Tether install on 2014 M8000

Cowboyup083

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Installing a tether on my 2014 m8000, the arctic cat instruction aren't much help.

Trying to find which wiring harness to plug the tether switch into. I can't seem to find it.

if somebody can help me out that would be great.

TROLLCAT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Installing a tether on my 2014 m8000, the arctic cat instruction aren't much help.

Trying to find which wiring harness to plug the tether switch into. I can't seem to find it.

if somebody can help me out that would be great.
You have to pull the gas tank/seat off to get at the harness and headlite gauge assembly to drill the hole for the tether

Cat401

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That plug can be tough to find and harder to get access to it unless you have small dainty hands....lol

look behind the antifreeze tank...should be strapped to main harness behind the tank

Cowboyup083

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have everything off but the tank, I didn't want to remove the fuel tank if I didn't have to.

Cowboyup083

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I will take look behind the antifreeze tank, might need to bring the little one out to help me with her small hands to reach it.

Chump

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Mine on my 13 was zip tied up by the steering colum. Had to pull of top hood to get at it.

X-Treme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.robinsautomotive.ca
There's a REALLY good write up on it on Snowest with a chit ton of pics. If you just google the part number for the tether, it'll come up. Best to remove the secondary clutch to get access to that plug.

Cowboyup083

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There's a REALLY good write up on it on Snowest with a chit ton of pics. If you just google the part number for the tether, it'll come up. Best to remove the secondary clutch to get access to that plug.
I have seen the article on snowest it is for a 2012. In the instruction it show a different plug for the 14 then then 12-13

Cowboyup083

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks Cat401 and X-treme for the help. I had to pull the fuel tank to get behind the coolant tank and there sit the harness I was looking for.

Newgen

Reaction score
I'm not a big fan of where they suggest to install the actual tether tho. Might move mine up by my speedo/tach

Cat401

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You'll have to do a MAJOR extending of wires to move it. There's barely enough wire to put it where they want it, let alone moving it a foot further away.

I would think it is best to mount at or behind the steering post. If you mount it near the gauges, wouldn't it cause issues by getting caught on the bars as you are moving form side to side?

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
Ours are mounted on the left side of the body panels near the fuel tank. I'd show you photo's but the sled are at the dealer awaiting my pickup Saturday.

bigdog67

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Installed the oem tether on my 13 M8 and now I get a ECU 12 code. Any ideas would help on what would cause it and how to fix the problem.Dealer says its a coil failure.

northof40

Reaction score
I can't remember what the cat one had on if for wiring but you can tap into the wires shown below - pic is from one of the other tether threads on SW.. I did my pro design like this in the harness behind the motor, But we've done a few that we just tap into the wiring harness in front of the bars for easy access.

35n7eon.png

Top Bottom