Sympatex vs GoreTex - Helium vs Klim

Marley

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Going to buy new gear for this year. Looking at Ski-Doo's Helium 50 (Sympatex) and Klim mountain stuff (GoreTex).
Breathability is probably the single most important aspect followed by durability.

I have Klim gloves which are great but seem not tough enough in the palm area - I have a couple slits in them after one season.
Have Klim boots and they have been great - always warm and dry (except for when getting lost and stuck in a deep creek with the sun going down).

Anyone have a rabid opinion about either...?

etecheaven

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i have been so happy with klim i really have not had a reason to go elsewhere. boots, gloves, pants, jacket, socks........ im ready for my klim cover shoot.

One complaint has been my klim powercross gloves which are awesome on the cooler days always warm but not to bulky, but any day warm with wet snow and they get soaked. I dont know of any glove that could beat that test though. Thats why i ride with multiple sets of gloves on those day.

Beels

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Going to buy new gear for this year. Looking at Ski-Doo's Helium 50 (Sympatex) and Klim mountain stuff (GoreTex).
Breathability is probably the single most important aspect followed by durability.

I have Klim gloves which are great but seem not tough enough in the palm area - I have a couple slits in them after one season.
Have Klim boots and they have been great - always warm and dry (except for when getting lost and stuck in a deep creek with the sun going down).

Anyone have a rabid opinion about either...?

Are you limited to those 2 brands exclusively, or will you consider something else? If so, have a real good look at Motorfist. I can't say enough about any of the Motorfist stuff I currently wear. Had Klim and Tobe prior to it, so I'm not just blowing smoke.

Marley

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Are you limited to those 2 brands exclusively, or will you consider something else? If so, have a real good look at Motorfist. I can't say enough about any of the Motorfist stuff I currently wear. Had Klim and Tobe prior to it, so I'm not just blowing smoke.

I'm not stuck on either or any for that matter - if Marks Workwear made a product that worked for me I'd buy it there...! I don't mind spending more to get something that works. Last year I tried all different gear that I have - Fox enduro jacket, North Face Gore Tex parka etc. What I found is that I like chest and back ventilation the best. Underarm vents just didn't seem to work. I haven't seen Motorfist stuff but I'll check it out.

Raz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I pulled the trigger on a helium 30 jacket and motorfist pants and boots this year. Klim just didn't fit me very well. I love the gear I bought. Riverside in St. Albert still has some helium gear from last year at 50% off!! Great deal.

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was going to try the helium series but ended up getting some last year Klim stuff half price. How can you go wrong.

Just remember whatever you go with, your base layers are just as important. If you want your outter wear to work, don't wear cotton. Cotton will kill the performance of year gear. Those synthetic base layers everyone makes now are alright but the best is still wool. I don't mean your grannies wool sweater or old man's wool socks either. High quality wool products will keep you dryer and warmer.

Sent from my HTC-Z710a using Tapatalk 2

Marley

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Last year I had under armour type base layer then a 'technical' fleece layer and then tried a bunch of different jackets. When you "high quality wool" - do you have any products or brands that you would recommend?

I was going to try the helium series but ended up getting some last year Klim stuff half price. How can you go wrong.

Just remember whatever you go with, your base layers are just as important. If you want your outter wear to work, don't wear cotton. Cotton will kill the performance of year gear. Those synthetic base layers everyone makes now are alright but the best is still wool. I don't mean your grannies wool sweater or old man's wool socks either. High quality wool products will keep you dryer and warmer.

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Last year I had under armour type base layer then a 'technical' fleece layer and then tried a bunch of different jackets. When you "high quality wool" - do you have any products or brands that you would recommend?

I use Icebreaker. It's not cheap but neither is sledding. Biggest thing for me is I can wear the same base layers for a few days and it doesn't smell like underarmour.

Ibex is another quality brand. There are a few others but you may get bashed for supporting tree huggers if you mention their products.

C of Red

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Icebreaker base and mid layers are absolutley unbelievable, but costly as a previous person posted. You cant go wrong with Helly Hansen either. For out her layer I'm a fan of my FXR jacket, but it sure isn't the same quality as Klim.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
MotorFist and Klim are the two big players.

MotorFist is making big inroads and their gear is pleasing a lot of riders.

Both have great warranties on their gear. Klim (guaranteed to keep you dry) is backed up with a water test to prove the claimed leakage (whether it be elbows, butt, or wherever). The guys are very happy with MotorFist and zipper failure or poor construction warranty (i have never heard of peeps complaining about getting wet with MotorFist but that's just me……).

As for under layers, it has been presented well in my mind and I don't need to go into anymore detail……….I wear polyester and it works very well but if it is -20C or lower, I will wait for a couple days cause I know it will change.

