The Notch

jaredszakacs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey Jared....the china wall is just the back end of the notch that drops off the world..the cliff basically....p.s. send me that pic off your iphone that you showed me in peaks!!!haha

haha thanks for that i wasnt sure heard a few things but thanks for clearing it up dobir hahaaha I just may be able to do that lol

neddacsac

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sunday was a good one!!:d

Attachments

• DSC00090.jpg
    DSC00090.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 376
  • DSC00093.jpg
    DSC00093.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 384
  • DSC00094.jpg
    DSC00094.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 380
  • DSC00096.jpg
    DSC00096.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 373

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Sunday was a good one!!:d

I think I passed you guys sitting on a little knoll (seemed like Ian's cat was there and the others were black) in the Rolling Hills. There were 5 of us with a lady in a pink jacket bringing up the rear and we were on our way to the cabin.

Maybe or maybe not.....there were a lot of riders out there.

neddacsac

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I dont think that was us. We took a quick poke into sh!t creek then spent the rest of the day in the notch. How was the snow in rolling hills?:beer:

ronmexico

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anybody know what conditions are like around the rolling hills and notch with all the warm weather fernie has been getting? Thinking about coming down for a rip wed & thurs but worried about all this warm weather ruining the snow.

cat girl

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Has been pouring rain IN Fernie for last few days, tin shack to wranglers was about average but get off pipeline before cabin was best after getting off pipeline. My hubby and his buddy are telling me this as I type..they just got back early due to not so awesome snow..damn rain!

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
hey guys 4 of us are heading out from fort sask tomorrow to ride how is the snow

The Coal Creek trail is groomed. We did a double groom today to get rid of the moguls and chew up some of the ice. Turned out well. Will groom again on Friday night.

Snow at the Summit is crusty but deep; don't know if it was wind, sun crust, or the moisture. There was no rain at the Summit. Lots of untracked snow.

I'm thinking the trees in the Rolling Hills will be sweet and the avi risk is very minimal. The Notch, I'm not as confident because of the PWL and the additional storm snow.

Last edited:

polarice

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The Coal Creek trail is groomed. We did a double groom today to get rid of the moguls and chew up some of the ice. Turned out well. Will groom again on Friday night.

Snow at the Summit is crusty but deep; don't know if it was wind, sun crust, or the moisture. There was no rain at the Summit. Lots of untracked snow.

I'm thinking the trees in the Rolling Hills will be sweet and the avi risk is very minimal. The Notch, I'm as confident because of the PWL and the additional storm snow.

good news

double a ron

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me how to get to coal creek / rolling hill riding areas? I have been reading about them, but haven't been in that area before. Are there any maps?

Thanks,
Aaron

Summit X

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
you need to go through town, make a few turns, and stage at the on coal creek road. see attached map.
there are also snowmobile staging signs along the way pointing you in the right direction.

Attachments

• coal_creek_staging.jpg
    coal_creek_staging.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 309
  • coal_creek_staging2.jpg
    coal_creek_staging2.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 312

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
One more, where do you stage at "tin shacks" to ride pipeline and the notch?

The Coal Creek trail was groomed twice on Wednesday and will be groomed again tonight (Friday). That's 30km+ to the cabin and a much smoother ride than the pipeline. From the cabin it is 16km of bumps to the Notch. But, each to their own....

Summit X

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
agreed, go in from the coal ck road.

if you need to get the tin shack though... you need to turn up the corbin mine rd. it is in the middle of the (not active) construction site on hwy 3 between blairmore and sparwood. see attached!!

Attachments

• Tin_Shack.jpg
    Tin_Shack.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 297
  • Tin_Shack2.jpg
    Tin_Shack2.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 295
  • Tin_Shack3.JPG
    Tin_Shack3.JPG
    36.2 KB · Views: 295

sledhead800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
One more, where do you stage at "tin shacks" to ride pipeline and the notch?

if i were u i would just go to fernie and ride the nice trail man that pipeline is the sh*ts..from now on i am going to fernie to get back to the rolling hills and sum other play areas...

double a ron

Reaction score
Thanks to all for their help, rode from coal creek parking spot, being a virgin to the area I don't think we found the best areas, but did ride in fresh by ourselves for most of the day, only saw a few other riders but the trail down was beat and there were a ton of trucks in the lot, so I guess I need to hook up with a local to find out where they were all riding.

We just stayed in the hills, most of the fresh was in the trees in the south west portion, or so I think.

Thanks again, it was a good day......

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Thanks to all for their help, rode from coal creek parking spot, being a virgin to the area I don't think we found the best areas, but did ride in fresh by ourselves for most of the day, only saw a few other riders but the trail down was beat and there were a ton of trucks in the lot, so I guess I need to hook up with a local to find out where they were all riding.

We just stayed in the hills, most of the fresh was in the trees in the south west portion, or so I think.

Thanks again, it was a good day......

If you rode on Sat., that was a group going to the cabin on a moonlight ride.

You just need to go back and venture forth from where you've been. It will all come together!

PS most trails get pounded after 100 sleds have been over them! It will be smooth again Monday night!

Top Bottom