signals and other crap. The difference is in the frame design, and there is no way to certify an F for on-road use. So basically, I'm screwed with the WR250F for the time being, which means there's no point to getting my class 6 and I'll have to pay the $266.

My quad costs me $102/year for liability, fire, theft, etc. I couldn't figure out why the dirt bike would be so much more (its essentially a 2-wheeled quad), but if it's injuries, then fair enough, makes sense.

somethingnuw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
there is a guy on snow and mud from Darson's insurance in Edmonton... his name is Brad advertises on here all the time... great guy loves our riding sports... he know's the issues and he would be my first phone call if you had questions... pm if you can't find his number...

Top Bottom