T3 vs Axys

Demon700

Reaction score
I rode a 155 Axys with the 3" a couple weeks ago, he only had about 150 miles on it. I thought overall the sled was great, the engine was a lot smoother and felt more powerful then the outgoing engine. I am not sure if it had the same top end pull like an E-tec (I have a 2015 T3 153 and 2015 SP 146). I had a 2016 T3 154 to compare against as well as an 2015 154 X with a 3" and 7 tooth drivers in it. They all seemed very close really. I diod notice that the new Axys became more front end light then the old Pro, not a huge amount but it was there. I thought it was a nice blend between the T3 and too much front in the air and the Pro with a lot less front in the air. I did notice the ski stance felt wider the a Doo for sure, Polaris could narrow it up to like a 37-39 and that would be great. It is lighter for sure, I got it stuck a few times and it was noticeably easier to lift then the T3. The running boards to chassis feel is hands down the best as far as I am concerned, rigid and when you put body input into them they transfer it. I guess that is a bit of the difference between Poo and Doo, Poo relies on the rider input through the rear chassis more and Doo relies on body input from the bars and weight shift, both work well. The one thing that I dont like about the Axys is the A-arms I have seem double digit broken and bent ones this year. Almost 1 set per ride I see someone have issue! Those needs to be corrected.

Overall I really liked it! I know for sure I wouldn't trade my 163 x3 in for a 155/154 by 3, it is amazing what a bit of track can do! But the 154/155 does make for a fun sled to throw around and the best of both worlds kinda thing. It will be interesting next yeaar to see what Doo does and what Poo has learnt from this year.

FranktheTank

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Frank if you don't have a Turbo Yamaha I would not worry yourself about it being "relevant".

Just see them as a complete waste of time. All the Yamaha die hards I have met not one of them can give me one good reason why they are still worth spending money on and time but they do. Baffles me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vipertonytro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just see them as a complete waste of time. All the Yamaha die hards I have met not one of them can give me one good reason why they are still worth spending money on and time but they do. Baffles me.

Well I will give one good reason for me! 2008 $40,000 in total. I don't know for sure but well over 10,000km on it. When the snow is deep its the only sled I'll run. Its also the only sled that runs consistent every time I pull it out. Its the only one that doesn't eat belts, and its the only one thats not junk and worthless after 5000kms. Don't get me wrong I love riding my other sleds too but My Nytro was bought and built in the fall of 2007 making it going on its 9th winter and has way more life in it than any of my other sleds. So buy a new 2 stroke every second year at $15,000 or build another four stroke? If this one ever wears out I will build another for sure but in the mean time Ill enjoy all of them. Cant really see how it is a waste of time. They all have a purpose.

As for the original question I always liked my XM's better than my ProRmk. But rode with a T3 and a new Axys side by side in belly button deep powder before Christmas and was quite impressed with the new Axys. In my opinion it got up on the snow better than the T3 Both 163's. Still can't handle the school bus steering but they have come a long way from the Pro chassis.

Last edited:

birdie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Had a two day ride on each sled 1 weekend apart on the New Axys 163 3" and then my Doo 174 3"
Yea I know the difference in the sled length is not the same but here is my take

Bars on the Axys are not as friendly to the rider and require more work Again Doo bars fit better to the rider to sled
Hand warmer on the Doo are far superior Axys are just ok
Motor is strong on the Axys and feels stronger in the bottom end of the throttle but at wide open the doo feel like it pulls harder Both very good engines May be closer than ever Doo still feels like it pulls harder
Axys pulls the same from the bottom to top of rpm where the doo is harder pull from half way to top rpm
I like the running boards on the Axys only after riding for a day, at first I did not and then oh yea loved them
On the Axys I still donot care for the bar across the top of the foot in the far forward stance when your feet are all the way forward Its not needed imo
Dash read out module for the Axys is very easy to read and love the read out of the rpm and temp in big letters Doo can learn from this set up
The T3 in my opinion tips over easier at the start from flat and then I believe once you are 25% over the Axys is easier and will require less effort when moving it around in a side hill movement
I would say the Axys holds a tight side hill more direct and very little wash out
The Doo requires more rider in put to take that same line across a slope
The Axys ski's stay flatter on the snow where Doo ski's are darting around more than the Axys Its not that the doo is out of control as I am used to a doo but the pro is more stable on trail and off
Storage on the Axys is very poor Doo beats them big time hear
Fit and finish goes to the doo
Gas can and storage bags are hands down better on the Doo
Doo starts harder The axis pulls over easier Both start about the same in terms as in first time every time
Oil consumption is about the same maybe with the Doo ahead a little Gas mileage depends on the rider using the throttle
Racing down the trail the Axys holds a line better and and Doo tips up and feels a little more out of control compared to the Pro

Both are good sleds and rider input will play far more advantage than the sled itself
The average riders today are very fortunate where they can go because of these type's of sleds
It may come down to dealer service as to what a person buys and brand loyalty

imo

Birdie

Bernoff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Young - Gun runs a 174 t3 on low boost and is impressive for sure.
2 stroke turbos are more reliable than the 4 strokes now a days?!?!?

How those 4stroke machines are even relevant now a days is beyond me.

Frank if you don't have a Turbo Yamaha I would not worry yourself about it being "relevant"
I have a T3 174 and a T Viper I enjoy both, but nothing like Turbo 4Stroke Power. You trench down a 174 T3 and its just as bad to get unstuck as the viper - My Viper is a 162 3"PC and has a few lightweight parts tho.
In all honesty a Low boost 174 T3 (or stock ) is a very impressive toy and can go more places than I'm willing to go - but what do I know I run a Doo.....

The later '16 got a different rotating assembly, suppose to fit engines across the whole line up(side by sides/watercraft). Yamaha doesn't sell a factory turbo sled, they do sell a bolt kit @ the dealer level. But its only 180hp, nothing more. MCX is not selling 270 kits for later '16 engines, they figured out the issue couple months ago. Why would Yamaha do anything about it? Engine will live @ 135hp all day long, as likely 99% of there sleds are sold in the east for trails. The aftermarket world is building stronger rods, but that's going to take awhile. This is from the Yamaha section.

Demon700

Reaction score
Good review Birdie...I found it all very similar to what you said. I ride a 2015 163 T3. The Axys boards are awesome for sure!

I installed an Ez-ryde carve skid in mine this year....and all that more rider input and wash goes away. It takes a while to set it up and find the sweet spot...but if you want to see the full benefit of a 3inch with the Etec power....WOW!! Climbing straight up...little bit of difference. Getting into the sidehills, "tech riding" as people like to call it, there is a big difference. Ski-doo needs to solve that rear suspension and learn what track approach/attack angle and transfer actually do!

tstams

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.crashheadz.com
I have owned a skidoo and own a Polaris it's all on what your personal preference is the new axys is awesome I think the fit and finish is on par with the skidoo, the power I believe is also on par, to me it's at the end of the day I ride my father's axys or I ride my 174 turbo pro rmk,I don't feel like I had to work the sled all day and on the skidoo I feel like I did.

Top Bottom