There Should be More Focus on this Type of Green Energy

nast70

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
'World's most powerful tidal turbine' gears up for operation (msn.com)

I saw a documentary on Discovery about the lab in Scotland. Anyone who has a working prototype can hook up to the lab for testing. The most promising I thought was more or less a big barge with a pendulum that would swing around in the swells. Minimal infrastructure, engineering, and maintenance. Nothing in the water that needs to be looked after or be a hazard to marine life.

Flapjack

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Why not right

iirc transfering the power to shore lost a lot of power.

With modern ion dry cell batteries maybe they could charge a huge floating battery and periodically change it out ?

S.W.A.T.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When do glory holds become charging stations?

Asking for a friend

S.W.A.T.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When do glory holds become charging stations?

Asking for a friend

Flapjack

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Growing up I lived in Revy when they built it.

I could always hear the trains and as everybody knows the Roger's Pass is a pretty hard pull and even harder decent.

Way back then I thought it was a waste of energy coming down, the engines are already electric so why not power the slave engines with battery cars ?

Charge up slowing the train down the Pass, boost for the climb. Seems simple. IDK

fredw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
'World's most powerful tidal turbine' gears up for operation (msn.com)

I saw a documentary on Discovery about the lab in Scotland. Anyone who has a working prototype can hook up to the lab for testing. The most promising I thought was more or less a big barge with a pendulum that would swing around in the swells. Minimal infrastructure, engineering, and maintenance. Nothing in the water that needs to be looked after or be a hazard to marine life.

Always thought the same thing with tides.. gotta be a efficient way to make energy out of it

52weekbreak

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Growing up I lived in Revy when they built it.

I could always hear the trains and as everybody knows the Roger's Pass is a pretty hard pull and even harder decent.

Way back then I thought it was a waste of energy coming down, the engines are already electric so why not power the slave engines with battery cars ?

Charge up slowing the train down the Pass, boost for the climb. Seems simple. IDK

This works: Empty up and loaded down https://www.popularmechanics.com/te...6/worlds-largest-electric-vehicle-dump-truck/

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The tide kicks the crap out of anything mechanical put in its way. The Bay of Fundy has been a test bed for Tidal Power for decades, yet no commercial power plants have been setup there. Many of the prototypes that have been installed have either been destroyed or swept away by the currents in anywhere from a few hours to a few months. If the equipment could stand up to these conditions however, the possibilities are endless.

France has one of the most effective tidal power installations (Rance Tidal Power Station), and has been operating since 1966. The key difference is this facility uses a dam to block the bay from the ocean, forcing the water to flow through turbines similar to those of a low-head hydro-electric dam. A system that is not feasible in the Bay of Fundy.

Wave power has also been tried with a similar result, the relentless bashing of the waves eventually breaks everything mechanical. Long worm like floating pontoons were even tried that had hinges between segments, hydraulic cylinders were installed on the hinges to capture energy from the motion of the "worm" floating over the swells, quickly the hinges or hydraulics broke, ending with hydraulic fluid being spilled into the ocean. One of the more promising ideas is an air powered wave capture device built on the shore line, where waves create an air pressure difference which powers a turbine, like below:

20090219-1.jpg

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The tide kicks the crap out of anything mechanical put in its way. The Bay of Fundy has been a test bed for Tidal Power for decades, yet no commercial power plants have been setup there. Many of the prototypes that have been installed have either been destroyed or swept away by the currents in anywhere from a few hours to a few months. If the equipment could stand up to these conditions however, the possibilities are endless.

France has one of the most effective tidal power installations (Rance Tidal Power Station), and has been operating since 1966. The key difference is this facility uses a dam to block the bay from the ocean, forcing the water to flow through turbines similar to those of a low-head hydro-electric dam. A system that is not feasible in the Bay of Fundy.

Wave power has also been tried with a similar result, the relentless bashing of the waves eventually breaks everything mechanical. Long worm like floating pontoons were even tried that had hinges between segments, hydraulic cylinders were installed on the hinges to capture energy from the motion of the "worm" floating over the swells, quickly the hinges or hydraulics broke, ending with hydraulic fluid being spilled into the ocean. One of the more promising ideas is an air powered wave capture device built on the shore line, where waves create an air pressure difference which powers a turbine, like below:

https://energy.mit.edu/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/20090219-1.jpg

This is another style....

https://youtu.be/9hN3dBpPu8Q

Top Bottom