I wear Klim and have for years (started with Klim before MotorFist came on the market). I am dry and warm and so far the warranty keeps me going back.

tantrumpipeline

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Love my motorfist gear, warranty is the best in the business, price is cheaper than klim, not that my klim wasn't good but when my pants started to get my ass wet I sent them in and not only did it take 6 weeks to see them they were only dry for an additional 2 months, gave up, switched to motorfist and went head to to with them so I could really see the difference and so far I'm overly impressed, and not only did they warranty a jacket last season I got a full replacement from a dealer in another city I've never previously dealt with so no down time from gear, the new test will be is my motorfist helmet better than the klim..... Already it's about half the weight and a better fit, also a built in helmet cam mount but no real substantial venting for spring, but my used helmet sold for more than I paid for a new motorfist one so that's a plus, I think they're all good but IMO motorfist is the leader and in time they will surpass the rest, I heard a rumor the lineup will be getting colorful soon too, if you're into that sort of thing haha

farmerger

Reaction score
+1 on the Merino wool, works well when its cold or when you get warm. Also keeps you warm should you get wet.

How is the motorfist stuff for for availability throughout the season? Seems that unless you are in the store when the one and only Klim shipment arrives for the year you're out of luck. How do they fit size wise, looking at their size table they equate an XL pants to a 36, is that the same 36 I would buy in my jeans?

Last edited:

tantrumpipeline

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
+1 on the Merino wool, works well when its cold or when you get warm. Also keeps you warm should you get wet.

How is the motorfist stuff for for availability throughout the season? Seems that unless you are in the store when the one and only Klim shipment arrives for the year you're out of luck. How do they fit size wise, looking at their size table they equate an XL pants to a 36, is that the same 36 I would buy in my jeans?
Availability is good usually a few days worst care scenario and the guys at RTR in Kamloops are pretty good to deal with they are the dealer that replaced my jacket I bought in Beaverlodge alberta

Bisch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I bought the Helium 30 jacket and so far love it! At least there is a lot of choice so you can get something that fits really well, and has endurance for our sport. I know many will have preferences and good warranty experiences etc., but I don't think you can go wrong with any of the high quality gear out there. The Sympatex material looks like it will be as good or better than Gore-tex, but time will tell. gore-tex has been around for a really long time, largely unchallenged by other fabrics.

T-team

"big deal"
Reaction score
Did someone here say motor first is a big player? I have a friend that wears motor fist and he hates it!! Sympatex is the MOST breathable by far... It is very very underestimated and going going to take over IMO..... It's 100% waterproof and wind proof... And unlike gortex it stretches..... Huge plus as the more you work and the harder you work... The more the membrane opens up. I was always a huge fan of klim but after I switch I would never go back!

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Did someone here say motor first is a big player? I have a friend that wears motor fist and he hates it!! Sympatex is the MOST breathable by far... It is very very underestimated and going going to take over IMO..... It's 100% waterproof and wind proof... And unlike gortex it stretches..... Huge plus as the more you work and the harder you work... The more the membrane opens up. I was always a huge fan of klim but after I switch I would never go back!

Heard from a friend from a friend..... You know what I believe.. to each their own.. I FULLY trust and Believe in the Motorfist gear.. I do, however have a Lot of respect for the Klim product. I am not familiar with Doo products, but I'm sure research and development has produced a quality product.
Motorfist's incorporation of E-Vent does exactly what they say, in my opinion. I have worn most of the products, (none of the insulated products) and I have found they all perform perfectly. My children wear Motorfist, not only when they go sledding, but when they go Skiing, boarding, tobogganing, and just getting to and from school. When worn together the base, midlayer and outershells offer breathability, waterproofness, and warmth. I do know that when people wear the gear incorrectly, wearing hoodies under their shell, it'll get cold.. Not because the Motorfist Jacket is not warm, but because Cotton acts like a sponge and should never ever be worn sledding. I find that people need to try the gear on, to see what fits them best. The Big Mountain Line up, is a little bigger fitting and stretchy than the Rekon. Both are Event.

Have a good night.

Trish

thunder44

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have had my Helium 30 jacket since the spring of 2011. I have never been wet or cold and we have rode at -20 . I wear Merino wool as a base layer and then for a mid layer I wear klim. So far I am going into my 3rd season with my jacket and I am really happy with it. Oh and I use to own Klim gear , I still like it unless I am really riding hard and sweating , I find Klim doesn't breath very well and I end up sweaty and cold when we stop.

Good luck with whatever you decide. I think all the gear works as long as you have a good base and mid layer.

T-team

"big deal"
Reaction score
Not saying I know anything about motor first just an opinion.. My friend does not like his stuff very much. Was just trying to say I didn't think those were the only big players. I don't think people are giving BRPs stuff a fair chance but it will come once people start wearing it! But yes klim... If like you said is used properly.. And layered properly will never steer a guy wrong. Have no first hand experience on motofist

Top Bottom